Childcare in San Diego for school age children - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do I find it?

I'm a idiot.  I just don't know what I'm looking for or how to find it.  All the search terms I put in Google bring up preschools, not childcare for older.  Except a YMCA programme... but then I am not sure if that's only subsidised childcare for low income (I may not be low income).  And it really isn't obvious to me how my kids would get from their school to the YMCA childcare provider.  (confused)

I am native San Diegan but have lived in UK for 21 yrs where my children were born. Seriously considering moving back but I would need to work (ordinary hours) and cannot figure out what after school/vacation childcare options would be.  I don't have family who can help.  My parents had a housekeeper/nanny when I was little, doubt I could afford that (but maybe?).

Kids might be age 6,10 (not sensible enough to stay at home all day without an adult) 13 & nearly 15.  The teens not reliable enough, on different schedules anyway, to look after younger ones daily.

Thinking to live in Ocean Beach/Point Loma.

Million other things to puzzle out, but how much would childcare be, and how would I find someone reliable?

I know most people on MDC are home-edders; I am not going to HE. If there is a better forum (free!) to ask my questions on please let me know.  

Where I am now the obvious providers would be "childminders" and "after school clubs" but those search terms aren't turning anything up for me.  Any other ideas what I should look for? Thx in Advance.

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 10 and under. ~
#2 of 4 Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

I figured it out (finally).  I needed to search for the terms

"Extended day care"

And

"After school care" ("after school day care" or "After School Child Care" were the types of terms that failed.

This thread was very useful.

This link for SD.

#3 of 4 Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 AM

In case you want extra info., when my step-son lived in San Diego (5 yrs. ago) the public schools offered free 6am to 6pm childcare, generally provided through the Boys & Girls Club, but at the schools.  It was called "6 to 6", but later it was changed it to something like "Extended School Day".  Some schools offered more childcare than others, but there weren't hard-and-fast rules about which school your child had to attend, based on your neighborhood.  So the schools with more childcare were kind of a magnet for working parents.  I believe there were restrictions about how many kids could be enrolled in programs and there were need-based priorities (single, working parents or families less able to afford private childcare would be moved up a waiting list).  So it might behoove you to investigate well in advance of moving or enrolling your child in school.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:  partners.gif  orfencing.gif... twin sons:lurk.giflurk.gif(HS juniors) ... step-son: guitar.gif (a freshman) ... our little man: kid.gif  (a kindergartener) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  ourdog2.gif. 
#4 of 4 Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page