Homemade Infant Formula - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I am currently supplementing with a homemade formula for my 3 month old son.  It consists of raw whole milk from grass fed only cows.  I currently live in the Philadelphia area but I am moving back to Los Angeles in May.  Does anyone know where I can purchase raw whole milk in the LA area? Are there any distribution points where farms drop off?  I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas.  I would like to have something in place so that once I get to LA I don't have to run around searching.

Thanks so much!!

Tammy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Moving this to the California forum in Tribal Areas where it will get better input. :)

#3 of 6 Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 AM

Hi Tammy

Please reconsider feeding your child raw milk in any form.  Raw milk may contain dangerous bacteria that could kill your infant.  If you have not visited the farm where the milk is produced you have no way of knowing how clean it is.  This type of milk production is not regulated by food safety experts.  Young children do not have the advanced immune support to fight off certain infections.  Other children have been killed by this misguided method of infant feeding.  If you want to supplement your child’s diet, please use commercially manufactured infant formula.  This product is highly regulated by the FDA and meets all your child’s nutritional needs the same as breast milk, especially for brain development (cow’s milk does not contain the same ratio’s of protein as human breast milk in part because cow’s do not have the same need for brain growth). 

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/raw-milk-myths----busted/

#4 of 6 Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Raw cow's milk is legal is California but heavily regulated. The regulation makes it much more expensive than some other states. You can buy it at many farmer's market and many natural food stores. Organic Pastures is one widely available farm http://organicpastures.com/

The state has agressively tracked illegal raw dairy cooperatives so be very wary of them. Some resulted in CPS investigations.

If you like to discuss the wisdom of feeding a three month dairy products, raw or otherwise, I would be happy to do so. My nephew was raised on a homemade raw formula and the consequences to his health have been pretty devasting. (Not the raw issue, the introduction of dairy products before he could digest them.)

#5 of 6 Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 AM

I'm curious why raw cow milk is being used instead of a commercial formula (there are commercial goat & sheep milk formulas out there too...)  To add to the other two comments, cow milk proteins are typically much too large to be adequately broken down by the digestive enzymes of a 3 month old, and put them at much higher risk for colitis and other digestive system issues.  While I would disagree from the above poster that commercial formulas are 100% safe and clean, they DO mimic human breast milk more closely than almost all homemade formula recipes I've seen. 

#6 of 6 Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM

Are you interested in exploring other options, like donor milk, for example?

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page