Midwives San Diego - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-01-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all :)

Does anyone know of or have had any experiences (good or bad) with midwives in the San Diego area? I am currently looking to choose a midwife and would love some feedback! Thank you :)

#2 of 9 Old 07-02-2011, 09:30 AM

The most popular choices seem to be Birth Roots, Best Start Birth Center, and the midwives at UCSD. I did a tour of Best Start and decided it wasn't the best fit for me, I saw the midwives at UCSD from about 16 weeks until now, and I'm ultimately going to have a homebirth with the midwives from Birth Roots (they also have a birth center). UCSD was an okay experience for me, I liked most of the midwives. The reason I'm switching so late (I'm 35 weeks) is because we lost our insurance and homebirth is a lot cheaper than paying the whole hospital bill out of pocket.

I forgot to add that I usually saw Beth at UCSD but Jennifer was my favorite. Beth seemed to be a little too eager to do a lot of tests that I felt were unnecessary. I connected better with Jennifer.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#3 of 9 Old 07-05-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Tamera!

#4 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I used Brooke Ray and really had a good experience with her but my birth was pretty straight forward. She was recommended to me by someone who had a more difficult experience than mine and she seemed to handle it well. She used to work for UCSD and does some work on the side with Best Start. PM me if you want more details.

#5 of 9 Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM

Brooke Ray also attended my home births.  I recommend her without reservations.

Teacher, Mother of 4
#6 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I don't know if you already chose a midwife, but I'm currently with Vickii Gervais, and she is amazing!!  She has two decades of experience and is extremely low-key and matter-of-fact about birth.  She only does home births, and she is an acupuncturist too, so she has a thorough understanding of the human body.  The appointments have been peaceful and she spends tons of time answering my questions, and she has never pushed tests and procedures on me, unlike other midwives I interviewed, who seemed ultrasound and test-happy.

I interviewed with Brooke but she just seemed a little "spacy" for me...

Good luck!!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#7 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

I have met with Vickii and she is awesome!  My boyfriend is having reservations about a home birth because he is worried something will go wrong and we will get to the hospital too late. So trying to figure out if I go to UCSD birth center so he is a little more comfortable or go with the at home midwife. Thanks for your response :)

#8 of 9 Old 09-16-2011, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

If it helps, I would recommend that you ask Vickii for references and invite your boyfriend to talk to them about their experiences.  Has he spoken with Vickii himself?  I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy and midwife search!!  :)

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#9 of 9 Old 09-17-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Actually I just emailed her to see if she would speak with him.. thanks for your help! :)  Vickii is definitely great.. if my BF is comfortable i'll definitely be going with her if she is available :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page