midwifery licensure in CA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are currently in the process of looking at possible places to move in the next few years if DH can't find work here in Washington State after he graduates his woodworking school.  So I'm looking at a few places in CA (Grass Valley, Chico, Santa Cruz, maybe others?)

My question is about CA midwifery licensure.  I'm a midwife here in WA (currently not practicing, being a SAHM but will start up a practice in the next few years.)  It seems that WA and CA have reciprocity of licensure which is good.  However I read that CA requires a midwife to have an OB who "oversees" her and needs to sign something to that measure before she can be licensed?  How in the world does that work if I was to move to a new place without knowing any OBs there...Not to mention I am sure that many OBs flat out will not support homebirth MWs (that is the case here so I am sure it is similar there.)

CA MWs, how does this work?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My guess the best plan would be to join with a group of midwives to get those connections. I believe at least some of the midsives practice in small groups, so they can share responsibilities.

#3 of 5 Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 AM

Yes, this is true, but I do not know of any CPM that have OB back up, BECAUSE OB's mal practice ins will NOT allow them to back up a CPM/LM. So, that is how it is worked around. Law requires it, Ins will not allow it, so it is not done. http://www.californiamidwives.org/ I suggest looking into California Association of Midwifes (CAM). It is a great support for issues such as this.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#4 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 06:46 PM

Dr. Stuart Fischbein runs a practice called A Woman's Place.  He's one of the few doctors that will back midwives, and he's even been out there protesting when a hospital bans midwives.  I've been at protests with him.  He's in Ventura.  If you move here, move to that area and look him up.  He's the doctor who backs my midwife.  You're in good hands with him.

www.supportdrfischbein.com for more info.

#5 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 PM

My MW (in the SF Bay Area) has her own birth center, with a doctor on the board. I bet she could answer your questions!

Her website is http://sagefemme.net. She rocks!

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page