Any mamas in the San Diego area? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 09-12-2008, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are being transfered (DH's job) back to California, but this time I think we will be in San Diego. Are there any holistic family's in the area? Our DD will be three in October. Is any familiar with the Rainbow Preschool?

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#2 of 45 Old 09-15-2008, 06:30 PM

Hi there!

We are actually in Tijuana, so I am curious from your name tjlucca, if you have any connection with this area?

I'm always looking for other mamas to connect with!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#3 of 45 Old 09-16-2008, 01:02 PM

Hi! We are in North San Diego (Oceanside). I've heard mixed reviews of Rainbow Preschool from our Natural Families group here. It is right smack inthe middle of SD. Welcome!
#4 of 45 Old 09-18-2008, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Welcome... another SD mama here.
#5 of 45 Old 09-19-2008, 01:43 AM

From what I've heard the Rainbow school wasn't all that great. I guess my friend who toured it was NOT impressed with how they were handling the children. Apparently they were rather cold and disinterested.

Too bad. In theory it sounded great. It's always worth a look on your own though.
#6 of 45 Old 09-21-2008, 07:35 AM

i'm down in north park, haven't heard about preschool, but we are going to be homeschooling so i dont really pay attn to that stuff.

what part of SD are you going to be in?
#7 of 45 Old 10-05-2008, 05:02 PM

I've heard good things about the Oasis Preschool, but I think that is in North County SD, possibly Leucadia.

:SaHM to 3 *DD* DD2 * DS
#8 of 45 Old 10-10-2008, 02:26 PM

Hi, I am a soon to be mama (due any day) in the San Diego area as well!
#9 of 45 Old 10-14-2008, 04:03 PM

Hi! I'm in San Diego too.

Is the Rainbow Preschool you're asking about Rainbow Kids Integral Preschool in Mira Mesa? If so, I can give you my thoughts on it. I first investigated it as an option for my daughter when several Attachment Parenting moms I'd met at parks and activities recommended it to me. All were attachment parenting advocates and they all raved about the school. I toured it last Fall and liked it, but felt my daughter was not quite ready for separation and decided to delay admission for one year. I recently toured it again this past Fall before deciding my child would do better in a smaller, home-based attachment parenting friendly group.

Both tours of rainbow Kids Integral Preschool began around 10:30 am after a lengthy meeting with the director, Nancy Walsh, followed by a brief walk through of the classrooms, and some time observing the outside play area with my child, who was encouraged to explore and play.

What I liked about the school:
1. They were cool with the idea of me attending during her first week for part or all of the lessons so that she could adjust to my absence. I'm a stay at home mom and my daughter has never been in anyone but her parents care.

2. While not a parent cooperative, parental involvement is encouraged and welcomed more than it is in some schools.

3. They allow the kids to pursue that which interests them. It's loosely structured and child led/focused.

4. They begin the day with meditation.

5. The kids seem happy and all indicated they love the school.

6. The parents I met loved the place and recommended it fully, enthusiastically and with no reservations.

7. In general, the Director took great care to answer my questions fully--I took up more of her time than either of us anticipated and she was gracious about it.

I'm happy to share further with you via PM.
#10 of 45 Old 10-17-2008, 01:43 AM

i'm in south park... where are you goind to be? i'm also looking for other mamas to meet up with

#11 of 45 Old 10-18-2008, 05:27 AM

I'm a first time mom expecting in early April 2009 and I live in the UTC/La Jolla area. Looking for other pregnant mommy friends. Drop me a PM if you want to meet up to go shopping. :-)
#12 of 45 Old 10-18-2008, 02:29 PM

I just found out we're moving to San Diego next June - can't wait to meet up with some of you mamas!

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#13 of 45 Old 10-22-2008, 01:45 PM

Welcome to San Diego. We live in Ocean Beach. San Diego is great! We love it!

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#14 of 45 Old 11-10-2008, 05:42 AM

We put our daughter in Rainbow Kids Integral Preschool and could not get her out of it fast enough. Suffice to say that what they preach could not be further from what they practice. If anyone wants details, PM me. Straight awful.
#15 of 45 Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 PM

Hey! I have an almost 3 year old boy who would love new friends Any Mamas want to meet up for a playdate PM me
#16 of 45 Old 12-03-2008, 03:31 PM

I'm about an hour a half away from SD in the Imperial Valley but I am up there quite a bit as we have nothing down here!
#17 of 45 Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 AM

Welcome! We recently moved to San Diego too (a few months back!) and are always looking for play dates! Take care!

Jen
#18 of 45 Old 12-18-2008, 10:13 PM

Hello! I just saw this thread! I am up in Oceanside but drive down to San Diego at least a few weekends a month.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#19 of 45 Old 12-27-2008, 09:42 PM

I had to go to Sharp Mary Birch on Friday due to heavy bleeding. My first prenatal visit was at Best Start Birth Center and they typically work with Dr. Gary Blake, but I have read bad reviews about him online and wanted to know if anyone has recommendations for a good ob/gyn who I can meet with for a follow up appointment.

Thanks!

mama to scarlett born 9/1/10
#20 of 45 Old 12-28-2008, 06:29 PM

Having interviewed many many docs during my 2nd pregnancy..the only doc I would even consider taken my clothes off with let alone consider allowing to catch my baby is Dr Robert Biter...

He is an amazing human being and we are blessed to have him in the San Diego birthing community
#21 of 45 Old 12-28-2008, 11:44 PM

I saw on Best Start's website that they have 2 OBGYNs that they work with. Perhaps you can ask them who the other one is.

I find it rather disconcerting/strange that they refer to Dr. Blake who supposedly has one of the highest c-section rates in the city.
#22 of 45 Old 12-29-2008, 12:15 AM

Yes I also saw on ratemds.com that Dr. Blake has a high c-section rate. The other ob/gyn they use is Dr. Michael Wong and according to reviews on ratemds.com, his office staff are somewhat unfriendly.

I plan on looking into west coast ob office, http://www.wcobgyn.com/ (good reviews on best start) and Women's HealthCare. http://www.womenwellness.net/

#23 of 45 Old 12-31-2008, 02:23 AM

i'm heading back to work part time and need to find a good childcare setting : AP friendly? is this possible? I'll probably need it starting Feb. or at the end of January...
would love to meet other moms!
#24 of 45 Old 12-31-2008, 02:27 AM

I love Dr. Chrysten Cunningham-- I saw her until I switched to Best Start at 22 weeks. She's in Hillcrest.619-298-6701
she doesn't work with Best Start...but if you're just going for a follow up, she's great. doesn't take HMOs...
#25 of 45 Old 12-31-2008, 02:07 PM

I called Womens' Healthcare on Monday. I told the nurse that I was 8 weeks pregnant on Friday, but could be having a miscarriage. She took my name and number and said someone would call me back. As of today, no one has contacted me from their office.

Then I called West Coast ob/gyn, explained my story and have an appt next week Tuesday. The staff was really nice and I liked the fact that I could fill out my paperwork online and send via email or print and fax/snail mail.

#26 of 45 Old 01-01-2009, 07:33 AM

rakishchick: Many hugs to you
#27 of 45 Old 01-03-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleentara View Post
i'm heading back to work part time and need to find a good childcare setting : AP friendly? is this possible? I'll probably need it starting Feb. or at the end of January...
would love to meet other moms!
Where are you located? I have a great childcare in the Lemon Grove area. PM me if you're interested & I can give you more info.
#28 of 45 Old 01-03-2009, 12:11 PM

I will be moving to Carlsbad in June and looking to provide an AP childcare setting for 1-2 kids in addition to my own. I know that you need something sooner, but if you find something and it doesn't work out, the option is there starting at the end of June.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#29 of 45 Old 01-06-2009, 06:19 AM
Banned

Hi ladies. I will soon be moving somewhere in SD as babydaddy is stationed on Coronado. Im expecting number 2 in Aug; we have our first apmt. at Best Start next week. I already have a 4 y/o. I too am looking to care for one or two bebes in my home or out of home(PT) as I have over 4 years of professional nanny experience. I rock. More importantly, I would LOVE to meet some like-minded mamas in this area as I grew up in the SGV and all my friends are there. =(
#30 of 45 Old 01-08-2009, 11:14 PM

Hi LAdies, Sorry to pop in on your chat,

DH and I are visiting the SD area next week. We are in Chicago (temp about 10 degrees right now) and wondering- what is the weather like in mid Jan and what should we pack for clothing?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page