Midwife/OB recommendation? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-30-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies!

I am new to the boards I am due in July and looking forward to trying a hypnobabies VBAC... but I am still looking for a doctor/midwife who would be on board with my birth plan. Does anybody have any recommendations? I need someone who can deliver my baby at Regional.

*ERICA* mom to Emma (3), Addison (2), and Grace (1mo)
~Nurse~ ~Doula~ Anchorage, AK
#2 of 15 Old 11-30-2008, 12:03 PM

the Midwives at Geneva woods do VBACs, not sure if they work at Regional though. I'm pretty sure Dr. Mark Richey does though.

Providence does seem to be the VBAC-friendlier hospital though. If you go on the State's birth statistics website Regional's VBAC rate in 2006 (most recent year with data available) was only 6.4% to Prov's 19%. But provider choice is more important anyway, either way, I'd suggest laboring at home as long as possible.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#3 of 15 Old 11-30-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

thats why I want to find a good provider.... I had my first c-section at Prov (due to cord compression/decelerations) and then DH's insurance switched our preferred hospital to Regional. I am looking forward to the bigger rooms and the birthing tubs though!

#4 of 15 Old 11-30-2008, 04:29 PM

hey, if you need a doula.....................
#5 of 15 Old 11-30-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, I need a doula too! I really want to do hypnobirthing... do you know anything about that?

#6 of 15 Old 12-01-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2andcounting View Post
I am looking forward to the bigger rooms and the birthing tubs though!
Just FYI - my son was born last Dec at Regional. The tub is not a birthing tub, but available for some women in labor. You can only use it if you water hasn't broken, and most women probably at the hospital before then. However, I did spend about 2 hours in the shower in my room. That was very nice. Wish my home water heater would allow a shower longer than 8 minutes.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#7 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Yep, I need a doula too! I really want to do hypnobirthing... do you know anything about that?
Not yet. I have heard a lot about it but I never thought It would work for me personally.

July 4th is a great EDD! I had a baby on July 5th.
#8 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Just FYI -The tub is not a birthing tub, but available for some women in labor. You can only use it if you water hasn't broken, and most women probably at the hospital before then.

Ugh, what a bummer! Shoot, I own my own bathtub, might as well labor at home as long as I can

Does anybody know anything about the midwife center back on LaTouche (behind Fred Meyers Northern Lights, by Village Inn?)

#9 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 04:13 PM

Yes, have heard they are great, but state licensing says no VBAC's for CPM's.

You either have to go to the hospital with a supportive CNM or OB or go unassisted. Do you have access to ANMC? They have the highest VBAC rates plus they do hypnobirthing. I went there for my VBAC. It was ok.

I think for Regional the only one I know of that is supportive is Dr. Mark Ritchie. Most others practice at Providence. Maybe Dr. Owen Bell practices at both? He also has a CNM that works with him as well...I think Barbara Norton at Geneva Woods, CNM, only practices at Providence.

I think the most important thing for VBACers is to find a provider who is truly, not just saying it, but truly supportive. Do you research and be insistent and determined. And find a doula or trusted person who can help you make decisions while you're in laborland.

I don't want to be negative, but my experience was I had to fight every step of the way and it was exhausting, but worth it. However, I was coming from a preexisting negative view of hospital birthing and I was pretty upset I couldn't do a homebirth (with a mw).

Good luck!!!
#10 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information Mistee! Unfortunately, I dont have access to ANMC, at least not as a patient (as a nursing student, we do all of our clinicals there though). I have seen several of their births and the ladies always look so relaxed, even without pain meds!

I will look up Dr.Ritchie, thanks!

Yep, I think this will definitely be an uphill battle.... I was looking around online trying to find some natural childbirth classes, and the only ones I found were Bradley (12 week course)... not sure if a 12 week course is feasible for our schedule

I really want to take a hypnobirthing or hypnobabies course, but I havent found any in Anchorage yet

#11 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM

I know a couple moms who recently used hypnobirthing (or hypnobabies, not sure) with just CD's and had good experiences. That may be something to look into.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#12 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:

I really want to take a hypnobirthing or hypnobabies course, but I havent found any in Anchorage yet
Dolly LeFever is the hypnobirthing teacher that I know of here in town... I think she's in the phone book?

ETA: try this phone-
HypnoBirthing: 223-9927
#13 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 03:07 AM

And if any of you have birthed in the last three years, please fill out the Birth Survey. Let's get some of the names/locations documented so that others can find the care providers they need as well. http://www.thebirthsurvey.com/
#14 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 04:59 AM

And there are a couple of travelling midwives that will do a VBAC homebirth and also take insurance. These are very experienced older midwives who like to come to beautiful places like Alaska in July! So if you are interested you can pm me and I'll give you their contact number.
#15 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Ugh, what a bummer! Shoot, I own my own bathtub, might as well labor at home as long as I can

Does anybody know anything about the midwife center back on LaTouche (behind Fred Meyers Northern Lights, by Village Inn?)
they are super great! I got my prenatal care there during my last pregnancy! I really meshed with all the midwives there. However, it is true that midwives in Alaska are not allowed to attend any VBACs out of a hospital. Poohy cuz VBACs rock and that really makes things difficult for any of us who VBAC.

I wish VBACs were not so hard to do. I am moderator of a great VBAC support group. Just PM me for the link

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page