Mothering Forum banner

Hospital bill for a birth? Anyone willing to share one with me?

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Laurucha 
#1 ·
So, I'm having a home birth but, of course, the insurance company doesnt want to cover it. I'm trying to appeal and would like to include the cost of a hospital birth but cant seem to find costs. Does anyone have a bill from their insurance company or hospital they are willing to share with me? Of course, all personal info would be kept confidential!
Thanks

#5 ·
The cost can vary wildly- if you can find someone local, or possibly ask a local hospital to give you a basic bill/what to expect, that may hold more weight than a random person's bill across the country.

Watching Canadians vs Americans talk about this stuff is just the most jarring thing.

Reactions: applejuice
#10 ·
I guess the hospital and insurance companies are technically separate entities and money must have been transferred, but I'm sure the accounting is somewhat different than when a hospital bills an outside insurance company. I'm glad I never have to see the bills. I don't think people should have to worry about the costs of their healthcare.

#9 ·
I had an unplanned (but absolutely medically necessary) c-section, including the days before birth I was in the hospital for six days. Healthy baby, and after I had him, I was pretty much healthy as well. Total bill for me was around 15,000. Baby got a separate bill for just under $4,000 for nursery care that we never used. I think we paid $150 out of pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.