Visiting San Fran/LA/Vegas - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!
I'm a mama from New Zealand, and we are possibly coming over for a few weeks in November (tagging along on a work trip for hubby).  I have no idea where to start with planning travel, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/recommendations for places to stay or things to do?  We have a 1yr old and a 3yr old. 
We are trying to find budget accommodation, well suited to co-sleepers (eg a large bed or mattresses that can be put on the floor - rather than bunkbeds for the kids!), and close to activities.

We are flying in to San Fran, possibly rent a car and drive to LA for a week or so, then on to Las Vegas for work, before heading home. 
Would also love to meet a few "crunchy" families while over there, be great to know where the best local playgrounds are and get some recommendations of things to do from locals.

Advice/websites/reccommendations most greatfully accepted!

xx
Jenn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Bumping for input. Anyone in the area have suggestions? 

#3 of 5 Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Jenn, 

I would love to give you some idea of things to do /see/visit. Its nice if you have a car, because most things here you need a car to do. I am living part time north of San Francisco on the coast and part time in the mountains by Yosemite. But have lived and travel all over. 

Are you staying in SF for a bit? Lots to do there, but I will let someone else who lives there write more about the city....

The area I live is a bit north (1 hour drive) and here is some info on this area:

North of SF:

Discovery Museum in Sausalito is a fun 1/2 day with the kids. This area is easy to do from SF. Also check out the Marin Headlands area, the Rodeo Beach at Fort Cronkhite is nice you can look for tiny orange/ red agates there and watch the surfers if there is surf. 

A nice drive would be to drive north on Hwy 101 over the Golden Gate bridge and then take Hwy 1 along the coast.  Places to see along Hwy 1, Muir Beach cute little beach cove (this is where I grew up), Stinson Beach, big long beach nice for long walks. The town of Bolinas, this is where I currently live, weekends have a lot more going on in town the little museum is open, but visit on a low tide and you can go to Agate Beach to see tide pools. If you walk north up the beach to where the creek is you can find green agates there. http://www.marincounty.org/Depts/PK/Divisions/Parks/Agate-Beach/

Point Reyes town is nice too. 

Inland off Hwy 101 are Mill Valley, the downtown area called the depot is nice to walk around. Fairfax, again nice to wonder around, Peri Park in Fairfax is one of my favorite for kids! http://www.justplaygrounds.com/play/fairfax/andyPeri/index.htm

Also Berkeley is close to SF and you can take BART over there. 

In SF Golden Gate Park is one of my favorite spots and the Academy of Sciences is family fun. 

Other nice spots to visit on your way to LA: 

Santa Cruz area the towns in the mountains Felton and Boulder Creek. If you want to see some amazing big Redwoods one of my favorite places is in Felton the Henery Cowell Redwoods State Park

Monterey Bay Aquarium, Big Sur area (again so much to see/do in Big Sur area let me know if you want more details)

If you are driving to Las Vegas, Joshua Tree, Death Valley National Park could be a fun places to visit on your way. And once you are in Las Vegas the Grand Canyon is so close you should try to see it too. 

For places to stay affordably thats hard, I would check out craigslist and VRBO there are lots of vacation rentals there where you can get a house for a good price, much more comfy than hotels. If you do have to get hotel room lots here have king size beds or 2 queens if that can work for you. 

If I'm on the coast in November I would love to get together with you! I guess sending me a message then I can give you my email and phone # would be the best way to connect, I'm not on this site very much. And for sure get my phone # and call if you have any questions when visiting. 

-Nicole

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow - thanks heaps for your awesome reply Nicole - thats so helpful!
We were debating weather to hire a car and I think we definitely will, based on your reply.
GREAT idea about checking craigslist for accom - def will do that.
Someone else said to check out the Monterey Aquarium and I just looked up the website, it looks great - I think we'll make that a priority..
I'll def get back in touch with you if I have more specific questions when we actually start working out a proper itinerary :)

#5 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just thought you might like to check out this website that has fun deals on things to do in this area. Like this one for SF...

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/15-san-francisco/deals/345372-3-5-hour-city-bus-tour

Looking like I most likely will be around when you visit, so maybe we can meet up. If anything else comes to mind I'll let you know :)

Happy trip planning! 

-Nicole

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page