Need Advice! SoCal Hospitals and VBAC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-03-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I just found out that I am pregnant with my 2nd child. My first was an attempted Homebirth that went to the hospital for an eventual cesarean. I wouldn't dialate past 7 cm and he was doing damage to me after 2 days in labor and 5 hours pushing at home. It was a very sad experience for me as i was praying for a water birth. Now that I am pregnant again, no hospitals in my area will support a VBAC. (banned) I have no money to pay a HB midwife. I am trying to convince my medical group to refer me out and my two possible choices are UC Irvine and USC- Good Samaritan hospital. Good Samaritan looks good- they have midwives and birthing tubs, but UCI is closer and would have less traffic. I would have to travel atleast 90 min either way, but its worth it. I want to have a natural, drug free VBAC and am not sure which hospital would allow me to do this better. Any suggestions or prior experience? Another option is to switch medical groups, find a new doctor and go to Loma Linda...but I like my doctor...
#2 of 13 Old 11-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Your best bet at Good Sam is Dr. Mark Dwight. I know he used to do VBACs, but it's been a couple years.

Best of luck,
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#3 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 02:07 AM

Are you talking about Good Samaritan Hospital on Wilshire? No midwives there, but Dr. Dwight, as mentioned before, has a very good attitude about informed patients and VBAC.

Also, they have tubs, but not *birthing* tubs... they will want you out of the water for pushing. And only two rooms have tubs, so it's luck of the draw whether one is available when you get there.

Finally... the hospital staff is hit-and-miss. No matter what you've worked out with your doctor, they're liable to tell you that "your doctor ordered..." a bunch of things he didn't, because they're standard. :-/ OTOH, I had two wonderful night nurses, one in L&D (who was planning on leaving nursing to become a naturopath, and thought that wine should be my first attempt for pain relief ;-) and one in post-partum (who insisted on skin-to-skin as a first step to raise baby's temp when it dipped too low, even though standard procedure was to take him off to a warmer... "Babies should be with their parents" she said).
#4 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 04:32 PM

Can you get referred to St Joseph? I had a VBAC with Dr Akerman at St Joseph in Orange and was very happy with how supportive both he and the staff at St Joseph were during my birth, and my VBAC went smoothly. I heard that Loma Linda was not great for VBACs and that they tend to push for RCS towards the end, so that's why I avoided Loma Linda.

Wife to awesome DH, and Mama to DD (6/05), and DS (12/07)
#5 of 13 Old 11-09-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help ladies, but it turns out that neither hospital will take my insurance, so I have to switch medical groups and go to Loma Linda...any suggestions for OBs there?
#6 of 13 Old 11-09-2008, 10:54 PM

These sites have lists of various supportive doctors...

http://www.supportedbirth.com/resources.htm

http://www.socalbirth.com/providers/ob.html

http://www.socalbirth.com/providers/cnmhosp.html

You might want to call the providers listed and ask them what Medical Groups they accept. My daugher used Rebecca Perlow and I know she only took Community Medical Group. BTW, Dr Perlow is wonderful!
#7 of 13 Old 11-26-2008, 04:24 AM
ltk

I don't know if you have already made a decision, but CA Hospital Midwives are absolutely fantastic. I had the pleasure of working with them twice, under two different groups. The catch was I used the clinic at Eisner Pediatric and Family Center for my pre-natal care....the midwives there are very supportive and they took my HMO. Worth it, if you can't pay cash for a home birth.....good luck!
#8 of 13 Old 11-26-2008, 07:25 PM

I would just encourage you to ask around to midwives. Many of them offer sliding scales - especially in this economy. And many do do VBACs. Don't give up your dream of a HB so easily! If there's a will, there's a way.

AP HB Mama to three beautiful girls!
#9 of 13 Old 11-28-2008, 04:53 AM

:

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#10 of 13 Old 11-28-2008, 05:26 PM

I see you're in the high desert, me too.
Loma LInda Hospital has a few doctors that will do VBACs.
Otherwise, I second the lay midwives.
#11 of 13 Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Not sure if these are options for you but I know that both UCLA and Cedars Sinai allow VBACs. Can't rec an OB that does them.

(I go to the midwifery group at UCLA but I don't know if they do VBACs. They are terrific and helped me avoid a c-section.)
#12 of 13 Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 AM

The UCLA Midwives claim to do VBACs. But they apparently aren't really trusted with them by the powers that be.

I wanted to abstain from the glucose challenge during my last pg, and instead just check my own blood sugar at home on the same protocol used for GD patients (reason being I knew I was at relatively high risk for GD, and thought that drinking sugar syrup was probably NOT what I should be doing). One of the midwives okayed this plan, but on the next visit, I was told they'd have to refer me out to an MD if I didn't do the challenge. Why? Because, since I was a VBAC, if things stalled out during my labor (again... last time I was induced, and this was also with the UCLA midwives), and they had to consult an MD about augmentation, then the MD would ask about my glucose challenge results (?), and when it was discovered I hadn't done one, the Chief of Medicine would come down on them.

This was the exact scenario presented to me during the 40-minute round-in-circles conversation my husband and I had with one of the CNMs, who was present for the first 12 hours of my previous birth. I verified with the head midwife that, if I declined the glucose challenge, I would be dropped from care, which she confirmed. I then switched to Dr. Dwight, who thought my plan sounded eminently reasonable.

So, if you want to do a VBAC with the midwives, you'll need to be willing to do EVERYTHING by the book, it seems... and my research leads me to believe that's no way to do a VBAC.
#13 of 13 Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 AM

I'm not sure about OB's at Loma Linda, but my SIL had a VBAC at Irvine Regional. I'm not sure if that's an option for you or not. If it is, let me know and I can try to find out who her OB was.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page