Mothering Forum banner

HELP, do I want to move to mountain view area, CA?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Ilaria 
#1 ·
DH likely is going to get a job offer in Mountain view. We are a Canadian family, do a combo of homeschooling and public school and raise our children with some waldorf inspiration. We have build a lovely community of mind liked friends around us, enjoy the outdoors/nature and like to be actively involved in our kids activities (right now they do survival nature program, natural horsemanship, wild herbal club as well as being part of waldorf festivals)

Never been to the west coast let alone California, finding it hard to make the dive into the unknown without knowing if my family will find like minded families there.

I would not be able to work, but wouldn't want to just sit at home by myself.

Anyone familiar with the area that could like me know what it would be like to life there?

#2 ·
The Bay Area in general is very liberal and you will not have to look too hard to find other people into homeschooling and Waldorf education. Waldorf of the Peninsula is a school I found through a Google search. The weather in this area is great and there are tons of different places where you can experience all kinds of nature. We have the ocean, redwood forests, mountains, skiing, hiking, etc. Mountain View is probably a bit different from where I live in that there are a lot of tech people there. So you will see lots of young people with lots of money. They can afford to buy houses for ridiculous sums of money and it drives up the prices for everyone. It is an extremely expensive area to live in. California public schools are not so great but there are certain cities that may be better than others because the people are ok with paying more taxes for good schools. There are great universities in the area also so that may provide opportunities for learning. I would imagine your husband works in tech and that is why he may have a job offer here. Make sure they are going to pay him enough to find a decent place to live in a good spot and still be able to afford to do the things you enjoy and travel home to Canada for visits. There are lots of wonderful things to do in this area and the liberal politics are great but cost of living is unsustainable for most.

#5 ·
We just moved here last year after living abroad for 11 years. We love it here now and can't imagine living anywhere else in the US! It IS very expensive here, especially houses...but now I think it's worth it. It is very diverse, liberal and inclusive. Message me if you'd like. We live in Saratoga.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.