Relocating to So Cal, need suggestions on place to live commutable to Oxnard and Redondo Beach - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-19-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Mamas

We are relocating from NY to Southern California.  One of us needs to get to Redondo Beach and the other to Oxnard, everyday.  At the moment we are considering Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks area, Sherman Oaks area, or Santa Monica area. Ideas?  Advice?  Ideally, we are looking for a strong, active (observant) Jewish community with decent access to both these places.

Thanks for your help!!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#2 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Anyone have any ideas??

#3 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 AM

Welcome to CA!

Thousand Oaks is lovely and mostly affordable whereas Santa Monica is not affordable but really nice as far as community goes. The promenade and farmers market there is AMAZING. I'm not sure about Jewish communities. I'm sure there is a yahoo group or forum that'll connect you with areas which are Jewish. LA is HUGE. I live in the San Gabriel valley and enjoy the short commute to downtown LA or the South Bay area (Redondo, El Segundo, Hermosa) and day tripping to Ventura barely takes an hour on a good day.

You'll have to worry about traffic traveling to both of those cities but I feel like Oxnard will be less of a commute traffic-wise. Your rail systems in NY are FAR superior but on the metrolink you may be able to get a pretty good commute in both directions from the areas you mentioned.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#4 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 03:35 PM

Just talked to my DH and he says the Jewish communities are mostly in West LA. His moms side is Jewish, so technically that makes him Jewish too... Canters deli is a famous deli in LA in that area as well.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#5 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!   I think we're looking in the North Valley - Sherman Oaks, Valley Village, etc.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#6 of 10 Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 PM

Oh, wow. Those are two commutes! Honestly, I would not advice two people to live in the same house and do those two commutes every day. I mean, maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but that is going to be much worse than it looks on paper (or on a map). Right now, the 405 is under construction so it's worse than usual. It has been worse the past 6 months, so any forums that are dated before that, are not accurate. The construction will probably go at least another year, because it's a year behind schedule. Going south on the 405 in the mornings, and north in the evenings, is the way most people go, which is what you are setting yourself up for. You would almost want to just live in Redondo Beach, because going from Sherman Oaks or Thousand Oaks to Redondo in the mornings would be rough. You will want to live south, and commute north, in the mornings, if using the 405. Either way, it's rough.

I am not Jewish, but there are plenty of Jews in Santa Monica, and moving westward from there. Sherman Oaks would be close enough to other Jews...I get the sense that there are more Jews in neighboring Encino, but they are like 5-10 minutes apart. Thousand Oaks is more suburban....I am sure there are Jews there, but it has a much more suburban feel to it, so you don't see the really observant Jews there, because there is not as much of a village/walkable feel. It feels like the 'burbs to me....just a mix of people, but maybe fewer Jews?

Good luck!

#7 of 10 Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM

Let me give better advice: I have never driven to Oxnard, but based on my knowledge of the freeways, getting to Oxnard will be much much easier than Redondo. So live as close to Redondo as possible, if you want the commute times to be even for both people. Going towards Oxnard on the 1 or the 101 in the mornings will be the easy side of the road (opposite of the majority). Going towards Redondo from any of those places will be rough.....I'd pick Santa Monica. But it also depends what is important to you. Do you want more space for your buck? Or is living in a Jewish community the most important thing? If you would like to be close to other Jews, I would not recommend anything south of Marina Del Rey. Venice has a stoner vibe in some areas, so you like that or you don't. I am a little too "square" for it, and I prefer Santa Monica. Rancho Park, Beverlywood, and Pico Robertson are all inland a little from West LA, and I would say are mostly Jewish.

Getting from Redondo to Thousand Oaks in the afternoon/evening would be hell. I know someone that goes from Sherman Oaks to Calabasas, and doesn't like it. That skips the portion that is the 405. But once you get past Calabasas on your way home, it would thin out some. Check out sigalert.com (spelling?) on the times you'd be commuting, to see what traffic is like at the times you'd be commuting.  I would rule out Thousand Oaks, unless the Redondo person can telecommute or only go in a couple days a week, or is okay sitting in a car for ungodly stretches. I would plan on well over an hour to get home, daily, as the "normal," not the "there was an accident on the freeway."

#8 of 10 Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 PM

I can't afford to live there but thousand oaks is very VERY nice. I'm in Ventura but my great grandma lived there all my childhood and i love going there. and your close to the beaches here smile.gif
#9 of 10 Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM

I'm a Redondo Beach native, used to drive almost to Oxnard from that area quite often, and also lived in Santa Monica. I HIGHLY recommend Santa Monica. It'll be an easier commute to Redondo Beach from there, pretty straightforward to Oxnard, has an amazing community and I remember the more progressive-minded Jewish community being quite active in Santa Monica.

That sounds like a rough commute in opposite directions, and Santa Monica seems to make the most sense. Don't go to the Valley! Don't go to Thousand Oaks! It will make life hell for whoever is commuting to Redondo.

#10 of 10 Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 PM

Santa Monica would be great, if it is within your budget. It's one of the priciest places in the area, because of how clean, beautiful, central, and trendy it is (plus proximity to the beach). My husband and I live in nearby Venice, SM's grungier, laid-back neighbor to the South, and I still can't believe the cost of living. Before moving here we lived in Sherman Oaks, which would be a miserable drive to Redondo (warning: it's all a miserable drive in LA), but you can get more bang for your buck home-wise. It's definitely not as cool as Santa Monica (trend wise and weather wise!) but is close to both 101 and 405, has its share of good restaurants & shopping, plus you are close to Studio City which has even more. Good luck in whatever decision you make! 

mamaleila likes this.

Married my best friend 05.09.10, welcomed our darling daughter on 10.01.13!

08.12,  12.12, MTHFR Homo C677T diagnosis 01.13, DD born 10.13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page