Santa Barbara Mamas?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, 

I a wondering where the alternative holistic families hang out and what neighborhoods you like. We might be heading your way!!

joy.gif

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#2 of 31 Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure where the holistic families hang out, but SB has more non profits and chiropractors per capita than any other place I have ever lived. I'm sure you can find your tribe here. I live down town and love it but there are other wonderful neighborhoods. Carpenteria is very sweet! Isla Vista is very crunchy in comparison with say, Hope Ranch. 

There are several Farmer's Markets throughout the county but the downtown SB Saturday market is a good meeting place for other crunchies.

Isla Vista has a food coop worth looking into. The Sunday art and crafts show is for local artists and crafters to show and sell their work.

This might be helpful to you-

http://www.santabarbara.com/community/

#3 of 31 Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Good Info E.V.Lowi, Thanks!!

#4 of 31 Old 01-27-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Are there any neighborhoods to stay away from?

#5 of 31 Old 01-27-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlucca View Post

Are there any neighborhoods to stay away from?

Personally, I would rather live in the worst neighborhood in Santa Barbara, than to move elsewhere, but the Milpas neighborhood on the lower east side has been struggling from an increase in the homeless population who have been drawn to the area by the shelter. Gang related crime is also a problem but not limited to that area. I have never felt unsafe here and go walking at night as many of my friends do. Downtown has a lively night scene. I think we have more bars than other places, too which can be a problem, but for the most part this is a very family friendly area.

Check out the Independent classifieds and Craigslist for rentals and job openings. 

http://www.independent.com/

#6 of 31 Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Just wanted to say we are coming that way in the fall, from Chicago! probably will live in UCSB housing for the first year at least...not sure how that will go! i hope to find a good school for my 5 year old in that area. any tips ladies?

#7 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmama View Post

Just wanted to say we are coming that way in the fall, from Chicago! probably will live in UCSB housing for the first year at least...not sure how that will go! i hope to find a good school for my 5 year old in that area. any tips ladies?

Are you considering private schools, or just public?

#8 of 31 Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 PM

well of course i love the idea of waldorf or montessouri, and i explored the websites, but we can't afford that. I will be a full time nurse (hopefully at cottage children's) and he will be in a full time phD program.

so...public. but i want to do half days, i love having him around. <3

#9 of 31 Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 PM

mkmama- This charter school might be a good fit for your son. It's very well regarded-

http://sbcharter.org/

#10 of 31 Old 03-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Carpinteria is a lovely little town, but it's a small town for sure.  Most of the residents have lived there for decades, and everyone knows everyone.  There's no such thing as privacy there.  If something happens, everyone will know.  I thought my husband was kidding.  I found out he wasn't.  He lived there all but one year of his life, his mom's lived there since the 70's, and his dad was born there in 1954 and only move away a few years ago.  If you move there, don't move to the house with the leprechaun on the garage.  Take my word for it.  The landlords are scum, but being a small town, the owner's wife is personal friends with the person in charge of rental housing inspections.

It's a wonderful town to visit though.  Linden is one of my favorite streets in the world, and the Worker Bee cafe down there is run personally by the owners.  The husband is the cook, and his wife waits on all the tables.  

The Santa Barbara area is wonderful.  Even the courthouse is stunningly gorgeous  The only real downside is the cost.

#11 of 31 Old 03-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Thank you so much! i'm looking into it!

#12 of 31 Old 03-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Alrighty...I applied to charter but am now on the waiting list as the lottery occured last month. :( Am looking into the HomeStudy program as well...i love the idea of homestudy and have researched it, but with Matt as full time student and me as a full time nurse i don't know that we could swing it. :(

#13 of 31 Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Hi there!

I'm going to be moving from Brooklyn to SB this summer with my 3 year old son, musician husband who travels a lot, and (hopefully!) our cat --- and don't have a clue what we are getting into, aside from some surfing lessons.  I was placed at the UCSB counseling center to do a final practicum year in order to complete my clinical psychology doctorate.  We are excited to spend a year in the 'American Riviera', as it were, but also becoming a bit anxious about moving away from our own not-quite-mainstream tribe/people, here in the city where no one looks at you funny for anything.  I'm hoping to find some parents who won't think I am a weirdo for wanting a pediatrician who won't throw antibiotics at my kid if I need to bring him in, or a daycare that considers nutrition - nothing radical, but keeps it in mind.  We are thinking about Carpinteria being our speed, but also intrigued by the chance to bike to UCSB if we were to live in Goleta.  And of course, we love the idea of living in downtown, and maybe still being able to walk to a store if we are out of yogurt..    

So essentially.  HI.  I'm looking forward to finding some of our people out there and settling into the sunny, beachy world out there for a bit.

Thanks!  Appropriate Emoticons!!

#14 of 31 Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Not to worry- you will find your tribe here! There are more DOs, NDs and chiropractors per capita than any other town of it's size, I'm sure.

I love Carp too and love to wander around there.

Good luck with the move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommahatch View Post

Hi there!

I'm going to be moving from Brooklyn to SB this summer with my 3 year old son, musician husband who travels a lot, and (hopefully!) our cat --- and don't have a clue what we are getting into, aside from some surfing lessons.  I was placed at the UCSB counseling center to do a final practicum year in order to complete my clinical psychology doctorate.  We are excited to spend a year in the 'American Riviera', as it were, but also becoming a bit anxious about moving away from our own not-quite-mainstream tribe/people, here in the city where no one looks at you funny for anything.  I'm hoping to find some parents who won't think I am a weirdo for wanting a pediatrician who won't throw antibiotics at my kid if I need to bring him in, or a daycare that considers nutrition - nothing radical, but keeps it in mind.  We are thinking about Carpinteria being our speed, but also intrigued by the chance to bike to UCSB if we were to live in Goleta.  And of course, we love the idea of living in downtown, and maybe still being able to walk to a store if we are out of yogurt..    

So essentially.  HI.  I'm looking forward to finding some of our people out there and settling into the sunny, beachy world out there for a bit.

Thanks!  Appropriate Emoticons!!

#15 of 31 Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Hi, Mommahatch!  Just wanted to say that if you live near the Ellwood area in Goleta (ie to the northwest of the university, but not in Isla Vista), it's possible to live within biking distance of UCSB and walking distance of a grocery store and other shopping, and there's also a lot of wild space and a butterfly preserve nearby.  We moved out of there last fall to get a house with my husband's girlfriend and her other partner, but it was a great neighborhood.  Very diverse, with a mix of university people, who tend to be pretty liberal.  I also know some clinical psychology grad students living over there, but neither of them has kids.  The other thing is, you probably don't want to live in Isla Vista, unless you don't mind noisy. 

#16 of 31 Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM

hey hey!   thanks so much for the tip!   So far, all I'd gotten about Goleta was that it was pretty surburban and mostly big box stores, which pointed us back towards downtown.  It's good to know this about Ellwood so we can include it in our search.  DId you move somewhere else in SB, or out of town?  Any other tips are very welcome - we are still hoping for a great break and/or realtor who knows about secret little 1-2 bedroom gems that'll be available july or august.  And have our fingers crossed that a space will open up for my almost 3 year old son at UCSB's daycare.  Etc.  Wheeeee! Moving cross country!  Again! Last time was from New Mexico...but not with a kiddo :)

#17 of 31 Old 03-30-2011, 04:42 PM

It's true, some of the walking-distance shopping is in big box stores, and the grocery store is your run-of-the-mill Albertsons.  But there's also non-Starbucks coffee and a farmer's market at the Camino Real marketplace twice a week, and if you're biking from UCSB, it wouldn't be too far out of the way to go by the food co-op in Isla Vista on your way home.  (BTW, I'm really talking about the area just east of Ellwood, around Canon Green and Pacific Oaks--Ellwood itself is too far for easy walking from the grocery store or farmer's market--or you could live in Ellwood and have easy access to the bluffs and butterfly preserve, but bike everywhere else)  Downtown is more scenic and probably somewhat crunchier.  If I were only going to be in Santa Barbara for a year, I might live downtown to feel like I was getting the full experience.  Depending on how other factors weigh out for you, though, that part of Goleta is a good lifestyle.  I can't remember how we found our place there, but it was either from Craig's list or the UCSB housing office.

For our pediatrician, we like Margot Roseman, who's fairly crunchy and is one of the doctors our midwives recommended.  The other one was Dr. Vichai Phungrasamee, but I don't know anything about him other than that he's homebirth-friendly.  

We still live in Goleta, off of Patterson now.  It's not as convenient to stores, but it has a nice playground and is still bikeable to UCSB (which is important to us because my husband and his partner are staff).  My daughter is a year and a half now, so my knowledge of three year old stuff is limited to hearsay, but let me know if you have any other questions or want to hang out once you're here!

#18 of 31 Old 07-19-2011, 10:52 PM

Location: Carpinteria, CA ( about 8 miles South of Santa Barbara)

May have my daughter start at SB Charter School this Fall. Love to hear any and all opinions about it. We are very excited.

Thank you.

#19 of 31 Old 07-19-2011, 10:53 PM

Location: Carpinteria, CA ( about 8 miles South of Santa Barbara)

Oh, and Carpinteria is the best town ever! Been here 10 years and we really love it. Mayberry by the beach for sure! We don't even lock our doors!!!

#20 of 31 Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM

hi ladies! my husband, almost-three year old son and i have recently moved here from austin, tx and have been here close to three weeks now. we would love to meet other like-minded people. i am also looking for recommendations for midwives and non-vax pusher docs (preferably general practice)? thank u :)

#21 of 31 Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Hi,

My kids have grown and moved away to college but we used these doctors for several years-

http://www.insiderpages.com/doctors/santa-barbara-center-for-natural-medicine-santa-barbara

#22 of 31 Old 07-21-2011, 11:43 AM

#23 of 31 Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 PM

Hi LL13 -

we just got here last week ourselves, from Brooklyn (see above post on the thread for brief backstory).  I'm also seeking docs for the family. I'm going to look into the suggestions by Schlafmanko, and am going to be asking the few other parents I know out here.  I'm glad to pass along anything I find out.   We have lots of folks in Austin, through my singer/songwriter husband, lots of good people there.  We just moved into the Cottage Hospital area, and can walk to Oak Park, which is awesome.  Feel free to be in touch - we sure are escaping summer awfulness in our hometowns, aren't we? :)

LionLady13 likes this.
#24 of 31 Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Does it have to be a doctor? We see a nurse practioner with her own practice- Su Wyatt, SattvaFamily Healthcare. I love her, and will see her for my next child as well...although she does not take insurance.
She truly is one of a kind...
Before her, we went to Roseman, who was nice but a typical 5minute ped visit. Castaneda has also been highly recommended.
#25 of 31 Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Also wanted to add that depending on how old your kiddies are, Mamatoto is the local mom group to join.
#26 of 31 Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM

thank you everyone for the doc recs. love.gifand no they don't have to be a doctor, i'm totally fine with a nurse or even a chiro. i'm going to look into su wyatt and sbcfnm.....and yes mamahatch we're so happy to be escaping the torturous heat. it was 103 our move weekend, pretty brutal! i did really love austin. brooklyn is equally awesome. i used to describe austin as a cross between old school venice, ca and brooklyn thumb.gif..............do you go to any parks around here or are you in any mommy groups?

#27 of 31 Old 07-30-2011, 09:30 PM

LL13.

Sister cities unite! (bk, austin..)

Woot, as it were.

Yeah - we walk to Oak park almost every day, and have been really getting a kick out of going to different beaches most days, or just zipping down to one for an hour at the end of the day kind of thing. it's like being on vacation but all our stuff is here!

Anyhoo - yeah, let's get the kiddos together.  I've met a couple other families at the playgrounds, but are not involved in any groups really, although one person we met added us to a fb group. maybe we ARE in a group...

feel free contact me for any other info, or we can arrange a get together.   i suppose it'd be a blind playdate? ;) 

LionLady13 likes this.
#28 of 31 Old 08-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Hello All,

My mother, Leigh Moross, was approached about being interviewed on the local news in Santa Barbara regarding vaccines choices in the area.  She feels that the perspective would be best served by a woman currently making such decisions.  I don't vax my kids, but I live in Ohio.  Would you or anyone you know be interested in being featured in such an interview?  If so, email me at alloway_dagata@yahoo.com.

Enjoy your day!

Hayley

#29 of 31 Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionLady13 View Post

hi ladies! my husband, almost-three year old son and i have recently moved here from austin, tx and have been here close to three weeks now. we would love to meet other like-minded people. i am also looking for recommendations for midwives and non-vax pusher docs (preferably general practice)? thank u :)

hi! i am in ventura (about 30 min south of sb), but my midwife which i love love with all my heart is mary jackson and she serves sb/ojai/ventura areas...she is exclusively homebirth mw though.

I have also heard good things about Dr. Geeta maker-clark. I'm also interested in non-vax pushy docs as well, any other well regaurded docs known to you mama's? hope youre enjoying sb...hard not to!

#30 of 31 Old 11-01-2011, 03:18 PM

thank you! i've heard of mary and geeta; thank you! :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page