RILKE SCHULE ~ German Immersion school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-20-2008, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Little plug here (if allowed, if not please remove) for my favorite public school!!:

KINDERGARTEN PRACTICE CLASS
As we begin our outreach for next years new students, we will be hosting a practice kindergarten class for families interested in Rilke Schule. Please pass this information along to anyone you know who may be interested, or plan to come with your 4 or 5 year old who will be enrolling next year. We know that a lot of families new to Rilke Schule are curious to find out how an immersion class works. Thus, we are planning several practice German classes for interested students and their parents/guardians on Saturday mornings. We are offering this class once a month from December through February to make it possible for all interested families to attend a simulation and see if our program is the right fit for their child. The first class will be held Saturday, December 13th, from 10 AM until Noon at Rilke Schule. Songs, games, snacks, crafts – all in German! Parents, you will be able to get answers to all questions you might have about our program. Please register your child (name, age & phone number) for this event as space is limited. To register, call the school at 742-7455 or send an email to info@rilkeschule.org. If your child is an "alum" of a certain preschool and you would be willing to help serve as a liaison to that school by delivering flyers for this event, please send a reply email to Liz Crafford at rilke.schule.verein@gmail.com with the name of the school and the number of flyers you can deliver.
#2 of 18 Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 AM

Oh that sounds like fun.
#3 of 18 Old 11-20-2008, 12:50 PM

YEA I am so happy you've found a school that is right for you.

Just a caution, though--I've also heard the opposite from a couple of families who have left. So, although, I hear that everyone agrees the philos is outstanding, it may not be a good fit for every child.

But, enjoy b/c when it fits, how COOL
#4 of 18 Old 11-20-2008, 04:44 PM

Do they still take first graders or not? I am considering something for my 5yo but he is already in K. Thanks.
#5 of 18 Old 11-22-2008, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I am pretty sure they are taking all grades. Especially the upper ones! My 2 are in K and 2nd. They did have 3 kindergarten classes but not enough funds to have all 3 teachers so they merged the 3 small classes into 2 larger ones. Still there are only 23 kids per class which is 8 less then my DD had in California K.
They have 1 large 2nd grade with 29 students.
I am not sure how many are in the 1st grade but probably in the 20-25 range.

I really love this school and my kids are doing great. And the german part is totally cool.

In K, my kids have 1/2 day in English and 1/2 day in german. Their German teacher is german!
the 2nd grade is the same way. The teacher for 2nd grade is a nice young man who is fluent in german. He teaches Math in german and it is really cool listening to my son speak german to us when he is counting and stuff.
They are starting to intermigle the german with the english in their everyday speech. Not a lot but enough to notice.

The school also has german classes for adults after work for like $150 for a 8 week course.

They so a lot of german festivals, last week was Martinstag (or St. Martin's day) and they did a parade in the evening with lanterns and collected coat donations.

You are required to volunteer 3 hours per month or pay $16 per hour that you cannot volunteer but I am on the baking committee and have found it very easy to exceed my volunteer hours.

This school is brand new and only just into it's 2nd year. I can see a lot of room for improvement. Things are not perfect but for the first time my Aaron (8) is LOVING school and that is the most important thing right now. Plus he is doing very well acidemically! (and I cannot spell! LOL)

Also they do have a stricter dress code which at first was slightly intimidating but now I love it and my kids have NO issues at all with wearing a "uniform"

http://www.rilkeschule.org/

Most of the partents are pretty nice too. I have only met a few though.
#6 of 18 Old 11-22-2008, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
YEA I am so happy you've found a school that is right for you.

Just a caution, though--I've also heard the opposite from a couple of families who have left. So, although, I hear that everyone agrees the philos is outstanding, it may not be a good fit for every child.

But, enjoy b/c when it fits, how COOL
Oh I agree. been there done that with my own!
#7 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

bumping for this Saturday!

KINDERGARTEN PRACTICE CLASS-KINDERFEST!
WHAT: Practice kindergarten class for families interested in Rilke Schule.
WHEN: The first class will be held Saturday, December 13th, from 10 AM until Noon.
WHERE: at Rilke Schule
COST: FREE BUT Please register your child (name, age & phone number) for this event as space is limited.

Please pass this information along to anyone you know who may be interested, or plan to come with your 4 or 5 year old who will be enrolling next year. We know that a lot of families new to Rilke Schule are curious to find out how an immersion class works. We are offering this class once a month from December through February to make it possible for all interested families to attend a simulation and see if our program is the right fit for their child. Songs, games, snacks, crafts – all in German! Parents, you will be able to get answers to all questions you might have about our program. To register, call the school at 742-7455 or send an email to info@rilkeschule.org.
#8 of 18 Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 AM

ok, so i realize that this is an old thread, but we just started there last week my son changed from a school on base to rilke schule (kindy). a little worried about jumping in 3 quarters of teh way thru a school year, but....we'll see how it goes.

anyway, howdy!
#9 of 18 Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

well, welcome! My Lessley is in Kindergarten.
HOw is your son doing?
#10 of 18 Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 PM

so far seems to be doing well. obviously his german is behind that of his peers, but we're hoping the picks it up quickly since we're moving to Germany in November .

Does she have german in the AM or PM? Liam is doing german in the AM and then english in the PM. maybe they are in the same class!!

Liv
#11 of 18 Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

I think so! She has German in the morning.
#12 of 18 Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 PM

awesome! they are in the same class then, if she has german in the mornings!!

how cool!
#13 of 18 Old 03-25-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Rilke Schule provides a weekly email newsletter to all parents.

Here was todays...........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rilke Schule Verein Email, v.2, no. 032
March 25th, 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This weekly Verein Email is intended to spread useful news and information to the Rilke Schule Community! If you have something to share, send it in! Events, Volunteer Needs, Thank You's, Congratulations, etc.

For up-to-date school information and newsletters, please check the school website: www.rilkeschule.org
and the RSV Website http://rilkeschule.wikispaces.com.

Did you know we also have an online FORUM where parents, teachers and community members can post questions, comments or other information that could be useful to our Rilke Schule 'family'?? Check it out!! http://rilkeschule.info/forum/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CALENDAR- What's happening when! SOON
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Complete RSV Calendar is available at: http://rilkeschule.wikispaces.com/Calendar

Monday-Thursday, March 23 - 26, 2-5 PM
Rilke Schule Spring Book Fair, Volunteers needed
Weds-Thurs, March 25-26, FULL DAYS OF SCHOOL, storm makeup days from ASD - Parent-Teacher Conferences cancelled
Friday, March 27th, Regular School Day, In Service Day cancelled
Friday, March 27th, Travel Club Family Movie Night! Monsters AG (Monsters, Inc.)! 6:30 PM
Saturday, March 28th, Deutsches Jugendfest for grades 5 - 8, 9am-3PM, at Northern Lights ABC school.
Thursday, April 2nd, Benchmark/SBA Testing 3rd-8th Grade
Friday, April 3rd, 3rd Quarter Awards Ceremony
Tues-Thurs, April 7-9, Benchmark/SBA Testing 3rd-8th Grade
Thurs, April 9th, 6:30 PM, APC Meeting at School. Public is welcome
Saturday, April 18th, Final Kinderfest, 10 - noon
Tuesday, April 21st, Rilke Schule Verein Board Meeting, 6 PM Location To Be Announced
Weds, April 22nd, Dress Up Day
Friday, April 24th, Spirit Day
Friday, April 24th, 6:30 PM, Travel Club Family Movie Night, Ratatouille

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GENERAL SCHOOL ANNOUNCEMENTS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME - posted March 25th
Congratulations to all of our new Rilke Schule Families who will be joining us in the fall. The lottery was a big success and we have a great group of incoming new students next year. If you are an old family and you see a new face, please welcome them! If you are a new face, please ask lots of questions and we look forward to seeing you at school, soon! Welcome to the Rilke Schule Family.

CAR POOLING NEXT YEAR.....updated March 18th
Why would we be thinking about that now? Because we have lots of new interested families coming to visit the school. If you are interested in car pooling next year, put a pin on the map by the nurses office, and your contact info on an index card in the box on the credenza. Take some time to look at the map and see who lives near you!

BROWNIE AND DAISY PARTY - posted March 25th
The Brownie and Daisy troops are having a joint party this Thursday at school, 6:30 - 8 PM. They would like to invite any other Rilke Schule girls who may be Girl Scouts with other troops in town to join us for the fun! We will be watching a movie in our pajamas! Bring a treat to share.

SPRACHMEISTERS AND SPRACHMEISTERINS
Keep working on it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPCOMING EVENTS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RILKE SCHULE SPRING BOOKFAIR Happening Now!- posted Feb. 4th
WHAT: Spring Bookfair at school. Follow this link to learn the schedule details. http://bookfairs.scholastic.com/homepage/rilkeschule
WHEN: March 23 - 26, 2009, 2 - 5 PM
WHERE: at Rilke Schule
DETAILS: The Bookfair Chairman is Tallee Wellman (ssasee@gmail.com). Coordinators and volunteers are needed to make this fair another successful event. There is a volunteer sign up sheet on the sign in table.

FAMILY MOVIE NIGHT - posted March 25th
WHAT: Monsters, AG (Monsters, Inc.)
WHEN: Friday, March 27th, 6:30 PM
WHERE: Rilke Schule multipurpose room
DETAILS: Pizza and a drink $5. Popcorn and candy available for purchase. Please, no outside food or drink. All proceeds go toward Travel Club students' trip to Germany.

DEUTSCHES JUGENDFEST - posted March 18th
WHAT - All day event for 5-8 graders, 9 AM 3 PM. Six German mini classes, including Barbarians!!
WHEN - Saturday, March 28th
WHERE - Northern Lights ABC School, at Lake Otis and Dowling
DETAILS - Interested students should get an application from their teacher. Teachers from all over the district help to run it.

FAMILY MOVIE NIGHT - posted March 25th
WHAT: Ratatouille
WHEN: Friday, April 24th, 6:30 PM
WHERE: Rilke Schule multipurpose room
DETAILS: Pizza and a drink $5. Popcorn and candy available for purchase. Please, no outside food or drink. All proceeds go toward Travel Club students' trip to Germany.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VOLUNTEER AND DONATION OPPORTUNITIES
BOOKFAIR VOLUNTEERS NEEDED - posted Mar 4th
Volunteers are needed to sign up to help Tallee with the Spring bookfair. Please check out the website and send Tallee an email (ssasee@gmail.com) that you can help her during the fair. There is a volunteer sign-up sheet on the sign-in table.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FOR OUR NEW FAMILIES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We would like to welcome you to our Rilke Schule Family! We think that by sharing information with you, we can help you to discover if Rilke Schule is right for your family! As always, please check out our school website www.rilkeschule.org for the latest details on what is happening. The school has created a special category on the left hand side just for Prospective Families where we have gathered all the information that we think may help you.

School Tours
Interested in a tour of Rilke Schule? If you wish to see the school during school hours, please call the school (742-7455) and arrange for an individual tour - large groups are disruptive to the children and the teachers. We are scheduling tours for after hours and Saturdays to accommodate work schedules. You do not need to call ahead for one of these tours. Just show up! Our Parent Ambassadors will be leading the tours.

Please park BEHIND the school in the parking lot across 53rd Street from the school. 53rd is the first street south of International off Arctic. The parking lot is just past the school on the right hand (south) side of the street. The back entrance is through the fence across the playground.

Tour Schedule:
The next school tour will be Saturday April 18th at noon!

Kindergarten Practice Class - Final Class, April 18th
We know that a lot of families are curious to find out how an immersion class works. Thus, we are holding a practice German class for interested students and their parents/guardians on a Saturday morning. We are offering this class once a month from December through April to make it possible for all interested families to attend a simulation and see if our program is the right fit for their child. Parents will also be able to get answers to any questions they might have.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 from 10am to Noon at Rilke Schule.

Please register your child by calling 742-7455 or sending an e-mail to info@rilkeschule.org with your child's name, current age, your name, and a contact phone number.

Parent Ambassador Program
Rilke Schule has an active group of parent volunteers who are happy to help interested families learn more about the school. Thus, Rilke Schule has started a new program to put Prospective Families in touch with a 'Parent Ambassador'. These parents are available to address your questions about the school from a parent's perspective.
If you would like to speak with a Parent Ambassador, please send us an email at:

ParentAmbassador@RilkeSchule.org.

Please indicate if you prefer contact by phone or e-mail. You can also sign up to receive weekly informational emails from the Rilke Schule Verein (the Parent volunteers).

Saturday Morning Coffee Hours
Are you wondering how immersion really works? Wondering if Rilke is the right fit for your child? Grab a cup of coffee and take this opportunity to talk with current parents of Rilke students about how Rilke's program is working for their families. Coffee Hours will be scheduled during the spring at various Coffee Shops around town. Check the school website regularly for when they are happening and where.

The next coffee hour will be scheduled soon.

CARPOOL TO RILKE SCHULE
The Rilke Schule Verein (the PTO) sponsors a car pool program to help connect parents and save fuel. When you come to visit the school, locate the map near the nurses office. You can locate your home on the map, and see where others live that may be near you or on your route to school. You can then look up contact information for these folks about sharing rides to and from school. Check it out when you come to visit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GERMAN AND OTHER CULTURAL HAPPENINGS IN ANCHORAGE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THE GERMAN CLUB OF ANCHORAGE
The next meeting of the German Club of Anchorage is a Membership and Social Meeting on Friday April 10th at 7:30 PM at the Golden Lion Hotel, 1000 East 36th Ave. Contact Hans Schwaiger at 563-6846 for more information. New members are welcome. A schedule of the Annual Events of the German Club is posted at Rilke Schule.

OUR OWN FRAU YULIYA'S SOLO ART EXHIBIT
Art teacher Frau Yuliya's is having a solo art exhibition at the Fire Island Bakery Shop on the corner of 14th and G streets right outside of downtown Anchorage. The exhibition runs from Friday, March 6th until Thursday, April 2nd. Stop by and see her beautiful art work, and you will understand why our children do such wonderful things in art class! Congratulations, Yuliya!

THE GERMAN STAMMTISCH
Meet and mingle with fellow German Speakers near you! Come to a German Language Meetup to practice speaking, build vocab and finally figure out those verb conjugations. Anyone who is interested in the German culture, or European culture is welcome to attend. All ages and levels willkommen!

The next meetup is:
When: April 4, 2009 5:00 PM
Where: Let's try TGIF at Tudor for a change. Hope to see everyone there.
Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com/The-German-Sta...ndar/10005931/

~~~~~~~~~~
SONSTIGES
~~~~~~~~~~
Does anyone know the whereabouts of the barbecue grill that was donated to the school last summer? It seems to have been misplaced in the rush of things. If you moved it somewhere or know where it was last seen, please contact Arlynda Hermann at .ja.hermann@alaska.net , 333-2636.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A very big THANK YOU to Frau Julie and Frau Terri who spent eight hours last Friday calling all of our new families about the lottery. Talk about above and beyond the call of duty!! We appreciate all you do for the school! Also thank you to all the Verein organizers who hosted a great Family Potluck.

We will send the next regularly scheduled Verein Email on Wednesday, April 1st
If you have news items you wish to have included send them to rilke.schule.verein@gmail.com by Tuesday afternoon.

--
This email has been sent by the Rilke Schule Verein communications
group. Please let us know if you wish to be removed from this list or
need your address updated. Contact group leaders Liz Crafford or Cassie Jeremias
at this address with any questions.
#14 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 AM

Thanks for posting this! My daughter got accepted for kindergarten next year. It seems like a good place but I'm still on the fence - my husband really wants her to go there, but I"m still kind of hoping she gets in to Denali Montessori or Aquarian - she got into Polaris but I told them that for now we were staying with Rilke Schule - it's closer and one of her friends is going there too. My biggest concern is that there's really no playground - I know the play time is important to kids (I did love recess myself) so I wonder what they do to keep the kids from getting bored with the tiny space they have and the 1 play structure and basketball hoops?

Thanks!
#15 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Let me ask my kiddos!

To be honest, I was kinda worried about that too. This was their second year and they JUST got that playground put in like a week before school started.
When I watch the kids play, they all seem like they are doing good and having fun.
My kids never complain about a lack of outside time.

They dont have a "gym" but they utilize the mulit purpose room and they are frequently outside for gym too. Today, my son's class was outside playing soccer for gym and having a blast!

I think it did bother me in the begining but given how small the school is I think they are utilizing the space quite well. They have music and lots of Art which are really important to me.

ANyway, I will ask my kiddos about the outside thing. Be prepared for a 6 year old answer! LOL
#16 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

occasionally my oldest there (2nd grade) does complain a bit about the uniform but 95% of the time there is no issues with the uniform and getting dressed in the morning is a snap!
#17 of 18 Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 PM

How about the healthy food policy? My daughter REFUSES to eat fruit - has ever since she got old enough to eat non-baby food as a baby. I think it's a texture thing but whatever. What qualifies as non healthy food anyway? I'm sure sending her with yogurt is cool but what about things like pretzels? I imagine fruit snacks are out (hey they have fruit juice and I take what I can get since she won't eat apples or grapes or oranges or anything except bananas). She ALSO won't eat raw carrots either so no carrot sticks. Sigh. On the bright side she always did eat her peas and broccoli and other veggies really well. Anyway - what are the specifics of that policy?
#18 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lellenn View Post
How about the healthy food policy? My daughter REFUSES to eat fruit - has ever since she got old enough to eat non-baby food as a baby. I think it's a texture thing but whatever. What qualifies as non healthy food anyway? I'm sure sending her with yogurt is cool but what about things like pretzels? I imagine fruit snacks are out (hey they have fruit juice and I take what I can get since she won't eat apples or grapes or oranges or anything except bananas). She ALSO won't eat raw carrots either so no carrot sticks. Sigh. On the bright side she always did eat her peas and broccoli and other veggies really well. Anyway - what are the specifics of that policy?
I have not seen a written policy on that. I never thought to look.
They are not super strict as my kids do take PB & J and animal crackers on occassion. Once they even took a single serving box of Frosted Cheerios to school in their lunch box!

Um, my typical lunch consists of
Sandwich on whole-grain or wheat bread
Applesauce (since it is a fav here)
100% fruit juice box (we dont do milk)
String cheese or Yogurt (they dont like to see Go-gurts)
pack of crackers (you know that cheese on cheese or PB on ritz kind?)

I do send carrots but they hardly get eaten.
My DD loves Mango. I send her a small amount of the frozen stuff and it is thawed by the time she eats it.
Um, grapes and those baby oranges and small apples, sometimes a banana.

We have a veggie problem here so fruits will go into the lunch box.

Sometimes we send just crackers and cheese instead of a sandwich or a wrap.

The school doesn't like to see any cookies or chips, fruit snacks...My son says Nutri-Grain bars and Granola Bars are a no-no so we only do those for a quick breakfast on the go.

THe Kindergarteners have snack time at school. This year the parents signed up for 2 weeks to provide snacks during the year. We got the 2 short weeks! LOL

You are encouraged to send only healthy snacks. Our first week was also my DD's birthday so we make carrot cake/cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
We also sent 2 boxes of the christmas oranges (they were in season) and on the last day we sent something but I cannot recall! LOL

I have heard of mom's sending Strawberries dipped in chocolate and veggies trays with dip, Ants on a Log, cream cheese and mini bagles....etc.

They are not super strict and they also have a microwave available in the classroom and the teachers will assit in heating up foods.

It all takes trial and error at times. Heck, even as non picky as my picky kids can be, there are days when they come home with a nearly full lunch box.

Thank Goodness for the "after school snack"!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page