BLACKOUT on Oahu - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So...what did everyone DO? (reminder: PG13 - but I will be looking at birth records in about 40 weeks)
Any good stories?

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 AM

DH had just started cooking dinner so he finished on the grill stir fried garlic shrimp on bread since the rice cooker couldn't work.then I happily drank red wine and we gathered around the warm glowing glow of our portable DVD player.I know,so unatural. DD did worry about zombies but we reassured her.
Did you see Oahu made CNN?I think it was just because of our vacationing future prez.We didn't make the news a couple of weeks ago.
What did you do?

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

Old 12-29-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

drove home in crazy traffic

Poor Maya thought when her Daddy was putting on his uniform to go to work that he might leave before I got home - poor girl and guy - they were both so sad at the thought!

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailuaMamatoMaya View Post
So...what did everyone DO? (reminder: PG13 - but I will be looking at birth records in about 40 weeks)
Any good stories?

Not on Oahu, and didn't lose power, but thought of you all as I watched the news (and my catchment overflow.

Funny, Dh built us a new bed during the downpour

Hope every mama endured, snuggled and kept the keiki warm and brave.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had just come home from Foodland as the lights in the store started flickering.

We lit a lot of candles which freaked out our old dog. She's scared of anything with a bit of fire.

DD was enjoying all the candles in the house but we had to keep her away from them.

We grilled some steaks in our outdoor grill and ate it with some vegetables that been cooked earlier. We wondered if President-Elect Obama was going through the same thing but we figured he must have had several generators at the estate he's staying at.

We put DD to bed and listened to Perry & Price on the radio until we fell asleep.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 AM

Listened to Perry and Price too, LOL. Lit candles, ate snacks, chilled out. DH had overnight duty so no R-rated fun for me. I'm already pregnant though LOL.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 AM

Are you guys ready for "round 2" LOL??

No school tomorrow here! Crazy!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sitting here wondering if Round 2 is coming?!!?

No school though....

Old 02-15-2009, 02:43 PM

What caused these blackouts?
Old 02-15-2009, 03:16 PM

The wind and a teeny bit of lightening LOL. One downfall about Hawaii is we are our own powergrid...so if one fails, sometimes they domino and that's what happened in December. We had an island-wide blackout. When I say black-out, I mean it LOL!! It was PITCH DARK out!

It's not like we can hook up to other cities power grids or call in another state to help...we all had to just wait until Hawaiian Electric got it hooked back up, slowly. I think mine was out about 18 hrs in December.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

It was a direct hit to a power grid station near the top of a mtn. which caused cascading blackouts that were a safety part of the grid so that the lightening storm did not blow out all the transformers/stations. So one hit to the grid (or up to 3 possibly in the same area) tripped off the system for safety - and it took 12-18 hours to bring the power stations back up one by one. Also - it was a bit slower because they went out-of-order to get the Aikahi grid that Obama was on up first.

In the end the system worked well to protect itself from a much longer blackout had damage occurred.

And hellz yeah it's really dark with NO light in the middle of an ocean, whoa!

User Tag List