LA - Eastside Mamas Silverlake/Atwater/Eagle Rock/etc - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there anyone out there? We have an almost 16 month old daughter and are having a hard time connecting with other families in the area. I would love for my daughter to have a relaxed play date with other like-minded families.
Looking Forward!
#2 of 10 Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I just wanted to bump this thread because i know there must be other mamas out there. and i use to live in silverlake and eaglerock so giving you a hi from oregon!

#3 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mama! I think they're all in hiding ... wink1.gif
#4 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 PM

hi there. i hope to be pregnant soon, so i can't exactly offer to do play dates just yet, but i'm right in your 'hood. i'm really surprised you haven't gotten replies yet! i would expect our neighborhood to be chock-full of mothering.com readers! anyhow, hi, apparently only other NELA person on here! ;D i'm jamie, in glassell park, nice to meet you.

i am trying to begin the search for like-minded members of the community now, so i feel like i've got some other parent friends before our little one comes along (thus i searched this site for mentions of silverlake & eagle rock after, to my surprise, finding very few meetup groups). i'd love to meet you and your little one some time, and chat and nerd out about all this stuff that i know no one else in the real world yet who is into when it comes to parenting styles/philosophies.

but as far as you finding little ones now for playmates, have you already scoped out the available meetup groups? there's one called "progressive parents" that is sorta in our 'hood, you might wanna check out. i just joined. btw, i think i might even be interested in starting up my own meetup group if it turns out that one doesn't have very many AP-minded folks, or if it doesn't work out b/c their kids are already too old to be potential playmates. i wonder, though, if even though they describe themselves as having kids born in 2010-2011, if that means a lot of those same families just had (or are gearing up to have) new babies? there was also an unconditional parenting group for greater los angeles, but it's unfortunately based out of south bay (long beach & surrounding communities). so, not sure if that rules it out, but i also just joined that one, and maybe other people from our neck of the woods will also have joined, since that's the only one there is right now?

but why are those the only groups? :P if i feel i need a community and fail to find one, i will totally start my own meetup group, b/c you and i can't really be the only ones looking for such a community! and how awesome would that be? a NELA-based group (eagle rock area parks seem like a good place to start, near colorado & eagle rock blvd, since that's near a freeway exit & parking is chill in these parts, and parents can first meet each other at swörk or something?) and it will cater to our most awesome local boroughs (silver lake, atwater village, adams hill, glassell park, mt. washington, eagle rock, frog town, garvanza, highland park, south pasadena, and probably also even los feliz, glendale, la crescenta?, and i'm sure i'm forgetting some), for folks who are into attachment parenting, unconditional parenting (or other types of gentle discipline, not sure how niche UP is, honestly), playful parenting, unschooling/homeschooling, etc., or, in other words, a similar subset of people as you find here on mothering.com?

now that i've verbalized it, i'm thinking i totally should! orngbiggrin.gif

will be TTC in 11/2013 w/ frozen donor sperm via at-home ICI.  queer, 32.  DW is 41.  partners.gif married 9 yrs. stillheart.gif

treehugger.gif  joy.gif sewmachine.gif   knit.gif  goorganic.jpg   notes2.gif  and soon   bftoddler.gif familybed1.gif  malesling.GIF    

#5 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 PM

oh, also just found these links, but haven't followed or checked them out yet (i'm doing all this from my phone, so switching between too many browser windows is a bit cumbersome).

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SoCalAPFamilies/info

http://www.silverlakemomsclub.org

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NELAAP/info

will be TTC in 11/2013 w/ frozen donor sperm via at-home ICI.  queer, 32.  DW is 41.  partners.gif married 9 yrs. stillheart.gif

treehugger.gif  joy.gif sewmachine.gif   knit.gif  goorganic.jpg   notes2.gif  and soon   bftoddler.gif familybed1.gif  malesling.GIF    

#6 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 11:57 PM

and this one, in eagle rock, too. although it says leave baby at home =( i bet you could meet other parents you think are awesome, then ask them to go to playdates at a later time?

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1387868/moms-and-moms-to-be-book-club/0_50

#7 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM

Hi Filamentary! I am in your area and a new mom.  If you organize a meetup, I'd like to join. 

Trying to adopt from foster care in Los Angeles.buddamomimg1.png

#8 of 10 Old 10-17-2013, 03:34 PM

ok, i'll let you know! orngbiggrin.gif

#9 of 10 Old 01-07-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, it's been a while since I started this thread. Thanks for the links Filamentary! I have kind of given up on my search for like-minded families & groups in the area. For some reason it's been harder than expected. We have met some great families through various activities in the area. If you start a group, keep us updated! Thanks so much!
#10 of 10 Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 AM

another moms club link b/c apparently membership is contingent upon your zipcode (i guess it keeps it so all members actually live nearby):

http://momsclubeaglerockhighlandpark.com

this one (not the silverlake one) happens to include my zipcode, and it seems by the name, also eagle rock & highland park. what i don't know is what sorta moms to expect to meet. like, will there be moms who CIO & yell & spank & such? just adding the link for now, but i'll update if i join & form an impression of the group. honestly, even if not all the moms are ones i can relate to, i might still find it valuable for the opportunity to meet some moms, b/c surely there will be *some* of them who are the AP, UP, NVP, etc, types, and it's not like we always have to hang out in the context of this particular group?

still not pregnant yet, so i'm still doing a bit of a waiting game, and don't know that i want to start paying the meetup fees just yet, but i'm fairly convinced at this point that i *will* be starting a meetup group. it might be another several months still, but i'm pretty sure it's going to happen. and i'll be sure to update this thread when i do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page