Kaiser Water Birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Northern California moms,

Do you know if any Kaiser up north offers water births? I'm in Santa Rosa and would travel to SF, East Bay, or Sac for a water birth.

Also, has anyone done Kaiser for their prenatal care but hired a privately hired a midwife for a home birth?

Thanks!
Jen

Jen, Wife to DH Rob, Mama to DD Paige 17 months and Lab/Doberman Jedi 5 years, and a new little friend due 3.22.11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 01:40 AM

I have heard from many friends who've delivered at Kaiser Walnut Creek that they have at least one birthing tub, and that they'll let you labor in it, but not birth in it. Not sure what they'd do if you refused to get out

AP HB Mama to three beautiful girls!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That's a start at least!

Jen, Wife to DH Rob, Mama to DD Paige 17 months and Lab/Doberman Jedi 5 years, and a new little friend due 3.22.11
Old 07-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Hi Jen,

Rumor has it that the new L&D floor at Santa Rosa Kaiser will have birthing tubs available. I'm due to birth there sometime in the next two weeks, so I'm missing out. I don't know when the new facility is supposed to open, but I see you're not due til the spring-maybe it'll be ready for you.

We have been receiving prenatal care at Kaiser, but have also hired a local midwife to act as our monatrice at home and to accompany us to the hospital as our doula. Hoping this will enable us to spend the least amount of time possible at the hospital in order to avoid interventions.

I do have several friends who are doing homebirth with midwives, and receiving concurrent care at Kaiser. There are several midwives on staff there who used to be homebirth midwives, and they tend to be supportive if you're deemed low-risk and don't live too far from the hospital. Have heard that some of the OBs are adamantly anti and don't mince words in telling you so.

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM

I'm also bay area Kaiser (due Jan 2011), and would LOVE to at least have the option of laboring in the water... I have heard rumors of a water tub at Kaiser Walnut Creek and at Kaiser SF, but I have yet to substantiate either. My understanding is they consider the liability of birthing the the water too high, so I wouldn't count on finding that anywhere through Kaiser. But if you find out anything, please let me know!!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Almostamom! I have my 7 week appointment at Kaiser tomorrow and I'll probably switch from my old OB John Parker (he was actually a pretty natural minded OB) to the midwife Suzan Garcia-Wells. She supposedly was a homebirth midwife in Mendocino for years. Good luck on your delivery! I had a good experience at Kaiser for my first baby 18 months ago. My midwife for my delivery was Sherry Lester and she was AMAZING. I hope you have a good experience and if you go in with a doula you'll be all good.

I'm seriously thinking about doing all my prenatal care at Kaiser but also hiring a homebirth midwife to do a homebirth. I'll let you girls know what I can find out about the new Santa Rosa facility and birthing tubs... I can't believe it's still not finished yet!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 AM

Walnut Creek does have 1 Built-in tub. But if another mom is in that room, you're out of luck. They show you the room w the tub on the tour, just to show how "progressive" they are. But honestly, i wouldnt make that drive to deliver at Kaiser if there were any other option.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 PM

I dont know about water birth, but i just found out yesterday that Kaiser Hayward is cert Baby Friendly. If i had known that, i would have actually considered delivering there instead of at home.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 PM

I have heard rumor that South Sacramento Kaiser is now offering water birth. I gave birth to my DD there and it was a great experience. Shavan Perry was my favorite midwife there.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:11 AM

I can't believe kaiser is having there L&D in Santa Rosa redone when they should be putting the money into San Rafael. Kaiser hospital in San Rafael doesn't even have a L&D. You would think they would be making one there. Someone in Marin with Kaiser has to drive an hour either direction just to get to a hospital that has the means to deliver their baby. Some things about kaiser really bug me. For what it's worth, I had a horrible experience at kaiser santa rosa in 2003. I hope things have changed since then.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 AM

I would get in touch with the womens health and birth center on summerfield road in santa rosa. If they can't help you have the water birth, they can probably point you in the right direction. I had DD there and it was wonderful
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM

I'm glad to hear kaiser in santa rosa does have a tub for water births. That is what i will be doing for my second in december.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:35 AM

E

Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM

water birth

Hi-

did you end up doing a water water birth in santa rosa? if so how was your experience? thanks!

katie

User Tag List