Best hospital and/or midwife for birthing in the Bay Area. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to be traveling on an hour long flight with my husband to a wedding in Walnut Creek when I'm 37 weeks pregnant.  By 37 weeks and 2 days, we will be flying home.  I am currently under the care of a midwife in Orange County.   It is my first child, I have a very low risk profile, and so far had a perfect pregnancy with little discomfort - but I know it's still possible to deliver early.  I'm seeking advice on the best hospital, OB/GYN, midwives, etc. in the Bay Area for both emergency and non-emergency delivery situations.   Would it be wise to be in touch with a midwife in the area prior to arriving to arrange for a potential non-emergency delivery if needed?  I am assuming most midwives won't take on clients in this fashion but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you in advance... 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 AM

Kaiser Walnut Creek is very good, if you have Kaiser.  They have a good midwife practice there and generally have mother-friendly policies. 

I would avoid John Muir (also in Walnut Creek) unless it is an absolute emergency.

If I was in the East Bay, couldn't go to Kaiser and had time to get somewhere, I would probably go to Alta Bates in Berkeley.  You could probably call them and register there (have your patient records sent over, etc.) in case you end up delivering there.

Let me know if I can give you any additional information!

- Heather (Alta Bates mom and East Bay doula)

#3 of 3 Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 AM

I've always had good experiences with John Muir in Walnut Creek, but they don't have midwives.  For non-Kaiser, hospital-based midwifery, your closest option is Alta Bates in Berkeley (20 minutes or so from WC).  They also have midwives at El Camino in Los Gatos, but that's even farther away.  If you were coming in already in labor, most likely, you'd get whoever was there, but if you want to call midwives, I'd suggest Lindy Johnson at Alta Bates or Lin Lee who delivers at El Camino.

Me - Historian, doula, lactivist, crafty chick, wife, and very, very busy mama

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page