LA schooling and living options? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I everyone,

we're new to CA, currently living in pasadena, however, we're looking to move to an area where property is a bit more affordable and there are also good school options for ds who starts kindergarten in a year.  (private schooling is not an option for us btw)

My preference is a great charter school that has good academics but not too much pressure on memorization of information, but rather emphasis on discovering and researching for one self.  I also believe that my son will not flourish in a traditional school setting as he has lots of energy and is quite creative.  He's not off the wall, but I just think he would be happier if he wasnt restricted in so many ways.  so a nice balance of structure, academics, community involvement, and creativity.  

Quite honestly, i cringe at the thought of a regular public school in a suburb, because, forgive me if im being judgmental, i just dont want that kind of culture that im imagining it to be for my child.  i prefer families who care about health and nutrition and teaching our children to be apart of a community.  It's really scary to think that the kids and families from my childs school might influence him more to some respect than my dh and myself!  

At heart, we're urbanites, but unfortunately at this time we just cant afford housing in the city. However, i dont want to jeopardize my childs childhood experience either.

I would really appreciate any input on areas that are affordable to live as well as not have to travel too far for his school.

Thanks so much for any input!

#2 of 3 Old 06-09-2012, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Which part of LA are you looking to move to?  Aveson, Odyssey, and Los Feliz are the three charter schools near Pasadena.  I have heard the best things about Odyssey and Los Feliz.  Aveson is good too but from what I've heard a bit lacking in academics and communication. 

#3 of 3 Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i guess thats what im hoping some of you mamas who have lived in LA areas for a while could chime in about.  I'm not sure on what area would have affordable housing and decent schools since we just moved to california.  we like pasadena, but would prefer to live in a house with a yard rather than townhome.  right now we're looking around thousand oaks areas.  any other thoughts for us to consider?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page