Travelling to San Francisco in Nov.....with NO KIDS - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-03-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all!

I'm tagging along with DH to a conference, and have almost a week in San Fran.  So of course, I"m looking for recommendations of things to do - less of the touristy stuff, but more what the locals would do if they could be a tourist in their own city.  And, favourite coffee/tea shops, favourite restaurants, favourite walks, etc.  Thanks so much for any ideas, I have 5 days to just wander and am REALLY looking forward to it!!!!!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#2 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 AM

An SF-based blogger I read sometimes has a little category called Sites and Bites where she features a place to visit in SF, plus a restaurant nearby. Maybe you'll get a few ideas there? Here's a link: http://sayyestohoboken.com/category/sitesandbites

It's funny how hard it is to think of places when you're on the spot. I think if I had a quiet morning or afternoon, I'd first take a long walk on Ocean Beach, then cuddle up under a blanket by the fire at Park Chalet for some fries. From there, you can explore Golden Gate Park (it's so big, and there's so much to see, a whole day or more would be best if you really want to explore the park). The Botanical Gardens, the de Young museum, Academy of Sciences. You can come out of the park at the entrance to Haight street, if you want to walk and shop Haight-Ashbury district (it's a looong way from one end to the other, just so you know).

A small, romantic restaurant we like is Firefly in Noe Valley (fireflyrestaurant.com). 24th St has a little shopping too, no tourists.

My teen daughter really loves Japantown. It's less touristy than Chinatown, with some good little restaurants and Japanese imports.

I hear a little one calling, so I have to go, but if I think of anything else I'll come back later. Oh, and if you are thinking of drifting up north to Marin, I can give more recommendations -- that's our neck of the woods.

#3 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your ideas.....I'll definitely check out the blog!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#4 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM

I would also check out the different neighborhoods, like North Beach, Castro, Noe Valley, the Mission, the Marina, Cole Valley, etc. and seek out a cafe or something in each one. Oh, and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is great.

I used to live in San Francisco proper (now live in the East Bay), and when I did, I loved to ride the trolley cars -- the J Church has great views, and the N Judah will take you all the way to Ocean Beach.

In the Mission where I used to live there were tons of great Mexican restaurants so naming one good one is hard. El Farolito and El Toro both have great burritos. There are a ton of great Thai places there as well, especially closer to Cesar Chavez.

Noe Valley has a lot of nice restaurants and cafes, and is fairly close to both the Castro and the Mission.

JapanTown is great too -- make sure to check out the Kabuki hot springs. http://kabukisprings-px.trvlclick.com/?source=TravelClick&emc=ppc_main

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#5 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 PM

North Beach is my favorite neighborhood when I go into the city, especially if you like just walking around or sitting outside at a coffee shop to people watch.

The Mission District, Marina and Castro are all fun too, in their own ways.

Here are some good bookstores in the Mission and coffee/tea/pastry places in North Beach.

Have a great time!

#6 of 6 Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

you guys are awesome, thank you!  We're getting ready to leave in just over a couple of weeks, so I"m really compiling my lists and looking forward to my week there!!!!

Cheers!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page