Homebirth certified nurse-midwife on Kaua'i!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-15-2008, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was so happy to find out Kaua'i now has a certified nurse-midwife who does homebirth! :

She has a homestead in Wailua where she attends births as well. She offers prenatal services both there and in-home.

In talking with her, I found out her services are really, really affordable too. Yay for birthing options!

Home Birth Kauai: homebirthkauai.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 AM

Wow - her birthing suite and surrounding area sound LUSH and wonderful! What a great alternative place to birth in a home if you are living somewhere you don't want to birth at!
Looks like a great resource for Kauai mamas

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#3 of 6 Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 AM

And she's a really nice person to talk to! I've emailed back and forth a few times.. very sweet!

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#4 of 6 Old 01-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Hey, speaking of CNM, does anyone know if NP's can assist with births in HI? My cousin had wanted a specific NP to help her birth, but the military hospital told them that NP's aren't allowed to assist with hospital birth.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#5 of 6 Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Nurses assist with births here; I don't see why NPs couldn't (though I don't think either one is considered qualified to be the primary attendant; I think either a CNM or an OB/GYN has to officiate). However, the NP would have to have privileges at the hospital. The two hospitals on Kaua'i no longer have advanced-practice RNs (which include CNMs and NPs). Something about cost-cutting measures. I don't understand it.
#6 of 6 Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post
Hey, speaking of CNM, does anyone know if NP's can assist with births in HI? My cousin had wanted a specific NP to help her birth, but the military hospital told them that NP's aren't allowed to assist with hospital birth.
The military hospital has a "midwife" program that is often thought to be in name only, not practice. It is one of the more rigid places to birth on the island and a lot of military mamas choose homebirth with NPs and homebirth midwifes.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page