Moving to Miramar - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, left coasters! I'm headed your way in a couple of months, and looking for a few referrals. So if you know of a:

• Home birth midwife
  • Birthing center (we're looking at both, depending on what's available and affordable on Tricare)
  • Pediatrician 
  • General awesome resource for a first-time mom

In or abouts that area, feel free to share! We're very excited for the move, as we'll be able to spend some time near DH's family in AZ, after a couple of years near mine out here in VA.

Proud Marine Corps wife tiptoeing into SAH parenting. Living happily ever after with my Beast, baby Ginny (3/1/13), two dogs, and two ratties.

#2 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallToriV 

Hello, left coasters! I'm headed your way in a couple of months, and looking for a few referrals. So if you know of a:

Home birth midwife

Birthing center (we're looking at both, depending on what's available and affordable on Tricare)

Pediatrician 

General awesome resource for a first-time mom

In or abouts that area, feel free to share! We're very excited for the move, as we'll be able to spend some time near DH's family in AZ, after a couple of years near mine out here in VA.

Home birth midwife - Mother to Mother Midwifery, Brooke Ray, Sunshine Chrispeels, Karly Nuttall

Birthing center (we're looking at both, depending on what's available and affordable on Tricare) - Best Start Birthing Center is the only one
Edited to add that there's one other birth center called Birth Roots in Chula Vista but that's down south near the border almost. One in North County in Encinitas is opening up, not remembering the name, but its still in the planning stages.
Pediatrician - Dr. Suzanne Mills in Del Mar

General awesome resource for a first-time mom - Still looking for that for myself. I've tried meetup.com but the Crunchy Mom meetup is full and I'm on their waitlist and the AP meetup has mostly older kids, not babies. In the two babies born in 2012 meetups I go to, only one other mom had a homebirth. I'm usually greeted with shock when I tell them I had a homebirth and it makes me feel so weird.

Java Mama cafe is near you and a good resource. Just google it.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#3 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Bumping for input. :)

#4 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Hi TallToriV, im jealous you are getting out the left coast, i wanted to invite you to come join the Military Family Life Group for more resources as well, most all of us have dealt with PCSing while preggo and finding things we like that woke with tricare.   Im probably nearby you right now (DH @ walter reed) and hopefully will be heading west myself in the next year.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#5 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Sweet! Thanks, Kay! On another thread, one SD MDCer said that La Leche League is super active in SD; have you tried them at all? I'm so glad to get midwife referrals; do you have a favorite on that list?

Adorkable, I shall call you Dork because I adore your user name! ^_^ (It's a compliment in our house - my DH actually once introduced me to his Col by saying "and this is my dork..." at my very first birthday ball. He claims he meant to say date. Uh huh.) I will definitely look into the mil group you link to. I'm not sure in what capacity your DH is at Walter Reed (consider yourself hugged if necessary), but good to hear you may be heading out west, too! 

Proud Marine Corps wife tiptoeing into SAH parenting. Living happily ever after with my Beast, baby Ginny (3/1/13), two dogs, and two ratties.

#6 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM

yeah i wear the Dork badge proudly too! heck , my dh actually found me a shirt that says "Adorkable" and i wear it regularly

KayDove actually knows me in real life and can attest to its appropriateness upsidedown.gif

Kaydove likes this.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 AM

I haven't tried a LLL meeting. I've been thinking about it. Actually the Miramar one is the closest to me and at the best time - 11:30 am on Thursdays vs. 10am like the other ones. Only thing is that its on the Marine base so I'm not sure if I can go since I'm not military....

Those three midwives are apart of the midwife group Mother to Mother Midwifery. You get whoever is on call I believe, but they do honor preferences. Karly Nuttall was the midwife at my birth. She was fantastic! Usually they have two midwives present. There's actually an Obgyn practing homebirths with them now, I don't know her name! Brooke is a CNM and Karly and Sunshine are LMs.

Adorkable does fit her well ;)!

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#8 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Haha, well it's good to know where the dorks are at! ^_^ I always find 'em, wherever I go. I don't think I could survive being a mil wife otherwise!

Kay, that practice sounds awesome. I'll definitely take a look at them. And I'm pretty stoked to hear there's a LLL chapter right on base! I bet if you reached out to them, someone would be happy to carpool. If not, it's just a matter of presenting your license, registration, and insurance at the gate - you tell them why you're there, tap your feet while they look search your car, they give you a day pass and off you go! It takes about 5 minutes if there's no line, which there really shouldn't be at that time of day.

You should go brave the MC wives! ^_^ We're pretty cool. We drink a lot and know all the best dirty jokes orngbiggrin.gif Possibly not at a LLL meeting, but I wouldn't rule it out.

#9 of 16 Old 08-22-2012, 03:23 PM

I'm going to start going to the Rancho Bernardo one instead since the Miramar one is on base I'll probably be the only nonmilitary wife there. And I won't know anyone; I would probably feel more comfortable going if I knew someone.
I do need to find more resources and LLL is a good idea.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

#10 of 16 Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Java Mama is super fun!

I have a great natural-minded pediatrician in Poway - Dr. Robert Barr.

The breastfeeding support group at Sharp Mary Birch Hospital is wonderful, and you don't need to have delivered there to attend.  I've never been to an LLL meeting around here but spent a lot of time at that support group.  :)

The Happy Heiny's cloth diaper headquarters and store is in El Cajon, and they have classes in babywearing, birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, etc.  The store is called Baby Frenzy and they sell a ton of wraps and slings, Baby Legs, natural baby supplies, and a million cloth diapers.  :)

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#11 of 16 Old 08-22-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

I get that. Mil wives can't always help being a little...military-centric. If I find out they seriously kick butt, though, when I get there this fall, I'll let ya know! Oh, and I talked to Sunshine yesterday, and am going to go talk to them when I get into town. She said I'm not the first person you've sent to them, so I guess you really like them! :-) Good to know.

Bokonon, thanks for the heads up! Good lord, I need to get pediatrician interview questions ready. And it's great to know where the local diaper shop is. I'm sad about leaving Diaper Junction here in VB - and I don't even have a kid yet! They just rock.

#12 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 01:15 PM

TallToriV - let me know when you get out here and we can meet up, if you want!

#13 of 16 Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Cool beans, thank you!

#14 of 16 Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 AM

Brooke Ray and Sunshine Crispeels, they do take tricare for home birth! They were fantastic I can not recommend them enough! 

#15 of 16 Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, navywifey! I just saw your post (we were mid-move when you posted), and I couldn't agree more. (I wish Tricare would just cover the whole thing, but still, every little bit helps!)

#16 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Best Start is the only birthing center that is free standing that is legal here. And Tricare does cover 100% of it as long as you get a referral from your PCM for it. Tricare also covers midwife (CNM only) home births but only a percentage and if you switch to Standard. You can also give birth at Mary Birch which is close and you only pay like $19 a night that you stay. So less than $50 total unless you have to stay for more than one or two days. I've had a couple of friends deliver there. You've already got the info for the LLL meetings. I wasn't impressed at all with the one close to me. We live in Murphy Canyon which isn't that far from Miramar.

Have you moved here yet?

There are only 2-3 non CNM midwives that take Tricare and Brooke comes highly recommended. I have an interview with her and Le Shay coming next week.

Welcome!!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page