Bay Area playgroups/playdates? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I'm Ami. I have 2 boys, Stephen who's 3 and Elias who is 1 months. I am wondering if there are either any active playgroups in the area? I know there are 'pay' play groups, but are there any that are, well, free?

If not, I'm thinking of starting one. Any interest?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 01:19 AM

Congrats on the new baby!! I dont live in SJ, but I am from there so I thought I would say hi. Holistic Moms Network has a sj chapter, they are a paid membership but you can go to one free meeting and see if you like any mamas who will give you advice on a playgroup.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 AM

I would love to! I'm in Santa Clara, and I have one kid who is almost 17 months old.

I tried Las Madres for awhile but it didn't click for me. You can PM me if you want details though. There is also a local babywearing chapter that meets once a month.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I would love to! I'm in Santa Clara, and I have one kid who is almost 17 months old.

I tried Las Madres for awhile but it didn't click for me. You can PM me if you want details though. There is also a local babywearing chapter that meets once a month.
Where in Santa Clara? I used to live there until this last April. I'd love to move back there at some point. Lovely parks, very walkable community.

I'd love to meet up and let our littles play while we chat. What days are good for you?

For some reason, I've never heard of a a babywearing chapter. I don't see lots of babywearing where I am, but I get lots of positive feedback. It would be lovely to find some like-minded people to hang out with. When/where do they meet?

Woodland, I went to a Holistic Mom's Network meeting a couple years ago, but they weren't very kid friendly. It seemed most of them left their kids at home? Do you know if this chapter is like this?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 11-03-2010, 07:28 PM

I have two boys, 16 mos and 4. we just moved to cupertino about 3 months ago. I'd be interested in a play group of some kind - maybe meet at a park while the weather is still nice?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oooh, this sounds like it might just get off the ground!

I car share with dh, so I can meet any weekday evening or weekend. We are still trying to figure out a way to get a second car, so this may change soon. If the weather doesn't cooperate, is it okay to have an alternate indoor location to meet up at? It's amazing how quickly the weather here changes!

I love the Santa Clara Central Park. It's literally next to the Santa Clara library. They have a duck pond and a really lovely littles playground, plus a separate, "big kids" (6+ yr old) playground. Anyone know/have any fave parks?

For indoor location, I know Valley Fair has a small child play area. That way, if we want to get something to eat or drink afterwards, it would be within a 5 min walk. If anyone has another indoor location idea, share!

I think once we agree on day/time/location, we can exchange phone #'s by PMs and take it from there?

Sound good?

Also, if there are any lurkers out there, jump in! The more the merrier!

Ami

Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 AM

Hi mamas! I'm in Palo Alto with my DS who is 13 months old. I'd be interested in a play group, but also wanted to point you all to APPen (attachment parents of the penninsula) appen.org. There is a fee to join, but it's nominal ($2 a month) and they have two play groups a week plus monthly activities. And it's just a really nive group of parents and a great way to meet people and find community. I can't recommend it enough. My son and I go to one park/play day a week and really enjoy it.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 11-05-2010, 02:46 PM

I'm in foster city, but if you all are doing it on weeknights or weekends I could join in!

Dh and I also car share, so I'm limited during the day as well.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 PM

I also really like Everett Alverez Jr. park too. Its off of Winchester kind of over by Valley Fair. They have a toddler and a kids structure right next to one another, and lots of good shade seating. Plus I have never found broken glass in the sand there like at the park closer to my house .

I could certainly meet at Valley Fair...heck the play area is right by Starbucks . We could meet at the library too. There also is a cool children's section at the Rose Garden library branch, and that is also right next to a great kid's play area (and the Rose Garden...and a Starbucks ). Oh, and there is a great community room there too...so maybe that would be another good rainy day option.

I'm getting excited!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
Hi mamas! I'm in Palo Alto with my DS who is 13 months old. I'd be interested in a play group, but also wanted to point you all to APPen (attachment parents of the penninsula) appen.org. There is a fee to join, but it's nominal ($2 a month) and they have two play groups a week plus monthly activities. And it's just a really nive group of parents and a great way to meet people and find community. I can't recommend it enough. My son and I go to one park/play day a week and really enjoy it.
Which day do you go? I looked them up and sent off an email. It sounds lovely and close-knit, which is something I am looking forward to hopefully starting down here too. It's so easy to be disconnected in the Bay Area. With the wonderful weather, beautiful places to go to, it's a shame to not forge a closer bond with people here.

Quote:
I also really like Everett Alverez Jr. park too. Its off of Winchester kind of over by Valley Fair. They have a toddler and a kids structure right next to one another, and lots of good shade seating. Plus I have never found broken glass in the sand there like at the park closer to my house .

I could certainly meet at Valley Fair...heck the play area is right by Starbucks . We could meet at the library too. There also is a cool children's section at the Rose Garden library branch, and that is also right next to a great kid's play area (and the Rose Garden...and a Starbucks ). Oh, and there is a great community room there too...so maybe that would be another good rainy day option.

I'm getting excited!
I really like the Rose Garden Library idea. That way, we can meet up there, and depending on the weather, take the kids to the play area or let them play in the children's section! Or do BOTH! If the kids get antsy inside, we can take them outside, and vice versa. Ahhhh, all possibilities covered.

And I love the Starbucks location being taken into account. I was trying to think of places near a coffee shop too. Unfortunately, all the coffee shops I used to go to were pre-kids, so not kid friendly.

So, time wise, is 4:30 or a bit later okay with everyone? This is during the weekday.

What day of the week is best? I'm open any day of the week, 4:30pm or later. For weekends, I'm available anytime after 1pm. Hmmm, if we do weekends, we might also be able to do a dad's playgroup too. That way, later on, we can switch off who watches the littles while we get some adult convo, AND have our significant others also meet other like-minded men. Eh, it's an idea.

Ami

Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hopefully I didn't kill this thread.

Ami

Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 AM

Oh gosh no! I was just checking actually to see if anyone posted.

After 4:30 on weekdays is fine for me. Weekends it depends on what's up. I'm up in Sonoma County lots of weekends because my mom won't drive down to see me .

Let's set a day. I'm wide open (read: no life) except for maybe Friday if I go back to the Foster City meetup (are you going to come too Ami?).
Old 11-08-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

So, how does 5pm this Thursday at the Rose Garden Library sound?

Either that, or 2pm this Saturday at the Rose Garden Library?

Yes? No?

I can't make it to the Friday meet up since dh doesn't get off until 4pm.

Ami

Old 11-08-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
So, how does 5pm this Thursday at the Rose Garden Library sound?

Either that, or 2pm this Saturday at the Rose Garden Library?

Yes? No?

I can't make it to the Friday meet up since dh doesn't get off until 4pm.

Ami
I'm good for Thursday! Sat. I'm up north.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm good for Thursday! Sat. I'm up north.
nak
Thursday it is then!

Change of location though. This thursday is veteran's day so libraries are closed. Valley fair ok?

So it's me, Chamomile Girl, and anyone else? What about you, tallulahma?

those who are coming (and don't worry if you can only make it a bit later), pm me and we'll exchange #s.

Ami

Ami

Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM

This Thursday is the only day this entire month that I am unavailable! Maybe next week?

I am possibly going to be in Felton area on Saturday. If weather is good we are heading up there to play in the woods and have a picnic.

If your interested maybe we could meet up sometime then?

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 11-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
nak
Thursday it is then!

Change of location though. This thursday is veteran's day so libraries are closed. Valley fair ok?

So it's me, Chamomile Girl, and anyone else? What about you, tallulahma?

those who are coming (and don't worry if you can only make it a bit later), pm me and we'll exchange #s.

Ami

Ami
Wow, I am glad you caught that! Valley Fair it is then, at 5:00.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Hey ladies!  I have two girls 5 and 2.5 years and just moved to the area a few months ago.  I'm currently in Menlo Park, but can drive.  My major time constraint is kindergarten which is 8:30 to 12:30 every day.  I'm also expecting so I've been super sick lately.  I would love to meet some mommies as my four walls have been closing in!!  I miss talking to people!  Hopefully I will start feeling better soon considering I'm 9 weeks on Saturday.  Let's hope so!

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

YAY!

I've tried PMing everyone, but the new site won't let me. Grrrr.

Anyways, tomorrow, Thursday, November 11, at 5pm (ish--I'm Greek, I'm cool with lateness, lol) there WILL be a meetup at Valley Fair, at the play center near Macy's.

See you all there!

Ami

Old 11-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Are you ladies planning another meetup anytime soon?  I'm looking to branch out - I'm all the way up in Redwood City but drive down to The Pruneyard for movies (Diaper Date nights at the Pruneyard, anyone? I love 'em!) so why not for a playgroup? I've got one nearly 14-month old.

(Anyone closer up to my area, or anyone in the general area, feel free to PM me!)

Meaghan (29)  Torq's wife (34); Niall's SAHM (9/09); Rivka's birthmom (6/03)
Old 11-16-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Meaghan!

The next meet up is supposed to be this Thursday at 5pm at the Rose Garden Library. Anyone else up for it?

Is the day/time ok? If not, any other suggestions for a regular day/meet time? :)

Ami

Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Helloo! I've got a 6.5 yr old boy and one on the way :) Wouldn't mind having some afternoon playdates after school. Although my son seems to be the oldest... :) hopefully thats alright.

Mondays are really good for us right now. And anytime on the weekends.

Baby Boy due in Early March!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:57 PM

Oops!  I missed this - haven't had a chance to check here until today. Looks like I missed it, again! 

I guess let me know when the next one is?

Meaghan (29)  Torq's wife (34); Niall's SAHM (9/09); Rivka's birthmom (6/03)

User Tag List