Twin homebirth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know of any experienced midwifes delivering twins at home in California? I am having no luck searching for any in my area - central coast.
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Hello!  There was a thread on this a while ago and the consensus seemed to be that licensed midwives cannot deliver twins at home in California.  I think because it's considered high-risk and LM's can only attend low-risk births at home.  Perhaps someone else will chime in with some more info. 

applejuice likes this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 PM

What about a CNM attending a twin homebirth? In my homebirth midwives group practice they have 2 LMs, a CNM, and a Ob.
Just a thought.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
applejuice likes this.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#4 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 PM

In San Diego there are a few LM's who will attend twin births. What area are you looking for? I can PM you their info if you are in this area.

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 PM

Oh just saw you are in central coast, so never mind!

applejuice likes this.
#6 of 12 Old 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Ahimsamom, I'm interested in your information. I'm in San Diego and am now expecting, and just in case it's twins I'd like to know.

applejuice likes this.
#7 of 12 Old 10-19-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

No midwives in my area will do a homebirth, so I will give birth in a hospital. I wish I could do a homebirth for many reasons, but it just isn't in my plan and we won't have any more kids after them.
applejuice likes this.
#8 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 03:16 PM

To my knowledge, it is illegal for a CNM to attend an out of hospital twin birth in California.

applejuice likes this.

Married to my love stillheart.gif, Mommy to W ('09) homebirth.jpg and Doula.

brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif God has answered our prayers & we welcomed our baby girl earth side 11/24/13 h20homebirth.gif

#9 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When interviewing homebirth midwives in Los Angeles, this was one of the questions I asked along with breech, etc. mostly because I was nosy. No one I interviewed did either and both stated that it was outside the standard of care for homebirths. They both said homebirths were a safe and good alternative for low risk women only. They didn't mention if it was a state restriction or not but they did use the same language.

They both said they knew several OBs who were qualified and competent to do vaginal births for both and would actually do them rather than risking the mama out at the last minute but that they felt it was safer to have access to non-homebirth services for both.

applejuice likes this.
#10 of 12 Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM

Wonder if you found anyone. We had twins and had a homebirth planned. It is not illegal in the state of CA for a CNM to delivery twins. We unfortunately had to delivery at a hospital due to a concern with one of the babies.  

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#11 of 12 Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

No, I never found anyone. We have a birth center nearby and the midwife, who is also a naturopathic doctor and pediatrician, would not do it. Hope you and your babies are doing great. :-)
#12 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Our only free standing birth center told me the other day that they legally cannot do twins at their center. Twins is automatically considered "high risk" and therefore loses its low-risk status with the birth center. I know this does not help you. You might be able to find some not CNM midwives who might take on twins. The problem is going to be finding someone with experience with twins. Otherwise, you're probable better off doing it unassisted if there are no problems with the pregnancy. I would research and research and research some more birthing at home with twins and twin pregnancy so you are prepared for the fear tactics and for the realistic concerns.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page