OB recommendation in San Diego - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am moving back to San Diego next month and am currently pregnant.  I am looking to find a new OB as soon as I get there, if not before since I will already be 26 weeks by the time I move.  I would really love to find someone who might be open to at least letting me have a trial of labor (I had a myomectomy in March and my current doctors want me to have a c-section) or at least a doctor who would be open to a more woman centered c-section.  I would love any recommendations you can give me.  I will most likely be living somewhere near Mira Mesa, UTC, or Clairemont but I would be willing to drive farther for the right doctor.  Thanks in advance!

#2 of 5 Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Someone much have an OB they like right? Or a midwife with hospital privileges?

#3 of 5 Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 AM

I had my last baby at UCSD and will be having this one there, too. There are OBs and midwives, there is a birth center on one floor of the hospital and a floor below is regular L&D. I saw the midwives, really liked some of them, wasn't crazy about some of the others, but overall was pretty happy with the experience. I was supposed to deliver in the birth center, where there are labor tubs (no actual water birthing is allowed, much to the consternation of the midwives), birth balls, nice big beds, etc. I ended up going to L&D because my labor was so fast and there was no nurse on staff in the birth center, but had a midwife still, and L&D was really fine.

The stats on the OBs and midwives are pretty good, low C section rates, basically no episiotomies. It would probably work out nicely for you since you could start off with midwives and easily transfer to an OB and still be at the same hospital and so on. The hospital is in Hillcrest, but there are clinics for prenatal care in several areas around town, including Perlman in La Jolla.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#4 of 5 Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.  I actually saw a gynecologist at Perlman when I lived in San Diego 5 years ago so I may just go back to that office.  Glad to hear some good reviews for UCSD.

#5 of 5 Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 AM

I have a number of friends who had babies at UCSD and everyone was pretty happy with it. Good luck!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page