Moving to Redlands area in Aug. Have some questions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My DH and DS and I are moving to the San Bernardino area in August from Michigan. I don't know the area at all (though I lived in San Francisco for 13 yrs) so we are trying to figure out where to settle. People have been mentioning Redlands and Claremont. I am looking for recommendations/any information on towns, neighborhoods and public schools. My DH will be teaching at Cal State San Bern. so we don't want to give him too far a commute.

Thanks in advance!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yucaipa, Redlands, and Loma Linda are going to be the nicer areas to live on that side of the valley. Redlands has a fun little downtown street market, mid-week and is quite a bit more posh than any of the surrounding towns. Loma Linda is full of Seventh-day Adventists, which makes for a safer, more neighborly feel. Great hospital there, and natural foods stores as well - SDAs are big on natural health and healing. There's a lot of new housing going in between Redlands and Loma Linda, so finding a place to live should be pretty easy.

Claremont is a fun little town, too, but I think considerably farther than the Redlands area. Nice student vibe and good eats. I'm not as familiar with Claremont, but it is a peaceful oasis of trees in Freeway-and-Smog Land.

Coming from Michigan, it's going to be a culture shock for you! 

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

User Tag List