Where do you live in Northern CA that has stuff to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in California right now but we will be moving at the start of next year. We live in a po-dunk town with nothing to do. We used to live in the Placerville area, east of Sacramento so I'm already familiar with that area.

We can move anywhere we want so long as there are rentals in our budget...no more than $1200 for a 3 bd., we'd like to keep it around $1,000.

I want to be able to do things with the kids like go to the zoo on a regular basis, a water park during the summer, the river, the beach, shopping whatever. I just want stuff to do within an hour of where we live. We've been stuck at home with nothing to do around here and I can't take it anymore.

We must get out more...my kids and I are so much happier when we are out and about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 PM

Well there are no zoos in Redding but I do love the area for family life. Its not too big and its not too small. There are lots of things to do with easy access to Sacramento. I love Burney too but that is REALLY small. I grew up there though so to me its always one of my homes along with Redding.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

we definitely want to be in an area that is close to a larger metro area. I know of most of the areas, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something or ruling a place out b/c we think we can't afford when it would be possible.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Old 08-07-2008, 06:59 PM

i live in sacramento. and the zoo is FAN tastic! Also there are two water parks one in Arden and one in Roseville. I absolutly LOVE the shopping in this area. And both major malls are doing huge over hauls so there will be even MORE shops!
Not to mention the river and rafting for rent. Parks (and Dog parks) galore. There is even drive in movies.
So it's imo a great place to live.
Placer County might be better for you if you are trying to find a cheaper rent. You don't wanna be in the bad part of town with your kids...
check out craigslist.com you are bound to come across something there.
Good Luck!

always :
- baby boy arrived in Oct 2009!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with Sac. We'll probably end up moving there. I was just hoping someone might pop in with a different place that is neat to live but maybe our rent limit is too low for other places.

I just want there to be some decent stores to shop at without having to drive forever, you know, target, TJ's etc. I know Sac has all those.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 PM

Have you been to Redding? I dont believe its too expensive although I dont live there anymore. They have everything that is needed right there. I believe its about 70,000 people that live there or so but I havent lived there in about 3 years now although I was just there 2 months ago.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

hmmmm, we'll have to check Redding out.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:07 PM

Concord.

But you might have to look around to find decent rent. Right now especially. I noticed rents have gone up.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 AM

Hmm... the rent thing is a big issue. We're paying $1750 for a small 3 bed in Napa.

I would try Oakland. It's huge, lots of neighborhoods to look for good housing at your price range. There's tons to do in Oakland like the Chabot Space and Science Center, Fairyland, Oakland Zoo, etc. It's near enough to Stinson Beach and tons to do in San Francisco.

Just really really look hard at the neighborhoods.

Also check out San Jose... HUGE with lots of neighborhoods and near stuff.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

You're right, the rent thing is a big issue. I know DH wouldn't want to live in Oakland.

I think we are going to look outside of California...there just isn't anything here for us without it being way too expensive housing. We need to be close to outdoor rec also.

We looked into Arcata and the rent there is outrageous also. I think we're going to move on to the Oregon area...possible Eugene.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:32 AM

Bend Oregon is supposed to be great and crunchy, I believe!

FYI: I was in Oakland last weekend and the neighborhoods we went through were gorgeous. But my DH says no too. He's afraid of later when the kids are teens and out there on their own, outside of the sweet neighborhoods, you know?

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 08-29-2008, 03:45 AM

janasmama, i live in a tiny town in northern california too. i am also struggling with the fact that there isn't much too do here, but don't really want to live the small town either. I'm in Westwood, CA and our pop is 2,150. so there's not much to go but up, ya know. Anyway, are you anywhere near Lassen or Plumas County??

We went to Quincy, CA tonight, and it's cute. and has a couple shopping places but I don't think it's too far from bigger shopping areas.

We also went to Ashland, OR last week and i thought it was really pretty cute. The rent is what will get us though. We're only paying $600 for a 3 bedroom and i can't really see leaving to pay twice that!! Good luck with your search for your new hometown.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks DaytonsMom....

I think we've decided to forgo California and move on up to Oregon. The places we want to live in California are too expensive for rent. Oregon has better prices and its less than what we have been paying.

$600, that's incredible...there really must be nothing to do.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 PM

Reno is *almost* nor cal, and there is tons to do and pretty affordable. we have water parks, zoos, artown summer festival, everything the university has to offer etc. and the beautiful sierras and hiking galore.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:27 PM

I also live In northern Cali. outside of Eureka. i would say Portland is where you want to live. Weather is kind of rainy but it is about 1 hour to Anything, desert, mountians, beach, forest. public transportation is great,rent is fair;ly affordable, Se portland is nice and even n & Ne areas are cleaning up right now so places are still cheap while they are fixing up diffrent areas. The Hawthorne dist is really hipster, with alot of really great shopping and dining. There are alot of natural food stores , to include Trader Joes, and the grocery outlet,The Portland Metro Zoo is great and there is also an OMSI, and Childrens museum, and all have yearley passes available lots of great parks, and rose gardens , The only theme park type place is OAKS park and it does leave something to be desired, but on 4ht of July they have fireworks there and it is pretty cheap place to play, and both of the malls Clackamas town center and LLoyd center have Ice skating rinks inside. And in the summer they have the rose festival on the waterfront. Really bike friendly. Oh yeah downtown portland sits on the river and has alot of really pretty bridges some that are lit up with pink & blue light Portland really has it going on it is a pretty friendly city.
Cons: Summer is hot, Winter is wet & cold. Alot of people smoke cigaretts, some public schools are good some are bad check that out if you are going that route with school. And the police there really like to pull you over and give you tickets, if you do move there ALWAYS carry insurance and proof of it.it is a really big deal there. They will tow your car if you dont have everything in order. I hope this was not to long winded, I grew up there and really like that city, If I was looking for more of a city life I would move there myself.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:13 AM

Have you thought about Grass Valley or Nevada City? Woodland and Dixon are near Davis and probably a little more affordable. I'm in Carmichael/Fair Oaks area (just outside of Sac) and love that we are smack dab in the middle of downtown, Roseville, Folsom, etc. Easy to get to Tahoe, SF, etc.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

Old 09-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKilgore View Post
Reno is *almost* nor cal, and there is tons to do and pretty affordable. we have water parks, zoos, artown summer festival, everything the university has to offer etc. and the beautiful sierras and hiking galore.
Shhhh...

Old 10-03-2008, 06:02 PM

I am in Redding

average costs for 3 bdrm apartments, are about 1000-1300 a month but our housing cost looks great right now.

No zoos

museums
sundial bridge
Turtle bay (fun)
caves
BEautiful lakes, and falls in the area

sooo much more
PM me for more info

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:47 PM

I'm in Santa Rosa.
The rent is a little bit higher than you want (I pay $1050 for a 2bd) but it's a nice town.
SF in 1hr away. We have 2 malls, plenty of stores, parks, a lot of family activities that are planned! We are getting crunchy!
3 major hospitals, and a home-birth center! (LOVE IT)
TONS of school, a good junior college, and Sonoma State is 30min away!
Great public transportation too!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:28 AM

I live in Redding, we rent a 3brd, 2bath with nice fenced backyard 2 car garage , central AC/ mircowave, dishwasher... Our house is VERY nice we pay $1085 a month.. we live in whats called the "golden Circle" within 40miles in any direction you will have something to do.. If your and outdoor family this is the place for you.. we have lakes, damns, mountains, water skiing, Snow boarding, ATV'ing, fishing, Natural waterfalls, hiking.. Dh and i spent out honeymoon camping and hiking.. its wonderful here :: we do have a musmuem.. not visited often, but we do have one.. we have a great public pool.. a brand new library,, a recently built sports complex... hope that helps on your decision

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 AM

I live in Elk Grove. I love it! It's 20 minutes from the Sac Zoo, FunderLand & Fairytale Town, has a great school district, plenty of parks, and is about 30 minutes from Sunsplash Water Park. We are also getting a Strikes Bowling Alley soon, and are Recreation District is stellar. Tons of classes and sports for kids.

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I'm in Santa Rosa.
Me too! Heard of SCM?

I LOVE the birth center, too.. Rosanne is so awesome!

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
Old 11-14-2008, 12:50 AM

I used to live in the Arcata area, it's beautiful and cheap. But definitely not within 1 hour (or 3 or 4!) of a large metro area. It was before we had children, I think I could be happier there now. But your metro requirements were part of what sent me over the edge and out of there. LOL.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

I used to live near Arcata when I was growing up. We actually checked the area out for moving back there and it didn't seem like rent was very cheap at all. I saw houses in the 1300-2400 range for 3 bedrooms.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniee View Post
I used to live in the Arcata area, it's beautiful and cheap. But definitely not within 1 hour (or 3 or 4!) of a large metro area. It was before we had children, I think I could be happier there now. But your metro requirements were part of what sent me over the edge and out of there. LOL.
Really? When we went directly from Arcata back to socal our rent went from 525 for a 2 bd townhomne to 975 for a tiny 2 bd apartment. I just assumed it was still such a slash in costs! Sorry. Personally, I'd still find them a very cheap coastal option, but then again I can't be too far from a coast.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:52 PM

im in chico
Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 PM

I live near arcata and agree that the rental prices here are inflated. Many houses in arcata have become grow houses, and people who do this can afford to pay higher rent. This has driven rental prices up high, and kept the selling prices on property about level when it's dropped everywhere else in the state.
I have to agree that Portland is nice for a city (reminds me of a big Eureka, or a small S.F.)
Bend is nice too (lots of activities), and it's been booming (growing fast) for the last decade or so.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:42 AM

my sister lives in chico, and it is very ap friendly. her birth had midwives. and rent is cheap! it has a very cool downtown, and college life so lots of cafes and stores to shop in. its not far from placerville. actually my family lives in el dorado hills. chico has very rural area near by too. maybe not a zoo, but probably farms to visit near by. also i know there are lots of young families in that area.

:
Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM

we're in foresthill (placer county) and there's tons to do! it's also a dark sky sanctuary, so beautiful night skies.

lakes
camping
musuems
folsom zoo
waterpark

everything is within 45 minutes driving distance. we pay $990 for a 2/1 on 2 acres. rents are reasonable, but oregon is much better. i envy you if you're going there!

User Tag List