Natural-birth-friendly practitioner in Fresno/Clovis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas, I am 12 weeks pregnant and am moving this week to Fresno from the SF Bay Area.  I had lovely, drug-free births with my 2 sons at a hospital here in Berkeley with an OB, and I have no idea where to begin in Fresno.

Has anyone delivered at Clovis Community?  What is their attitude like toward natural birth?  I only have one friend who delivered there and said she was only allowed to stay in bed or sit in the rocking chair because of the monitors...no wonder she ended up with an epidural!  

Anyway, I would love to work with a CNM or OB who is just open to letting me do my labor thing without rushing things along.  I am also open to home birth, but we'll be at least 20 minutes from the hospital and that makes me nervous.  Has anyone worked with a great doula who helped them get the birth they wanted in the hospital?

Thanks for any recommendations or advice you can offer.

Emilee

#2 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM

hello, i only know of a midwife, Detrah Hele, for the area, she knows about the hospitals too, four yrs ago when we lived there, she said the hospitals in Fresno had gone backwards in terms of natural birth friendliness, could be different now though, maybe contact her...

Sweetsummer likes this.
#3 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding.  I actually am meeting with Detrah next week, we may be leaning toward home birth after all.  Wish us luck!

Sweetsummer likes this.
#4 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM

thats great! i had both my babies, dd 4 and ds 9 mths, unassisted, i know thats not for everyone! you will do very well i am sure, we women are made for this incredible act of birthing our babies into this world! :)

#5 of 12 Old 09-18-2013, 02:37 PM

Hi there. I am curious if you found an OB who would work with you on a homebirth or natural birth?  I am looking for a new OB, as mine is not supportive of either. Thanks and good luck!

#6 of 12 Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up having a home birth with Detrah. I can't recommend her highly enough! It was an amazing experience start to finish. But no, I don't have an OB recommendation for you. Sorry!
Sweetsummer likes this.
#7 of 12 Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey there- 

We are in fresno too.  We had a homebirth with Detra last Feb. and everything went well.  I can't speak to particular OB or CNM that deliver at Clovis Community, but I have heard both good and bad things about that hospital.  You have already had 2 natural hospital births, so I think you are at an advantage there.  There are actually quite a few doulas in the area.

good luck

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#8 of 12 Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 PM

FYI-Dr Reddington is not a pro natural birth. She delivered my baby and multiple times scolded me for not having an epidural. Needless to say, she is not the home birth, natural childbirth OB we wanted.

#9 of 12 Old 10-23-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

@jamiejean We recently moved from From Fresno where we had a home birth with Detrah too! One OB I'd recommend looking into would be Dr. Kopacz from the Fresno Women's Medical Group. I was told she was the most "hippy" and supportive of natural birth  before we had decided to have a home birth. Good luck!

#10 of 12 Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 AM

Thanks SweetSummer!  I will check her out!  Off the top of your head, do you know the cost for Detrah? Did she take insurance?  Thanks for the info!

#11 of 12 Old 02-15-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey there-

We used Detra for our homebirth just over a year ago.  She did bill our insurance for us, but I don't know if she is doing that now.  I think the total cost was around $3000.  We did not have care with an OB and she did all the tests we needed.  She gives a discount when you pay in full (at least she used to....) 

I am still looking (not hard) for an OB... I really need to get in for my annual exam (it has been at least 3 years...)

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#12 of 12 Old 02-15-2014, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info!  She sounds great, we will look into her for our next one. 

I did hear Fresno Womens group has some more naturally inclined OB's that support home births. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page