Looking for a AP/Non-Vax style playgroup around the Simi Valley area! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-06-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted something a while ago and didn't get alot of bites so I thought I would post again.

I'm wondering if there are any like minded mamas out there that have little ones close to 11 or 12 months old. I moved to Simi over a year ago and have an 11 month old. It's been really hard to find other like minded people around here. Most don't want our unvaxed son around their vaxed children...doesn't make much sense to me but I don't push the issue.

I'm a stay at home mom and would love to get together during the weekdays with some other mamas and their lil ones. I'm on the west side of Simi so anyone around Moorpark, T.O or Fillmore should work great, gimme a shout!

-Janelle

#2 of 4 Old 08-06-2011, 02:56 PM

I'm from Simi and just recently moved away from there.  Still in the area at least once a week to visit family and stuff though.  There are actually many non-vaxing parents in Simi.  But I found over the years that they are scattered.  AP mom (or regular) mom groups never seem to work out well in that area.  Who knows, maybe you will be the one to get a group together that actually sticks!  Over the years, I met many crunchy and non-vaxing parents through random places (like ice skating, girl scouts, home school activities, etc).  But obviously that was time consuming and I didn't have a solid group of friends until my dd was in kindergarten. 

I would attend play dates, but my kids aren't really the ages that you are looking for.  I have an almost 7 year old,and soon to be a newborn.  And just as a warning, watch out for any yahoo mom groups in the area that don't have AP or anything like that in the name.  Those woman can be mean and very into their cliches.  Getting snubbed from the groups for silly reasons is not unusual.  I was thrown out once they discovered that I had done adult modeling.  Someone else was thrown out for not agreeing with them about something petty.

Hope you are able to make some friends in the area soon.  Welcome to the area and good luck! :)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 AM

Hi there, I would ask how they know your baby isn't vaccinated? I mean, that's not the kind of thing that really has to come up on the 'first date,' if you know what I mean? ;) You could just leave that info out for a while.

I really liked the Ventura County AP group. There wasn't a lot of in-person action but it doesn't mean you won't find a good friend that way or start some play dates, or at the very least get more leads on where to find other like-minded parents.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VenturaCountyAPMoms/

Good Luck to you! I remember how very lonely I felt that first year.  I joined various "mom and me" type classes, but often felt like I was in a foreign country. However I finally joined "the right one," for us and made some great friendships.

#4 of 4 Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 PM

Melaniee :-) ... glad to see the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VenturaCountyAPMoms positivity :-) ...

I haven't poked my head in here for so long. Finding several threads asking about Simi area.

As Melaniee mentioned, there isn't a lot of organized action for the VCAPMoms group, but it's certainly a welcoming group :) ... and full of information about area resources.

There's also http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFV_AP tho I think it might be more on the south side of the Valley, and for a larger regional group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SoCalAPFamilies

Hope this helps!!

Mama to two amazing homeschooling boys born in 1999 and 2002

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page