Moving to Santa Cruz! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Friends,

We are moving up to Santa Cruz in August for at least a year for a postdoc for me - and searching for best places to land.  My kiddo is going to be 4 in May.  If anyone has tips on neighborhoods that are great, or full-time preschools/daycares that are well-reputed, or especially any links to local parents groups, that would be superduper.

Thanks so much!! 

#2 of 4 Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

phytoangel is moving there too.  She started a thread on the 25th asking for advice too.  Maybe you two could hook up.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 4 Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Welcome! You'll love SC, there is so much to do. Check out Satacruzkids.com for a lot of info. I've also found some nice playgroups through meetup.com.

I've lived all over Santa Cruz and my favorite neighborhood has always been midtown (Seabright or the Banana Belt).  I loved living downtown too, but wouldn't want to live there with kids. The East side, Capitola and Aptos are all nice. But if you are going to be at UCSC then you'll spend hours sitting in traffic, so I'd avoid them. Anything off Ocean street, Broadway or in the beach flats tends to have higher crime rates. I'm not a big fan of the westside, but some people like it.  

If you like the woods try Felton or Ben Lomand. For a more suburban/SoCal vibe try Scotts Valley (best schools in SC).  

#4 of 4 Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

hi haleydee!

thanks so much for the helpful hints!  we're keeping our fingers crossed for the faculty/staff housing, but if it doesn't work out, will certainly need to know about the neighborhoods, so thank you!

we're also searching for fulltime daycare/preschool, right now on lists for the waldorf school, coastal community, and talking to the tara redwood school.  do you know anything about any of those? or have any other ideas?  it was too bad we found out about the relocation slightly late in the applying timeline, it seems we are just putting ourselves on lists all over town at this point... eep!

we are totally excited about the move! thanks for being a friendly voice in our new community!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page