Anyone in Fresno? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-02-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We are very very tentatively thinking about relocating to Fresno. While I spent my first 19 years living there (well, in the foothills), I need some info now that I am a mother.

I currently have a SUPER great pediatrician who support us not Vaxing. Will it be hard to find a new one?
Crunchy playgroups?
Homeschooling support groups?
Breastfeeding (beyond infancy) support?
General crunch factor.

I remember it being fairly conservative, which is not a problem, but I would love to know that there is support and playgroups that share some of my philosophies.

Thanks!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#2 of 14 Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

No-one, really?

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

ok, never-mind about the other questions....

Anyone in Fresno at all? Wanting to find playgroups.

#4 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Santa Cruz County, so Fresno isn't too far. People in my area tend to not have that great of an opinion of it, but I have never lived there. I would suggest Aromas. It has good homeschool resources and church. It's also very near Santa Cruz which is EXREMELY crunchy.
#5 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 11:20 PM

There's a huge AP Mommies group on Yahoo.

Here is a link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fresnoapannouncements/

I live about an hour north so I'm not on the group anymore but there seemed to be a pretty vibrant AP community with loads of info on good pediatricians, playgroups, etc.

This site has some good general family friendly info: http://fresnofamily.com/

The Discovery Center has a great reputation but I've never been there: http://www.thediscoverycenter.net/

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#6 of 14 Old 10-01-2010, 03:40 AM

Went to school at Cal Poly SLO, so kinda near Fresno. I don't know much about it other than it is very conservative as you said. Is this an option or a must that you move?
#7 of 14 Old 10-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Hi! I live in Fresno, though we are currently about to relocate to Salinas. There is an AP mommies group and also a thriving natural chilbirth community (check out http://www.childbirthresourcenetwork.com). Like any place, there are good and bad parts, but honestly I don't know why Fresno gets such a bad rep. Good luck to you! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

For a pediatrician, I recommend Dr. Donald Fields, DO of Yosemite Pediatrics. He's currently our pediatrician and very non-vax-friendly. (559) 439-7407

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#8 of 14 Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! We will be Fresno residents as of mid november, so getting nervous. Thanks for the links.

#9 of 14 Old 11-20-2010, 12:45 AM

Hi, I'm a native Fresnan :)  Been here all my life and don't plan on going anywhere else anytime soon. 

Have you made the move here yet?  I'd love to get to know you, because I honestly didn't think I'd ever find another Fresno mama on MDC.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#10 of 14 Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 PM

I totally don't know what I'm doing...  lol 

But i was looking on here for ideas for a new pediatritian and I saw the post about Dr. Feilds...  I was currently with Dr Kratzer and I love that he gets us out of the hostpital fast and with the least amount of intervention.  But the last time I felt so much pressure from him about opting out of the vax. 

Him and his NP were even kind of pressuring me about vaccinating my first child.  I just really want to go to the dr only when we need a dr.  lol 

Anyways, anymore info on Dr. Fields would be great!  Or should I just do like an office interview with him?

Thanks!

#11 of 14 Old 10-30-2011, 06:19 PM

Hi!! I know this thread is old, but I'm a new-to-Fresno SAHM with a toddler and a young baby. I would LOVE to meet-up for playdates for my toddler. I'm also interested in finding a friend to walk with and/or bake with/for. I don't have a car during the day, though, so I need to work around that...

PM me if you want to talk playdate/playgroup, walking, or baking stuff. I'm in North Fresno.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#12 of 14 Old 12-16-2011, 07:09 PM

Hi - we recently relocated for my husband's work to Clovis (outside of Fresno) earlier this year. I was lucky enough to find the wonderful MOMS Club (it's affiliated with the international group). There are a few different chapters in this area according to where you live in town. You can look it up through the int'l website, I believe. I am pregnant and haven't met a *whole* lot of other people interested in nat. birth. But I'm at Fresno Women's Medical Group and they seem natural birth-friendly, at least. It's definitely fairly conservative here but if you look hard there are definitely others interested in these topics!! Good luck!

#13 of 14 Old 12-14-2012, 09:38 AM

Sorry I know this thread is old but I just moved to Fresno this week and am looking for a good pediatrician who would be supportive of non-vax or delayed-vax AND takes medi-cal. Kratzer and fields do not. greensad.gif also just wondering if there is anything else going on that I could be involved with in Fresno. Thanks ladies! orngbiggrin.gif

Wife to dh_malesling.GIF ; Mama to A (M/C at 16wks 2011) angel1.gif and love-of-my-life DD M (BORN May 2012) luxlove.gif and S (M/C at 7wks June 2013) angel1.gif and rainbow1284.gif Rainbow Baby due in April 2014 3rdtri.gifjoy.gif
h20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif
#14 of 14 Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 PM

I'm a Fresno mama. Welcome!! Are you on Facebook? We have an awesome AP group that is quite active online and for meet ups. If you want, pm me your name and email addy and I'll try to get you connected. I don't know about peds that take medi-cal. Ill post a question to the group though.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page