UP/UC experiences in CA? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-16-2010, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I are ttc. Actually, I highly suspect we've succeeded...but even blood tests won't come back positive for me until I'm at least 8wks along!

Anyway, we're in CA...and this is my third. I have no reason to believe preg and childbirth will be anything but smooth sailing for me. The only problems I had with my first two were entirely caused by interfering health care providers directly, or at least by my naively abiding by their advice and instructions. I am NOT dealing with all that trouble again! Dh and I both have absolute confidence in our ability, without any help, to not-screw-up a basic natural process. lol

I am a bit concerned about Big Brother, though. I know that refusing to participate in it's monitor/control measures (like "regular medical care", public schooling, hospital births, etc)...I make myself a target for even more invasive monitoring/controlling measures. *sigh* I would love some input from folks that have btdt (or known people that have) in my area. I understand that every county has different requirements for birth certs. What kind of hoops did they make you jump through to get one? Did you have dealings w CPS regarding the preg/birth? How did that go? When (if ever) did you take the baby to a Dr. after birth? How did the Dr. react? What was the local climate like, socially? Friends, family, neighbors? Were people supportive or contentious?

Any tips or advice are totally welcome. We really are set on doing this ourselves, though. Being prepared in advance to deal with any negative social/legal fallout really seems much less daunting than trying to protect an unborn child from 9 months plus a birth full of life threatening interferences.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#2 of 5 Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
California is a very large state that has pockets of everything. If you post the general area in which you live you might have better luck finding information. It is going to vary a lot.
#3 of 5 Old 10-17-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Fair enough. lol I was thinning it down SO much from the UC board, by limiting it to state. heh. I'm in Monterey County.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#4 of 5 Old 10-23-2010, 01:31 AM

We just had a home birth here in Hollywood. Our midwife told us a story of how a family wanted an unassisted home birth. The midwives agreed to be present but not in the room, they waited in the living room while the woman labored in the bedroom. (The woman was worried that her partner would be too uneasy if the midwives were not near and in turn she would be unable to concentrate on her work). The midwives did not need to intervene, they were able to birth alone.... well kind of. I don't know if that is an option for you
As far as birth certificates go I am not sure. We were required to show a letter stating the dates of my prenatal care, my LPM, due date and date of birth in addition to record of her first ped, visit, Both letters needed to be signed by the health care providers. I also needed proof of residence. You should check with the county clerk for their policies.
I hope this helps.....
Good luck to you! I hope it works out!
#5 of 5 Old 10-29-2010, 03:02 AM

I feel you sister! I mostly UP'd but did have a pregnancy confirmation filled out for the WIC office which was requested in filing for the birth certificate. I also had to have a form filled out by a doctor saying that I had had a baby (which I got my chiropractor to sign). I also had to bring a witness from the birth to the city to sign that they were there. To ease things for yourself a bit, just say that it was a unexpected quick labor and that you just decided not to call anybody because it went so well.

After my birth I had some problems and transfered to hospital and was asked about my prenatal care. I was flagged in the system for not having any records and a social worker was required to interview me. I showed my own records (weight, BP ect) and explained that I made an educated choice to birth at home, and didn't have any problems from that point forward. Likely you won't have to deal with this unless you have to go to the hospital.

As for big brother, I haven't felt him bearing down but I do think about it. I was sure to bring the babe a day after birth to the ped, and haven't missed a well baby visit (even though non-vaxing makes them kinda useless) because I want to have a record of my "good parenting" in the event CPS was ever questioning my choices.

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page