Oceanside/SanDiego area MFM needed ASAP. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just moved here recently. I'm very high risk (7 pregnancies---2 chemcials, 3 miscarriages at 9,12, and 15 weeks, 1 preemie 23 weeker who died shortly after birth, and one full-term 10lb baby boy). No known cause for any of this---my blood clotting is normal, hormones and metabolic panels are normal, chromosome panels are normal, etc. I have a normal uterus and system. I have NO problem getting pregnant at all (DH just got home from deployment 3 weeks ago...and I got lines on a test today!).

I just found out that I'm pregnant again and I want to find an MFM who takes military insurance who has openings for new patients. I will be scheduling an appointment with my primary doctor and want to make sure I get referred out to someone who can not only take amazing care of me during the early stages of my pregnancy, but also during my scary 2nd trimester and on into birth (which, if possible, I want to have an intervention-minimal medication free birth---which is how I did it with my oldest son who was born in 2009). I know I may not be able to do it intervention free due to my risks, and I can accept that, but I want a doctor who is very open to letting me do things naturally if I get to 34+ weeks.

I am looking into "San Diego Perinatal" offices as well as open to new suggestions (please!).

Also, what area hospital is most equipped to handle micro-preemies and preemies?

I just want a living baby this time. Please HELP ME!

Thanks!

P

#2 of 6 Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 PM

The San Diego Perinatal Center is very good, but you do NOT want Dr. Catanzarite.  Dr. Sean Daneshmand is awesome.  

Dr. Lorraine Stanco is with a different group and I had a terrible experience with her.   I don't know if they all take your insurance.  MFMs in general are probably pretty likely to be intervention-happy, so that should be a conversation that you have with your doc.  You may need a referral from a regular OB to get approval to see an MFM, so definitely check with your insurance.

The two best hospitals (and maybe the only with Level III NICUs in San Diego County) are Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women, and UCSD Medical Center.

Best wishes!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 6 Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll look into those doctors.

I know MFMs can be intervention happy, so I want to attempt to find one who will at least entertain the idea of letting me run things a little if I make it past 34-36 weeks! Nobody is expecting me to make it past 30, so its probably moot anyway :D

I'll check into whether SD Perinatal delivers at Birch or UCSD---I'm pretty sure they do at both.

And my military primary can refer me just about anywhere. That's the benefit of starting with a military primary!

#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM

Oh good!  SD Perinatal definitely delivers at Mary Birch.  

Dr. Daneshmand founded Miracle Babies: http://www.miraclebabies.org/  He's amazing!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 6 Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

Oh good!  SD Perinatal definitely delivers at Mary Birch.  

Dr. Daneshmand founded Miracle Babies: http://www.miraclebabies.org/  He's amazing!

AWESOME!

I'll call the office today to see if they have openings for new patients (and get their recommendations if they don't) and I'm going to pee on things for the base hospital tomorrow (have to confirm there before they'll refer me elsewhere). Hopefully get in with my PCM before the end of next week, even if I have to fight. I'm going straight to Patient Admin if they don't refer me where I want to go!

Bokonon likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 09-14-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

They have openings! I'm going to go confirm pregnancy for my doctor today and I'm going to fight the system (damn military!) to get an appointment with my primary ASAP (instead of letting them auto-transfer me to OBGYN at the military hospital, after which I'll get a call in a week or two to go see the OB there, then they'll agree I need to see a high-risk doctor and send me back to my Primary to be referred out...I want to avoid the runaround if I can).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page