Possibly moving to Fresno, CA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh and I are discussing moving to Fresno (from Southern CA) for a good job opportunity but we are trying to take everything into consideration. I've never been there and we don't know anyone who lives there... so we don't really know what the life or community is like. Obviously it's a big city but I would love to hear from someone who lives there or is well-aquianted w/Fresno to kinda give us the low-down.

If you live there... do you enjoy it?
What do you think are the biggest pros/cons?
How is natural living/birthing/eating ect there?
Are there non-vax pediatricians?
What about community? Is Fresno family-friendly?? This is HUGE for us. We are all about community. We have 1 baby but want lots. smile.gif As a 'mothering' member, I already feel we are pretty like-minded so do you think its easy to find other like-minded families and groups? AP, BF, organic, cloth diapering, ect.
Also, we are Catholic-- this doesn't stop us in any way from befriending anyone!--but if you know any Catholic-related info/groups in Fresno then that is a definite PLUS. smile.gif

Feel free to answer any of the questions or none of them and describe Fresno in your own words! Seriously anything would help us bc we are completely in the dark right now. Thank you so much!!! smile.gif

Wife to dh_malesling.GIF ; Mama to A (M/C at 16wks 2011) angel1.gif and love-of-my-life DD M (BORN May 2012) luxlove.gif and S (M/C at 7wks June 2013) angel1.gif and rainbow1284.gif Rainbow Baby due in April 2014 3rdtri.gifjoy.gif
h20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif
#2 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Any Fresnonians with advice to share?

#3 of 10 Old 09-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Perhaps I can help a bit. Dh and I did not have children when we lived in Fresno, we moved when I had dd back "home" turns out, that was a bad idea greensad.gif we are in s jersey and would rather be there then here! Anyway, Fresno is a mix. There is only one midwife that services the area, Detrah Hele, she is a good choice though. Very knowledgable and not pushy at all. Definitely recomend her. She spoke about the unassisted movement, a lot of midwives are against it since it puts them out of business, not Detrah. We chose UC and she offered us books and vids, she's a great person!

The north end of town is wealthy, that's where the new development is. Tower District has a happenin' lil strip, restaurants and neat shops, live music, great little health food store, nice neighborhoods. The Fig Garden is a beautiful area, nice homes, lots of trees, we have a friend in the rental business who lives there, she loves Fresno, her property is considered Fresno County, she has a huge yard that, if she wished, could have horses on, but she is an artist so has nice studio space. The "downtown" section of Fresno is no good. Fresno has some gang issues, we lived there for two yrs, three yrs ago and you hear about things but we were never affected by it. Fresno is considered the "armpit" of California though...

They have a great whole foods and trader joes. There is a definite green mind going on there, you just have to seek it. They have an art movement going on. They do "art hop" every third Thursday, I believe. See some nice work, around tower and downtown. I would say it's absolutely family friendly. It's very suburban there, like a very large town. Major areas of commerce and lots of single family homes. Some ppl consider Clovis, the neighboring town, to be a better area but really it's just like the nice areas of Fresno.

One thing we really liked is the location right in the middle, both north and south and east and west. The foothills just outside of town are beautiful, also Kings Canyon and Yosemite. Coast isn't too far either.

There is a large park with koi ponds on the north side too. Dont know about playgrounds.

Hope this helps a little at least! Good luck!
#4 of 10 Old 09-28-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much !! That was extremely helpful. Its looking more like a possibility that we'll be moving there this December

Any fellow Fresno mamas with more to add?

Wife to dh_malesling.GIF ; Mama to A (M/C at 16wks 2011) angel1.gif and love-of-my-life DD M (BORN May 2012) luxlove.gif and S (M/C at 7wks June 2013) angel1.gif and rainbow1284.gif Rainbow Baby due in April 2014 3rdtri.gifjoy.gif
#5 of 10 Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM

Hi we are currently living in the Clovis area which is very close to Fresno. I enjoy Clovis and my son is going to an amazing school here. We chose Clovis over Fresno because of the great schools that clovis had to offer. 

#6 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Just made the move to Fresno and so far we are loving it! Thanks! If anyone has any other resources or things to add... please do!!! orngbiggrin.gif

Navywifey2003- do you have a pediatrician who is non-vax friendly by chance? Looking really hard to find one.

#7 of 10 Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dr fields (yosemite pediatrics) hasn't batted an eye at our non-vaxing.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#8 of 10 Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM

Philothea,

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd offer you some extra info.  I was born and raised in the Fresno/Clovis area and moved from there in 2008.  My kids are now 15 and 13 (next month) and I'm having trouble remembering where I took them for pediatrics.  LOL!  I think, like you, I struggled with finding the "right" doctor for my kids.  For the most part, I "doctored" them at home and only took them in severe cases to see a doctor (which wasn't very often).

I can highly recommend some other practitioners however.  For years, I took my family to see Dr. Claudia Anrig for chiropractic care.  She is part of a family of chiropractors and their office is in Clovis (last I checked) and Dr. Claudia is excellent!!  She travels all over the world and actually trains other chiropractors how to treat children.  She in fact co-authored a chiropractic textbook on it.  When my daughter was born (my first child), her first trip out of the house was to see Dr. Claudia ;)  I swear by chiropractic as I know it helped to keep my children uber healthy in their younger years.  My son developed an ear infection ONCE when he was about 18 months old.  After leaving the on call pediatrician's office, I took him straight to the chiropractor and his ear began to heal within 12 hours!  (I did take him for 3 more visits within that week, every other day after the first visit)  When I took him back to the pediatrician for a 2-week follow up, they confirmed that his infection was gone!  I never had to give him antibiotics.  YAY!!  *Anrig Chiropractic, Clovis, CA

The other person I would highly recommend is Selena Mitchell Quan of Quan Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Clinic.  She and her husband both practice out of a little office in the Fig Garden area.  I think this is their number 559-225-5707  I originally won a certificate at a silent auction at a time when I was curious about acupuncture.  After seeing her, I was hooked and continued to seek treatment from her for several years, for sinus problems, headaches, etc.

OH!  Also, I know a woman who teaches art classes in her back yard for kids older than 5-ish.  She and her husband are both artists and are gifted at working with children.  I don't know if she still does it, but look up Children's Art Studio.  She is located near Ashlan and Maroa, also near the Fig Garden area.  Found this for you http://www.childrensartstudio.biz/Home.html  :)

Hope you are well,

Becky

#9 of 10 Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not sure if you found someone yet @Philothea  but we used Dr. Kratzer when we were there and LOVED his practice! very natural minded and does not push vax at all.

#10 of 10 Old 10-23-2013, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi there-

Don't know how I missed this last year, but we are in fresno.  I feel that there is actually a really nice big AP/ natural minded community here.  There are a few other midwife practices here, but I used Detra in our homebirth back in Feb.  Kratzer (actually Debra, I can't say enough how much I LOVE her!!!) is our Ped and we did have Dr. Fields, but he has since stopped practicing.  

There are also tons of homeschool families here, I don't know if that is something you are looking for.

There is a yahoo group for AP families in fresno.... I think it is fresnoapmommies or something like that.  All ages etc.  LLL is also a great place to find people.

Good luck!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page