Moving to the bay area - help please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I'm 29 weeks and moving in a few weeks to the bay area. I have the most amazing doctor here in San Diego - Dr. Biter (know him?) - and he serves sort of as a doulo as well. Can someone give me leads on birthing centers and/or midwives. We just bought a house up there and once I get in there I think I'll be able to feel if I want to have a home birth there or not. And I am also open to a hospital if I have to. Any and all advice is so appreciated. I had a great plan and now sort of feel lost.

Thanks gals!

riomidwife likes this.
#2 of 15 Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 PM

To where in the Bay Area are you moving? There are a handful of birthing centers but they are somewhat scattered, so location is pretty important.
#3 of 15 Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

We  bought our house in Novato. I have heard of a birthing center in Santa Rosa. I am hoping to check it out once I get up there first week of May. However, I am really considering a home birth now.

#4 of 15 Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 PM

I don't have any homebirth midwives to recommend so hopefully someone will jump in.

The two closest birth centers to Novato are Sage Femme in San Francisco and the one in Santa Rosa which is the Women's Health and Birth Center. But I'm thinking that you probably knew that lol.

What I can recommend is looking into Petaluma Valley Hospital if you need a backup plan in case of homebirth transfer. I had DS there are they were really awesome. They let me do my own thing as much as possible (move around as much as I needed to, let me eat, use the shower, wear my own clothes, use the birth ball, etc) and they were hugely pro-breastfeeding. Maybe I got lucky with the nurses but they let me sleep with DS even though their "official policy" was he had to be in the lame little baby cart thingie. Because its a small hospital they don't usually have many mothers at once so you get lots of attention (in a good way). I even had my own room.

ANyway welcome to the BA! Novato is a cool location. Its right in the middle of so much beauty, culture and great food!
#5 of 15 Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Awww thanks so much! Do you know of any mommy groups so that I can get to know some women up there? We LOVED Petaluma and looked at a ton of houses there but ended up falling in love with Novato plus it's much closer to Sausalito.

I'll definitely look into the Petaluma hospital.

Thanks so much!

#6 of 15 Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 AM

OMG! You have to check out the Santa Rosa Women's Health and Birth Center. Awesome!! Right now I live about an hour from, but would travel just to deliver there. 

I also suggest looking into the cnm's around Marin county. There is a lot of them with great reputations and they deliver in the hospital. 

We love the North Bay! 

Welcome Mama!

ETA: Sorry scanned too quickly and didn't see you were considering hb. In that case, there is a lot of sf midwives who will also do novato area. Don't know names or suggestions though. Have hear wonderful things about sage femme. 

My doula delivered at UCSF and sad it was a bad experience, but then she delivered in Santa Rosa and said great experience.She lived in Novato at the time. 

always celebrating guitar.gif

#7 of 15 Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamore mama View Post

Awww thanks so much! Do you know of any mommy groups so that I can get to know some women up there? We LOVED Petaluma and looked at a ton of houses there but ended up falling in love with Novato plus it's much closer to Sausalito.

I'll definitely look into the Petaluma hospital.

Thanks so much!

I know that there is a mommy group in Novato, but I don't know any details because I am no longer in the North Bay. Plus I'm pretty much a hermit lol. I do remember reading about it here on MDC though so try doing a search to see what you find.

Happyhippy I totally agree! The North Bay is the best part of the Bay Area. I really miss living there (I'm in the South Bay now, and its just not the same).
#8 of 15 Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM

I'm in the east greensad.gif. Far East. The Land of Boredom. I miss it too. Maybe we will all move back someday.

At least you are close to Santa Cruz. I am close to ....umm the delta eyesroll.gif

always celebrating guitar.gif

#9 of 15 Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 PM

I interviewed some homebirth midwives in the east bay before I realized I was moving. My favorites were Nova Midwifery and Judy Luce. Nova seemed very competent and up-to-date but also warm, and they had two cheerful apprentices in addition to the pair of midwives. Coming from organic farming, I assume a practice that can attract and keep apprentices happy is probably doing something right. Nova requires in-office prenatal visits though and they are in Oakland, a bit of a drive for you. Judy seems extremely experienced and down-to-earth, also easy to relate to, and she practices through home visits, though I guess you would have to check if she goes to Novato, as she is based in Berkeley. She works with a very sweet apprentice who is near certification, and has a really low number of clients per month compared to the others I talked to, which seemed like another good factor.

You should be able to find someone good if you interview a few folks; this area has tons of midwives!

First baby due Oct/Nov 2011. Slowly finding my way...

#10 of 15 Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 AM

For my homebirth this September, I'm working with Beah Haber (East Bay Homebirth Midwifery in Berkeley).  She is a CNM and works with two other midwives who are LPMs.  I highly recommend them so far - great prenatal care, tons of experience and a very gentle touch.   She may also be able to recommend someone closer to you, as well.

http://www.beahmidwife.com/about.html

#11 of 15 Old 05-07-2011, 09:02 AM

Sage Femme now offers homebirths, as well as all the benefits of a facility (they have a birth center, just recently moved to south san francisco). they were on my birth team, and I cannot recommend them enough! http://sagefemme.net

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#12 of 15 Old 05-13-2011, 11:45 AM

I have a dear friend midwife friend in the bay: shiela vanderveer She is wonderful! And brilliant, and alive and full of joy and love!

#13 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM

There is a group called Marin Alternative Mothers group

I also live in Marin a few miles away from you .

I have yet to make the playgroup (something else always comes up) but I will one of these Fridays. The few I have met in the group have been really nice.

Enjoy your move!

Be sure to check out the Civic Center Farmers Market in San Rafael on Thurs & Sun 8-1pm. There are always many moms there!

#14 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome to the area. We've lived in Novato for the last two years, and we've loved it. I had a wonderful home birth with my ds back in '09. My midwife was Joan green and she was great.

We're actually moving to Petaluma next week, which I'm super excited about, but the plan is tO stay for six months and then buy a house back here in Novato

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#15 of 15 Old 06-19-2011, 11:51 PM

look up the bay area homebirth collective, and bay area midwives. the bay area midwives lists areas served, and there are several that list the north bay. sorry i don't have particular references for you, since i'm in the east bay.

my signature is usually illegible

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page