Possibly looking to move to Nevada (Las Vegas) Is it really as bad as I have heard? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My grandparents have lived in Las Vegas for 10+ years and love it. But they own a gun due to someone breaking into their home. I have read things and looked at the crime index and it doesn't look too safe. My husband is looking for a new job and my grandparents really want us over there. Any Las Vegas mamas that can give me suggestions? Nicer areas in or outside vegas that we might want to look at? How do you like it there? Thanks! (Also, I have been there many times on vacation but that's a little different than living there and raising kids ;))

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Any Las Vegas mamas out there?

Old 05-31-2013, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

There used to be!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 AM

We are about to move to Las Vegas and have visited a few times recently to look at homes and neighborhoods. I too was worried and under the impression that we wouldn't find much of a natural community, and was concerned about crimes (and schools for sure). I have to say that we love the Henderson area, the crime rate is very low in most areas. You can go to trulia.com and look at the crime in a specific area of a house you're looking at as well as the assigned schools to see how they're ranked. It seems that most of the way NW area, the SW area (Mountain's Edge), around Rhodes Ranch in Summerlin, and Henderson/South Green Valley areas are pretty good. I am having to rebuild a brand new practice (I'm a home birth midwife) and was thinking (of course) that LV wouldn't have as much of a natural birth/breastfeeding/AP-parenting/babywearing community, but I was wrong! There are 6 La Leche League chapters, about 15 midwives, numerous Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Farmer's Market, etc. I am SO excited now. I am NOT thrilled with the housing options (tract homes mainly) as I am a beach and mountains girl who's used to acreage. However, with the actual housing aside, I am now actually looking forward to putting down some roots :) Good luck in making a decision that's right for you and your family! You can follow my adventure at facebook.com/homesweetbirth :)

Old 07-28-2013, 05:06 AM

A nice area to try outside of Vegas is Sandy Valley. It takes us about 45 minutes to get to Vegas and its a nice drive mostly hwy. There are about 2300 people and the smallest property size is normally 2.5 acres. There is always something going on in the community and its a great place to raise kids. =D Feel free to PM if you want.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

User Tag List