Tricare, midwives, waterbirth, and coverage?! Concord, CA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok so I live in Concord, CA and am on Tricare Prime. For some reason I have no reaction to pain medications including some big ones like morphine. I have a feeling the epidural won't work on me either (morphine is a main common drug in epi's). I am 5 months pregnant with my first child and I want to do a waterbirth since natural pain reducers are all I can bank on. I have found a few threads online about other women trying to get tricare to cover a waterbirth and midwives, but none of them have an actual outcome.

So far I am working with my pcm to try and refer me to a midwife that tricare would cover. Does anyone have any new information on how to work with tricare and get a midwife covered? Has anyone gone through this already and had it work??

#2 of 3 Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM

I am assuming you want a homebirth?  There aren't any hospitals in the East Bay that allow waterbirths (although Kaiser Walnut Creek and Alta Bates both have tubs, you have to get out to birth).  Do you have out of network coverage with your insurance?   I don't know of any licensed midwives who would be in-network. Most get paid directly and have a 3rd party billing service to help you file for reimbursement.

Me - Historian, doula, lactivist, crafty chick, wife, and very, very busy mama

#3 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM

I lived in Concord when I had my boys and made the drive to Alta Bates.  I had nasty back labor with my first baby and was able to stay in the tub until it was time to push and it helped so much!  They were extremely supportive of my wishes for a natural birth and it was worth every minute of the drive.  Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page