Hi there, + APPEN on the Peninsula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies smile.gif I wanted to introduce myself.  I'm generally a lurker on these forums, but I'm relocating to the Peninsula (probably San Mateo) this summer, and so I thought I'd say "hi".  My name is Maia, I'm a 34 year-old grad student, and I have an 11 month old boy.  We (plus doggy and daddy) are VERY excited to be moving to a sunnier climate from dark, damp Seattle, although I am a little anxious about the car-culture and all that stuff that I associate with California.  We're going to rent at first, and we're thinking of trying to do that somewhere within walking distance of San Mateo--any thoughts on that?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows if APPEN--Attachment Parents of the Peninsula--still exists?  I wanted to join, but I wasn't able to due to a Paypal problem on their web page, and then my email to the coordinator was not answered.  Anyone a member or have info?  Is there another group that might be useful for getting to know folks, getting situated, finding a caregiver, etc. in and around San Mateo?

Thanks!

#2 of 11 Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM

hey there! APPEN still exists and is very active.

i STILL Have not become a member, but i have met a bunch of the mamas and it seems great.

we are new to the peninsula.... well, we moved here in august... and i am not too much of a fan. EVERYTHING is a drive and we moved here from the desert so we feel like its always chilly, rainy and overcast. But im sure its nothing compared to where you are!!!

hope you get APPEN figured out soon!

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#3 of 11 Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Tallulahma: Oh boy--chilly and rainy?  And everything's a drive? Darn!  Do you mind if I ask which town you live in?

#4 of 11 Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 AM

I there! I live in Pacifica but we (DW and 5 mo DD) spend a lot of time in and around San Mateo. I hadn't heard of APPEN until now so I'm going to check it out. Thanks and I hope you enjoy the bay area (yes, there is a lot of driving if you aren't living in SF)!!! :)

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#5 of 11 Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdabug View Post

Tallulahma: Oh boy--chilly and rainy?  And everything's a drive? Darn!  Do you mind if I ask which town you live in?

I'm in foster city. And to be fair, we are just not used to the weather, it's hard to live anywhere as warm and sunny as Arizona. So you might wantto ignore my weather comments. My apartment manager is always going on and on over how nice the weather is.
orngbiggrin.gif

#6 of 11 Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 PM

APPen's coordinator just had a baby - email might be slow.  You can contact me at this username at gmail if you want me to pass info on.  I co-organize Bay Area Attached Families - you can find us on Meetup!  

I'm from Seattle and totally miss it. There's no real public transportation here - car culture is driving me crazy!

Meaghan (29)  Torq's wife (34); Niall's SAHM (9/09); Rivka's birthmom (6/03)
#7 of 11 Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 AM

Hi There! Seattle was my #1 relo choice...but we ended up in the Bay Area (#3 for those wondering).  It's not been as wet and chilly as I had hoped (I think I was imagining San Francisco weather), so I would imagine you may like it! Though we're not as far north as San Mateo. If you can embrace the 'car culture' you could live further south. It's quite different in the South Bay, but not too far. Everything seems relatively close (via car) around here.  Welcome!

#8 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Melaniee, we actually have started looking further south, in San Mateo and even West San Jose.  The school districts are obviously a factor!  Thanks for the welcome :)

#9 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Tallulahma--Oh, well Arizona!!  How is Foster City?  I'm told it has SOME kind of little walkable-ish downtown area...is that true??

Ladymeag--thanks, I did just hear back from APPEN yesteday, and I'll check out your meetup group.  Cool!

#10 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 AM

I have actually grown to really like foster city.

I bought a triple jogger (my husband and i share one car) and we are within a mile or two of over 10 parks, grocery store, post office, library, parks and rec, Starbucks, chipotle, jamba juice, etc.

We are only 2-3 miles from whole foods and trader joes.

Only a couple blocks from the 12 mile Bay Trail.

Driving wise, it only takes us 20 minutes to drive to the beach, 30 minutes to get to San Francisco and 30 minutes to San Jose.

It's a little pricey, but it's also really safe.... We go for walks late in the evening and see other families and couples out walking.

I was going to move to the coast, but after thinking it through, we've decided to stay here, for now.

We also have a fun little playgroup going.

#11 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Wow, what a difference a month has made in my opinion of the bay area! Lol

The sun has been shining this past month and we have gotten out o the house almost everyday.

But as you can see from my April post- when it's raining- it is near impossible to get anywhere without driving- for MONTHS.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page