Looking for BF friendly Peds in LA area that accepts Tricare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This whole thing is just turning into a freaking nightmare and I need to find a pediatrician that is understanding of breastfeeding and how to approach a low/slow gain newborns without trying to force formula down my throat or giving me the only suggestion of "feed more often" when my daughter all ready takes as much as I can get her to. A peds who is also supportive of delayed vaccination would be fantastic as well.

My daughter was born 13 May at 37 weeks exactly, ended up being transferred to the NICU for Hyperbilirubinemia after testing Coombs positive 15 May. Of course the NICU wasn't exactly breast friendly like they claimed to be as they kept giving her freaking pacifiers without asking me if it was OK and kept using faster flow nipples on the bottles they gave her of my expressed milk after I specifically told them to use the slower flow. Needless to say all BF we had established was completely undermined in two short days work. 

We were discharged 17 May and have since had two appointments with the peds, one 21st one on the 25th. Birth weight was 2792, discharge weight as 2680. Appointment 1 was 2500, appointment two was 2600. I've been told if she's not to 2800 by this coming Tuesday. the 29th, we're going to insert threat of some sort I have no idea what, but basically it will be a problem is what the doctor is implying though her solution is beyond me because she hasn't discussed it.

Aside from that my daughter has a more than acceptable numbers of wet and soiled diapers in a 24 hour period, she averages 13oz of breast milk intake a day, and I am slowly pulling my hair out. We go to breast with a nipple shield maybe once a day now because I am so concerned about getting milk into her at acceptable amounts I don't know what else to do and keep resorting to bottle feeding, not even finger feeding to help coordinate her suck and swallow like my LC wants me to. She's also a sleep sucker which doesn't help BF attempts at all. :\ I'm all ready starting to loathe my pump, but what else is new in that department. Oh and supply isn't an issue, I can pump 6oz in one session and upwards of 13oz in a good session. I'm averaging 40oz of expressed milk a day at the moment.

Basically I'm happy that she hasn't LOST any weight between our two final weigh ins but apparently it's not enough and I'm not getting lots of great ideas or feedback on what to do about it from my pediatrician. My lactation consultant has given me better support and ideas than my pediatrician and the look on my LCs face alone when I told her who the doctor in question was spoke volumes as to her opinion of the woman. 

The major crap part about all of this is that most of the pediatricians that have been suggested to me unfortunately do NOT take Tricare insurance and I desperately need one to. ):

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering! I'm so sorry your post got missed. This forum has been a bit slow lately. I'm not in the area but I thought I'd bump it up for attention. 

You might alos try posting in the Breastfeeding Challenges forum to get some well-deserved support and encouragement from the moms there. smile.gif

User Tag List