Question about California Medi-Cal - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

If I was going to be moving to California, Sacramento say, in my 34 week of pregnancy and apply for medi-cal.  I know there is a 45 day wait at least to get approved.  Now what I am worried about is it says right on the Welfare website that there is Presumptive eligibility for pregnant women during the waiting period.  But then it says that presumptive eligibility will not cover the actual birth and labor.  That is why it is important to apply early for Medi-Cal. 

I tried calling 2x to talk to someone in the office in Sacramento.  I waited about 45 minutes each time and when a real live person answered, I was told that they don't work with that department, and transferred to a phone line that no one ever picked up. 

Now, I know I called the right number, its listed on the website, and when the automated system first answers it says to press #3 for Medicaid/Medical questions.

So, would it be a big mistake to move to California right now?  I mean I am in Oregon, and I want to be closer to family, also my DH is working here, but its not the best job ie no health insurance and somewhat low pay for his profession.  I know that California is about 12% unemployment and second only to Nevada and the US Virgen Islands in unemployment right now so I am very worried about our financial situation. 

I need to be sure that we will qualify for Medical, that it will be retroactive, that California isn't so behind on its lagging social services as to actually be able to follow through in 45 days, and if I have the baby before that if it will carry over, and also I need to make sure that there the limit on assets has been lifted(we have just over $3000) amassed in savings, checking, 401k, etc... which will quickly be used up anyways with the move and a first and last deposit on the cheapest  apartment we can find in Sacrament.

So I know with President Obabmas laws that most states have been encouraged to lift all asset requirements, for Medical for pregnant women, and that the amount above poverty level should be 175% to 200% for income. 

I am very worried about not having health care and getting hit with an $9000 hospital bill it will be impossible to pay off.
Anyone with any experience with late pregnancy moves, or getting approved in California actual real waiting times etc.....

Thanks.

#2 of 7 Old 11-21-2011, 03:37 PM

I hope this helps... 

I know when you do get approved for medical they go back 3 months and take care of your unpaid medical bills.. you should double check ths but im almost positive this is how it goes.. EITHER way even if your not pregnant they still go back and pay back the 3months.... and no one will say.. oh you dont have ins u have to pay us before you have the baby :) thats illigal

Want 1000's of Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Google +1's for FREE! Check out: http://socialmedianetworkexchange.com

#3 of 7 Old 11-21-2011, 03:39 PM

OH.. yeah .. I have the number for the office in placerville (the city right next to sac) do you want it? I just called and talked to a real person today regarding a different issue BUT i bet they could give u the number of someone you can talk to in the sac area.. LMK If you dont reach me here my e-mail is mamajes3@yahoo.com!!

Jessica

Want 1000's of Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Google +1's for FREE! Check out: http://socialmedianetworkexchange.com

#4 of 7 Old 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM

We've been trying to get coverage for my husband and daughter since May. We kept COBRA for me because of the hassle with Medi-Cal. We were told, though, that pregnant women are generally put on a fast-track for approvals. They can be approved in as soon as one week. Are you planning a hospital birth? Mercy and Sutter will help get the process moving if you need care there.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 7 Old 11-22-2011, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the offer of the Placerville number but I would be some distance from there and it would be a different office.  I have to admit that being on hold for so long, and then being told that they couldn't answer any medicaid questions there was quite discouraging.  I have lived in a state before where it is impossible to actually reach a person case worker, and it is only possible to call in to a automated system and then wait the 48 hours for them to call you back.  I needed to be sure before I made that leap.  I know usually they would go back 3 months.  I just kind of need the assurance of knowing before I am giving birth in the hospital if I have insurance or not.  I went through that before in , where it was guaranteed to take up to 2 months to be approved only but instead took way past 70 days.  I was approved, but only after a month after a birth and it was just so stressful, because they couldn't make me be approved faster even though I had applied on time, because they were so inundated with medicaid requests that they were that backlogged and couldn't even make their own time lines.  So thank you but I guess I need to be more prepared next time, but you know life just isn't like that a lot of times.

#6 of 7 Old 11-23-2011, 09:13 PM

This isn't going to be entirely helpful, but having worked in the area in women's health for many years, I can say that I've never heard of a pregnant woman in Sacramento not being able to get MediCal to cover her pregnancy and birth.  There are several good low-income clinics in the area (my favorite is CommuniCare in West Sac http://www.communicarehc.org/).  I'd recommend calling them and seeing what it would take to set up an appointment and what they can do to help you with MediCal.  There is also a homebirth midwife and a birth center in Sacramento that take MediCal if that's something you are interested in. 

Community Resource Project in Sacramento also has a GREAT WIC agency that has awesome breastfeeding support, classes, etc.

Sacramento is a good place to raise kids.  Lots of good schools, reasonable cost of living, etc.  The job market is terrible everywhere, but Sacramento isn't the worst of the worst.

#7 of 7 Old 11-24-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

I'll check it out, thank you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page