Any no vax CA mamas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-16-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to California and having a hard time finding a doc who will see my no vax children Haven't looked in Petaluma, Napa or Santa Rosa yet but willing to drive there if I have to. Any no vax doc recommendations for those areas? How about Cotati or Sebastapol?? Looking for a doc that I don't have to explain myself to.

One office here said that only one of the docs in the practice would see my kids if I agreed to sign a form they had which from what I understood over the phone the form says that I understand that I am putting my no vax child at risk against the advice of my children's doctor. I'd rather not sign anything like that. When asked if this was required by the State of CA she said no, just a form that they have in their office. She also said that I would have to sing the form so that they could "log your children into the registry". Hmmm, not liking the sounds if that either.

Anyone else had similar issues? Man I thought CA was going to be so relaxed on this issue Maybe I should have listened to my inner hippie and lived in Sebastapol!

:
#2 of 8 Old 07-16-2010, 04:07 PM

Where are you located exactly?

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#3 of 8 Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Just outside of Sonoma, CA near Glen Ellen.

:
#4 of 8 Old 07-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Oh I'm quite a bit south of you (I'm south of San Francisco). We have a very supportive no-vax pedi but she's too far away from where you are.

Have you tried family docs or homeopathic docs yet? I keep hearing they are much more accepting of not vaxing. In general I feel like the people around me are very non-chalant about non-vaxers... I've not had trouble with preschools etc, we are definitely not the only people around here who don't vax. But my old pedi did pressure me about it, I think just because she's a pedi and they're very focused on that.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#5 of 8 Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 PM

I'd call ped offices in Sebastopol, honestly. Although chances are good you'd find several in Santa Rosa, also.

I'm a bit south of you too, and it hasn't been an issue with our ped.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 8 Old 07-17-2010, 07:18 PM
AJP

Try calling some family practitioners rather than pediatricians, and some osteopathic doctors (DOs) are also more open. Also check if there's an anthroposophic doctor in your area, they are MDs who also have additional training in anthroposophy. (In case you don't know what that means, it's the philosophy developed by Rudolph Steiner, ala Waldorf Education.) There's a directory here http://www.paam.net/ and I see one in Petaluma. The one we know doesn't push routine vax at all, she only very gently suggests tetanus and I'm sure would never refuse to accept non-vaxed patients. There's a lot about anthroposophy that doesn't click for me, but many of the medical aspects do, and avoiding routine vax for normal childhood illnesses is part of the philosophy. If that directory doesn't help, try calling local Waldorf schools and ask if they know of any doctors that many of the parents there use, the proportion of non-vaxing families in Waldorf schools is much higher than the general population.

There is no secret ingredient.
#7 of 8 Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 PM

I agree about checking family practitioners. Our first few pediatrition visits were at the Petaluma Health Center (I did my final prenatal care there too) and nobody gave us grief about not vaccinating. I wouldn't say they were totally thrilled about it, but they accepted that is what we were planning to do.

Oddly we are now at Kaiser in Santa Clara and they seem ok with it too. Shocks me, but its cool.
#8 of 8 Old 07-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Check out pediatricalternatives
http://www.pediatricalternatives.com/main_page.html

I hear raves about them

AP HB Mama to three beautiful girls!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page