Recent experiences with Best Start Birth Center in San Diego? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some friends of mine have gone there and loved it, but by my last pregnancy it was under new management and had all new midwives, all of which had very recently happened, which made me too uncomfortable to go there. Now I am pregnant again and wondering if anyone has recent info about it. Thanks!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#2 of 8 Old 10-05-2011, 10:38 PM

Hey Katroshka! Mazel tov on your pregnancy! I have a good friend who delivered at BSBC and know another woman who did as well in 2008. They had no complaints about it and had great experiences. You should go and check it out. Interview the midwives and see what you think. There's also Birth Roots in Chula Vista. I wasn't eligable to deliver at their birth center because I was having a VBAC but did use the midwives for our homebirth. I can't recommend them enough! I loooooved my midwives and their apprentices.

Did you know that there's an FB group for our DDC? Come join and tell everyone your good news! Congrats again!

Elizabeth (31) & DH (31)
DS born October 15th, 2008
Our amazing HBAC DD born March 21th, 2011
#3 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, MissBeth! I've decided to go with UCSD again. I had called Best Start and talked to the receptionist, she told me that they are getting all new midwives this month. I was bummed, but wanted to talk to one of them to get some questions answered, they only do tours during the day on Tuesdays, that's the only way you can "interview" a midwife there, it's only one midwife that doesn't actually deliver there... so I said I would just talk to someone on the phone, I left messages twice and never got a return call.

I think a few years ago I would have loved to go there, but I'm not comfortable with the new management. I also heard that several of the midwives that were there most recently are now working at UCSD, hence the all new midwives there now. It's pretty disappointing, I would love to get care/ deliver somewhere a little more personal than UCSD.

Birth Roots sounds nice but is way too far for me, and I can't afford a homebirth.

I will check out the facebook page!

#4 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 11:06 PM

As far as hospital birth centers go, UCSD is supposed to be great. Many friends of mine have delivered there and were very happy with their care and experience. I've actually been going there for GYN stuff. We paid for our homebirth out of pocket (Birth Roots are the only homebirth midwives that work on a sliding scale. We NEVER would have been able to afford it otherwise), and I have to start using my insurance now. I see Jasmine and I really like her a lot. I'm so excited for you! PS-I invited you to my clothing and gear swap :) 

Elizabeth (31) & DH (31)
DS born October 15th, 2008
Our amazing HBAC DD born March 21th, 2011
#5 of 8 Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I had my youngest there. I am lucky because one of the midwives is a friend of mine, so I pretty much just saw her for appointments and the plan was for her to be there for the delivery. But since I had like a 45 minute labor and delivered 8 minutes after we got to the hospital she only got there in time to deliver the placenta! Also, because I was so quick there was no nurse in the birth center, so I delivered in L&D, which wasn't a big deal until they put me in recovery and the nurses wanted to come check on me every hour all night long... I just hate having to stay there and dealing with the nurses. I guess if I am in the birth center this time it won't be so bad, but I still would just rather come home, especially with a 15 month old to take care of. That's why I thought about trying Best Start.

As far as homebirths, I used to really want to have one but my house is so crazy with our 3 dogs and 2 cats in a small space that now I feel like it wouldn't be so great for us. One of my dogs just barks and barks when she is excited and I think I would go crazy about it in labor!

I saw the invite, thanks! I don't know if I'll be able to go or not but we'll see. The only thing I would have to swap is a hand me down pack n play I've never even opened, though!

#6 of 8 Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 AM

I did a tour and wasn't impressed. I had all my care up to 35 weeks with UCSD and ended up transferring to Birth Roots. I absolutely 500% loved Sarah and Darynee.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#7 of 8 Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 PM

I had both of my babies at Best Start and am sad to hear about the new management. Hope they don't lose their touch over there!

Tamera--I read on the Birth Roots site that students participate in all appointments and births and 2-3 are present at a time. How did that work for you? Just curious, as I'm starting to look for care.:)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#8 of 8 Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I have talked to 2 people who used Birth Roots, one at the birth center who loved it, and the other tried to do a homebirth with their midwives. After talking to her at length about it I kind of decided it sounded like her birth was terribly mismanaged, labored at home for 3 days before having a c-section, nobody tried to get her to rest during it... I don't know. I was super bummed out for her and felt like things really should have been handled differently, but of course it's hard to say when I wasn't there.

UCSD definitely has it's own problems and I've been kind of disappointed in my options here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page