Fair hourly rate for experienced regular babysitter/part-time nanny in SF Bay Area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an 11 month old and I'm considering hiring a part-time nanny/babysitter to watch him about 4 hours per week while I do some part time work. 

She charges $12 per hour, but the market/going rate for experienced adult nannies in the SF Bay Area is more like $18-$20.  Is it appropriate to tell this lady that I think she is undercharging, and offer to pay her more?  And if so, how much more?  It's only a few hours a week so I want it to be worth her time.  I'm on a budget but I really value childcare work and I don't want to underpay her.

Thoughts?

#2 of 5 Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM

I am no expert, but I definitely do know that it varies based on where you are in the Bay Area. It's definitely $18-20 if you are in SF. I'm in Berkeley. My regular sitter charges $10/hr (experienced nanny, has raised her own daughter) and my backup charges $14 (she has also been a nanny for many yrs). It is possible that your area indeed has a lower going rate than you think. That said, if you don't feel that is enough to keep her loyal to you, etc. I'm sure she wouldn't turn down making more! Or since it is a small amount of hours/week, you could always round up - like give her $40 instead of $36 for 3 hours work, etc. Or see if she is a good fit at $12 and then offer to give her a raise. It's not a bad problem you have. :-)

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#3 of 5 Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 PM

I've always paid my sisters more than they've asked because it is worth it to me that they feel appreciated and I like to think that it makes them more reliable. FWIW, I live in Hayward and pay my sitter 15/hour.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#4 of 5 Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both.  I'm going to pay her more than she's charging as long as I can afford to do so because I think she's really worth it and as we all know, childcare work is real work!  :)

#5 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I live in Los Angeles and full time nannies make the upper range you quoted plus a whole host of vacation days, benefits, and taxes. But in my experience hourly workers make less overall without all the benefits. So, yes, she is undercharging but perhaps by less than you immediately think.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page