Possibly relocating to San Jose, California - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-04-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi mamas, what's it like living in San Jose? Schools, people, affordability, housing, weather, etc. would love to know your input!
#2 of 5 Old 03-15-2014, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have experiences to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 03-18-2014, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I don't live in San Jose, but I live in Oakland and I have a friend who recently located to San Jose. If you are in New York City right now, the housing prices should not be shocking for you. COL is rather high in the whole Bay Area. San Jose is in Silicon Valley which is a very hot area right now. Many people are moving to the area and they are making a lot of money in tech so housing is very expensive and can be hard to find. The weather is awesome. It is usually on the warmer side there. There are lots of great outdoor activities. My friend lives right next to a hiking trail. I don't know much about the schools but I would imagine they are pretty good, but that can also vary depending on what city you are in. The people are rather diverse. Again, the tech industry attracts many people including non-white ethnic groups to the area. My friend visited one school that was mostly Indian with a small amount of white students. There are quite a few Asian and South Asian folks and Latinos. The local NHL team is very popular. There's lots of shopping and a good concert venue. Plus, it is close to San Francisco and the ocean and the mountains and snow and basically anything you couldl want.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 5 Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm close to San Jose. For me, SJ is an endless seeming all-American gridified city, driving is confusing, can't find anything special or interesting about the city. Strip mall after strip mall. But it's in the bay area and close to lots if cool stuff. If I had to live in SJ, I'd prob just live there and then drive / Bart to other places for activities. I've lived in NYC before too, it's quite different.
#5 of 5 Old 03-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post

Hi mamas, what's it like living in San Jose? Schools, people, affordability, housing, weather, etc. would love to know your input!

San Jose is a very busy city, I moved from there 5 years ago, after living there most of my life. Go back to visit friends & family almost every weekend.

The typical rent for a 3 bd house right now is 2100+

It is definitely an expensive place to live. Though, to be fair, I don't really know much about the cost of living in NYC.

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page