Activities/Meetups in San Francisco? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone,

I just moved to SF with my husband and our 10 month-old. I've found the city very friendly and fun -- but I have yet to figure out where to meet the moms: most of the caregivers on the playground are nannies and so far most of the people I share interests with are young and single. Which is great, but I'd love to meet someone who's also covered in spit-up, you know? Basically, I miss my Montreal support network so much! Do you have any suggestions for places to go/groups to join? 

We're AP people, doing a lot of babywearing and BFing right now (yes, I'm a member of the La Leche League!), also a lot of building block towers. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions -- or if you live in the city and like to meet up. :)

All the best,

Svea

#2 of 6 Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 PM

Hi and welcome! 

You might check out the book Babies By the Bay and I know there is at least one meetup group for new moms (http://www.meetup.com/Carmel-Blue-Mommy-Group/) - I'm in the East Bay so I haven't been to it, but you might want to check it out.

If you're into yoga (or even if you're not :)) you might also check out Jane Austen's mom/baby yoga class at the Yoga Tree - it gets great reviews and she and the other teachers there are very knowledgeable about mom/baby groups and activities in the City.

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any other questions!  If you tell me what general area you're in, I might be able to let you know about some other more local things going on.

Heather

#3 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Carmel Blue is a great place to go. Also, check out Natural Resources in the Mission: http://www.naturalresources-sf.com - they are a wonderful place. You can change your baby there and they have diapers for you to use (disposable, compostable, and cloth), breastfeed and drink free tea and water, take classes, and go get a cup of coffee and pastry at Arizmendi Co-op Bakery across the street! I just left the city and am currently staying in San Rafael (homeless and drifting from house to house with my baby right now) but I really do miss the resources in SF. 

Yes, there are a lot of nannied babies in the city. I'm a low-income mama and don't really relate to the wealth in SF and much of comes with it. 

Another thing I loved to do with my baby is go to Baby Rhyme and Playtime at any of the public libraries there. Every day of the week you can find one of those happening in the city at one of the libraries, and they are usually mixed with nannies, moms, and dads.

#4 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 PM

If you're willing to leave the city, there's a Bay Area Babywearing Group that meets every month. 

South Bay Meeting: 2nd Tuesday of the month, 10:30am-12:30pm
East Bay Meeting: 3rd Saturday of the month, 11:00am-1:00pm
Contra Costa Meeting: 4rd Monday of the month, 11:30am-1:30pm

There are also quite a few MDC mamas in the area, both in SF and the surrounding area. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 PM

Check out Golden Gate Mothers Group. They arrange playgroups. Not a huge number of the moms are AP but there are some. Great network with very active chat forum, etc. and arranged outings. You just have to live or work in SF to become a member.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#6 of 6 Old 01-23-2012, 02:55 PM

There's also APSF.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/APSanFrancisco/ . There are a few members that are also on mothering (besides me:))

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page