Where in CA to live? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 10-23-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PS we will definitely be renting for a bit at first--gotta sell our house here before we can buy anyway.
#32 of 37 Old 10-23-2011, 05:14 PM

He might be further than you'd like to drive, but I can reccomend a pediatrician. Dr. Zaguli. He was my doctor growing up and my brother and cousin bring their kids to him and still love him. I can't speak to how he feels on vax bc my family (other than me) just follows doctor's orders. But he is a very experienced and kind doctor. He's all the way down in mira mesa - though I think he might have an office in Poway now. My family drives from Rancho Bernardo to see him. 

I'm glad you're so excited! :-) I'm excited for you.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#33 of 37 Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Hey, congratulations on getting the job offer, that is really exciting! I'm really betting you will like CA a lot.

Our farm is JR Organics: http://www.jrorganicsfarm.com/

They are really great people, and great farmers. We've had a CSA membership with them for about 2 years and have really loved it. It's the second CSA we've had, we like them a lot better than the last, and comparing it to another farm some of my friends have used JR is my favorite. We pay something like $28/ week for the large box, it always comes with 11 different items (one item is actually 2 heads of lettuce), we pick up at a farmer's market and trade in our lettuce every week (we like pretty much all other greens for our salads), which is something most CSAs don't let you do. Also, we get fruit like avocados, apples, cherries, grapes, and raspberries, which is pretty unusual (in my limited experience) from a CSA. We never get inundated with a single item, which is why I stopped doing a different CSA. I have a family of four, we're vegan so we eat tons of fresh veggies, and I rarely buy any veggies beyond what's in our CSA box, besides potatoes and onions.

As I said, we live in the downtown area so can't really help with north county resources, but I'm sure you will find some great people up there!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#34 of 37 Old 10-24-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Vegan Princess & katroshka--thank you both--very helpful!
#35 of 37 Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 PM

I am living in Vista right now and get the Be Wise CSA...we get the large size (we're vegan too!!) and love it. We get a huge variety of foods....lots of fruit (today we got persimmons, plums, pears, avocados, grapes, tomatoes and apples) awesome veggies (lettuce mix, persian cucumbers, eggplant, butternut squash, carrots) and herbs (parsley, basil plant and cillantro). We pay $30 a week, and it is well worth it.

We love hiking in the Elfin Forest...It is by far my favorite place to hike in North County.

Instead of a ped we see Natasha Wolf, an AWESOME naturopath.

We also love Queen Califia's Magic Garden (and I'm sure you will really appreciate it, as an artist).

I play at the "Sketch Jam" at this gallery every so often.

Anyways, I think we'd be great friends orngbiggrin.gif . My husband and I are musicians and very much a part of the art scene. We should definitely have a play date when you move here (I have a 1 year old daughter)!

#36 of 37 Old 10-26-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

ahimsamom thanks so much for that info! I am psyched to have a like-minded friend in the area already. Will definitely be up for play dates etc. I will PM you once we make the move!
#37 of 37 Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

FYI everyone, we found a rental house in a beautiful location in Ramona and we'll be arriving in 2 weeks. Please feel free to pm me--I'm eager to make new friends in the area!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page