East bay homeschoolers, where are you!? (x-posted in Waldorf) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I keep reading that they are 'everywhere', but I can't seem to find them.  We just moved to the El Sobrante area  (we're just north of  Kennedy Grove, and Orinda) from Phoenix.   I have  3 kids aged 2, 5, and 7.5.  I'd love to find some sort of group for park days.

much love,

Amanda

#2 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Amanda,

Check out meet-up.com, you'll find a few different active groups.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#3 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice.  I've "rsvp'd" to a few events and park days coming up.  I still haven't found anything about Waldorf homeschool, but this is a great start.  Honestly we are only Waldorf influenced, we are truly eclectic in homeschool style, so it's not a big deal.

blessings

Amanda

#4 of 8 Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 AM

We're in the East Bay too, and unschooling.  My daughter is almost 10, maybe we can get this bumped and get some older kids out for a park day too?

#5 of 8 Old 09-05-2012, 08:59 PM

There is the San Francisco Bay Area Unschool Yahoo group (SFBUN), also Homegrown Kids. We are in Richmond.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#6 of 8 Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Every time we have shown up for SFBUN park days, it's almost entirely children 6 and under and my daughter plays by herself and then we leave :( 

I'm also having a hard time connecting with any other families because it seems like only white middle class families home/unschool. Like, I know it's hard to have a parent out of work, but are there really ZERO working class homeschool/unschool families in the Bay Area?  It sucks that the community we are forced to hook up with to see other people during the day looks nothing like our actual community.

#7 of 8 Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 PM

Sometimes there are lots of tweens at the BUN park days and sometimes there are none; sometimes where there are lots of other tween boys, they ignore my 9 year old, since he is new and rather soft spoken or introverted. If you are on the email list, you can post a note saying you will be there and ask whether there are any girls your dd's age who will be coming. I think the HomeGrown Kids park days are similar but haven't been to more than one.

As far as the issue of most homeschoolers being fairly well off, I know what you mean and it's hard. We aren't really working class but my husband is the son of a plumber and tends to be on the low end of the high-tech pay scale which with one income is still pretty limited.

There is a mom in the SFBUN, Cristal Banagan, who has started her own group, called the Daring Kids Club, that may meet your needs. 

Here is the link:

http://www.bigtent.com/groups/epicdkc

She has also started a consulting company:

http://epicali.weebly.com/

She lives in Richmond.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#8 of 8 Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I hang out with Da Vinci Explorers, we are mostly located near San Leandro/Hayward-ish but we go north and south from there. I'm in Fremont and there are a few others this far south so we aren't as convenient for you. You can find us on meetup.

It is a very white group. I wouldn't call everyone middle class. We have several families who are barely squeaking by. We have some unschoolers and some who are hardcore on curriculum. We are very flexible. We are starting to get a bunch more kids in the 8-12 range to go with the large population of under 5 year olds.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page