Ongoing Alaska Chat ~~ New for December! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 149 Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its 25 below at our house.
We can't get the van started. Don't have a block heater on this one.
And I need to get to the farm and pick up 30 gallons of milk for our co-op!!!!!
And hubby to get to work....Oh well...
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#122 of 149 Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Ack, I hate this -9 weather. Our pipes froze 3 nights in a row.

I can't stand this. I want to go back to Oregon.
I prefer when it never drops below 30!

Running in this cold would seriously mess with my asthma. I can't even imagine wanting to run in the cold (or ever lol).

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#123 of 149 Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

It's colder than -30 or -40 at my house (I can't remember what the cutoff is on my digital therm, but it won't read whatever it is out there right now). It was 88* when I left Texas on Sunday, and -43* when I landed in Fbx that night. That sucked. My dog, who basked in sunshine for 2+ weeks, refuses to go outside now.

I'm almost 33 weeks along! How the heck did that happen? I can't believe I'm so close to the end, and I still feel so unprepared!

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#124 of 149 Old 12-30-2008, 11:57 PM

The report was 65 below in Fairbanks this morning.
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#125 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
It's colder than -30 or -40 at my house (I can't remember what the cutoff is on my digital therm, but it won't read whatever it is out there right now). It was 88* when I left Texas on Sunday, and -43* when I landed in Fbx that night. That sucked. My dog, who basked in sunshine for 2+ weeks, refuses to go outside now.

I'm almost 33 weeks along! How the heck did that happen? I can't believe I'm so close to the end, and I still feel so unprepared!
oh! Getting close momma! Did you decide on a place to birth at yet????
#126 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 AM

We've had to keep the cold water running in the tub, bathroom sink and kitchen sink and our pipes have still frozen every night for the past three nights.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#127 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 06:07 AM

Try leaving your cupboard doors open too. Bleh, frozen pipes are such a drag huh?
#128 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 06:21 AM

I would ... but our tub has no cupboard doors lol...

Actually, we keep the kitchen (under sink) and bathroom (under sink) cupboards open. It hasn't helped, or rather, if it did help, it didn't keep our pipes from freezing.

Our water heater is located DIRECTLY next to the tub so I don't know how the water can freeze so quickly in the span of a couple feet of pipe, pipes that are wrapped in heat tape no less.

But as a perky update, our toilet and washer now are frozen too... I found out when I tried to flush. :

#129 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 PM

Oh lovely! Try pouring hot water down it. Also, keep the hot water dripping instead of the cold. It's more expensive but might help enough.
#130 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 05:07 PM

dang, you all are scaring me about moving to Anchorage! (I confess, the fact that we own a house in the 48 has tempted me to return there, rather than selling that and staying here...I just keep thinking about the fact that we can actually live on DH's salary here, oh yeah, and the PFD )

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#131 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM

I will try pouring hot water.. I think I have some water in my tea kettle I can heat up. We have actually kept both hot and cold water dripping. Should I try just the hot? Last time we just ran the hot, the cold froze up, so that is why we run both.

#132 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
oh! Getting close momma! Did you decide on a place to birth at yet????
The rough plan is still that I'm birthing at Fairbanks Memorial. I'm hoping to have someone watch my son while I labor/deliver, because I don't want him to be scared watching me or hearing me (he's very sensitive and in tune with mommy's pain).

I say rough plan because she may decide not to wait the 5-6 hours I'll have been laboring by the time I get to FMH. In which case, I have no idea. DH still would rather ship me to TX, which I absolutely do NOT want. I want to spend the end of my pregnancy and beginning of my babymoon at home, thankyouverymuch. He doesn't get it. I keep thinking he might get it if he could carry this baby but nature has her own ideas I suppose.

#133 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 07:42 PM

-48 in town right now.

Completely OT, but spruce I was wondering what kind of internet you get at your place. DP is getting me the Internet for Christmas : and when I called GCI about cable internet they told me that my address "doesn't exist". [So did UPS for that matter and Fed Ex too when I was supposed to get my xmas pkgs from relatives, who knew]. So I'm thinking we'll have to get dsl from acs... anyone else know about internet out in Goldstream? (Vallata side)

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#134 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 PM

Called the trailer park office. There is a voicemail message stating they are closed today :, rent is increasing as of February 1st , and they are aware there is a 'water problem and to please use water sparingly until the problem can be fixed'. So it's not 'our' pipes as I had assumed.... the trickle of water is completely stopped so we now have NO water AT ALL.

And there is no one available to do anything about it because it is the fault of probably the pumps failed again or whatever the issue is... this happens several times a year here!

#135 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
-48 in town right now.

Completely OT, but spruce I was wondering what kind of internet you get at your place. DP is getting me the Internet for Christmas : and when I called GCI about cable internet they told me that my address "doesn't exist". [So did UPS for that matter and Fed Ex too when I was supposed to get my xmas pkgs from relatives, who knew]. So I'm thinking we'll have to get dsl from acs... anyone else know about internet out in Goldstream? (Vallata side)
You can also try Hughes Net. My girlfriend out in Two Rivers, who also has limited options, has them.
#136 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:

We have hughesnet too. They can be a pain to work with (the company--half the employees are not aware taht they serve AK, so I recommend finding a neighbor who actually has it and asking them for a contact person), but the internet itself works quite well. You just need a clear view of the southern sky

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#137 of 149 Old 12-31-2008, 10:17 PM

Gads I should have kept my big mouth shut. Kitchen water, now froze up. My house is built half underground but the kitchen is on an outside wall opposite where the well is to come in our back door so that wall is exposed.
#138 of 149 Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 AM

our dishwasher line is on the outside wall and froze up. It got down to -24 here last night.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#139 of 149 Old 01-01-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
I would ... but our tub has no cupboard doors lol...

Actually, we keep the kitchen (under sink) and bathroom (under sink) cupboards open. It hasn't helped, or rather, if it did help, it didn't keep our pipes from freezing.

Our water heater is located DIRECTLY next to the tub so I don't know how the water can freeze so quickly in the span of a couple feet of pipe, pipes that are wrapped in heat tape no less.

But as a perky update, our toilet and washer now are frozen too... I found out when I tried to flush. :
that is very odd. If your house is at 70ish, there is no reason why your indoor plumbing should be frozen here in Anchorage. It is nothing like the Fairbanks cold. I can imagine this happening in a cabin in Fairbanks at -50 but not at just a mere -10.

Are you on city water and sewer? I wonder if there might be an issue with your lines running from your house to the city system. If those lines are frozen and then the freeze is continuing into the house, you have a problem!
Do you heat your house with wood stove or monitor heater? If you do, then you probably have cold spots and that would explain the freeze as well.

Total drag. I'll ask DH for some ideas.
#140 of 149 Old 01-01-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
The rough plan is still that I'm birthing at Fairbanks Memorial. I'm hoping to have someone watch my son while I labor/deliver, because I don't want him to be scared watching me or hearing me (he's very sensitive and in tune with mommy's pain).

I say rough plan because she may decide not to wait the 5-6 hours I'll have been laboring by the time I get to FMH. In which case, I have no idea. DH still would rather ship me to TX, which I absolutely do NOT want. I want to spend the end of my pregnancy and beginning of my babymoon at home, thankyouverymuch. He doesn't get it. I keep thinking he might get it if he could carry this baby but nature has her own ideas I suppose.
i hear you on that one! My 3rd was just 2 hours long and If we were not already in Fairbanks we would have been birthing on the highway.
My 4th was a 5 hour labor, and we did leave from Delta at 5am on November 29th! DH made it there in 45 minutes! Thank god I was in labor and did not notice just how fast we were going or I would have slapped him! LOL

I wish Delta had a midwife! You could just convince Doc A to deliver. I wonder how long it's been since he had to do that??
#141 of 149 Old 01-01-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
-48 in town right now.

When we lived on Sunny Slope, we had Internet through ACS.
We could not get GCI at there location but that was like 4 years ago. I guess they did not have fiber optics going out there or something.
We were on DSL and not cable internet.
#142 of 149 Old 01-01-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
that is very odd. If your house is at 70ish, there is no reason why your indoor plumbing should be frozen here in Anchorage. It is nothing like the Fairbanks cold. I can imagine this happening in a cabin in Fairbanks at -50 but not at just a mere -10.

Are you on city water and sewer? I wonder if there might be an issue with your lines running from your house to the city system. If those lines are frozen and then the freeze is continuing into the house, you have a problem!
Do you heat your house with wood stove or monitor heater? If you do, then you probably have cold spots and that would explain the freeze as well.

Total drag. I'll ask DH for some ideas.
Okay turns out it wasn't us. I have the thermostat higher than usual today around 71, I usually keep it around 68 to cut costs. We live in a trailer and the park has it's own well, so no city water. Our home is heated with a gas furnace (I'm allergic to woodsmoke from growing up with a home with a woodstove). The ducts run under the house right under the floorboards and are vented up from the floor. I'm glad our lines are not frozen. Our water started flowing again around a half hour ago... it was probably a pump problem again with this place we rent from.

#143 of 149 Old 01-01-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Called the trailer park office. There is a voicemail message stating they are closed today :, rent is increasing as of February 1st , and they are aware there is a 'water problem and to please use water sparingly until the problem can be fixed'. So it's not 'our' pipes as I had assumed.... the trickle of water is completely stopped so we now have NO water AT ALL.

And there is no one available to do anything about it because it is the fault of probably the pumps failed again or whatever the issue is... this happens several times a year here!
Oh, I see the problem now. That is SO not cool.
Have you called the city??? Seriously, if people are running a business like a Trailer park they MUST have running water for the tenants.

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bin...c/%7Bt13905%7D
Quote:

Sec. 34.03.100. Landlord to maintain fit premises.

(a) The landlord shall

(1) make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition;

(5) supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water and heat at all times, insofar as energy conditions permit, except where the building that includes the dwelling unit is so constructed that heat or hot water is generated by an installation within the exclusive control of the tenant and supplied by a direct public utility connection;
You might want to contact HUD and see if they can point you into the right direction if you wish to file a complaint.

http://www.hud.gov/local/index.cfm?s...&topic=offices
#144 of 149 Old 01-01-2009, 04:13 AM

Thank you for those links.

#145 of 149 Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
i hear you on that one! My 3rd was just 2 hours long and If we were not already in Fairbanks we would have been birthing on the highway.
My 4th was a 5 hour labor, and we did leave from Delta at 5am on November 29th! DH made it there in 45 minutes! Thank god I was in labor and did not notice just how fast we were going or I would have slapped him! LOL

I wish Delta had a midwife! You could just convince Doc A to deliver. I wonder how long it's been since he had to do that??
Doc A has told me that he will deliver me if he has to. 45 minutes! Holy speed demon! I'm thinking I may start some natural induction methods when DH is home from work, maybe starting around week 38 or 39.

#146 of 149 Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Any Fairbanksians want some chickens?

The Shelter has lots of chickens for adoption, 15 in fact--most are black and white barred critters with a few little banties mixed in--males and females. Not having great indoor digs for lots of poultry at the Shelter, please help these birds find a good warm winter home. Happy New Year, Ronnie

please cross-post
#147 of 149 Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
-48 in town right now.

I live between Ivory Jacks and the Vallata and have had GCI before, for them you just have to have your long distance service through them and you get free dial-up. We currently have DSL through ACS (had to switch our long distance to them), it's more expensive, but DH forgets to unhook the internet so our phone was always "busy" with the GCI. I figure the expense is worth saving all the frustration and arguments.

ETA: That's weird about the address not existing though, it seems worth checking into to make sure emergency vehicles could find your address.

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#148 of 149 Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Any Fairbanksians want some chickens?
\

Aw I do but i cant have them right now I'll pass the message along though...

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#149 of 149 Old 01-04-2009, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

New thread is up! :

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1020036

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page