Question for California ladies, especially those near the valley (Bakersfield area) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dh has been offered a transfer to Bakersfield but we are worried about the cost of living.  He'd get a raise, but most of that would come in the form of a bonus which is not guaranteed.  He'll be making right at $47K/yr gross (base salary, not including the bonus).  We were hoping that I wouldn't need to work.

So I would love it (and be very grateful!) if you'd share a very bare bones, basic living budget with me.  We have three boys and would hope to rent a 3 bedroom house.  I just have no clue what I should count on spending for things like utilities, gas, or food.

I posted a thread in the finances forum that has some more details (along with a budget that I thought might be somewhat correct) if you're interested.

Thanks in advance!

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I live in Fresno, which is pretty close to Bakersfield and also I think similar COL.  Housing is much more affordable here than where we moved from (San Diego), but the other items are about the same price.  Utilities are pretty high in summer and winter, on average we pay around $200/ month for Gas/ Electric, Sewage, Trash and water, but we have a very energy efficient house and we try not to use the heater or AC very often.  My SIL has paid up to $500/ month for electricity in the summer.  

I can't say whether you will be able to make it on around $50,000 a year.  CA is just super expensive, even in the Valley.

I am sure there are people who will respond who say it is doable.

Good luck deciding!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 3 Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for your reply!  I'm not sure it is doable, which is my big worry.  We could probably absorb the extra cost of gas and food with the small raise he's getting, but housing (in a good neighborhood) will be more than double (closer to 2.5 times) what we're paying now and we can't absorb ALL of those costs.  We would be making about $15K less using just his base salary since I wouldn't be working but about $30K more across the span of a year, which is what is making it difficult to crunch all the numbers.  I'm inclined to say if we can't afford to live on the base salary we can't afford to transfer, but it is a pretty prestigious transfer and I know dh really wants to do it.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page