Ongoing Alaska Chat ~~ New for January 2009!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 121 Old 01-17-2009, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree about the Chinook winds coming around often but not like this! Holy Hannah! there is nothing but grass left in our yard and the ubber quick thaw has made out basement wall leak! This sucks.
#62 of 121 Old 01-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Okay but why can't they take money from something that is not useful ..... Sounds like extra teacher money might have been nice to have as well.
But the program was faulty and as such was NOT useful. The teacher incentive program was set up so that schools that passed their NCLB stuff got bonuses. It is a divisive program. It pays everyone from the particular school from janitors to principals a bonus, no matter if that teacher JUST got to that school and influenced the outcome scores or not.. A brand new teacher that doesn't know what they are doing (not that all new teachers are bad, just an example) could get a bonus in a school where the kids come from wealthy families while teachers that work their butts off in a school where the primary language is not English for example doesn't get it. The program is not equitable because of this discrepancy (problems with NCLB really rather than problems with the State), so when it was awarded in the past, the staff refused it and sent it back. EVERY staff member in that school. Even the custodians and food servers.- obviously the program doesn't work when teachers refuse money.

So although I am open to getting more money to teachers (cough, cough), it has to be done the right way, and the incentive money was just sitting there.. I would MUCH rather it go to kids who need health insurance.
#63 of 121 Old 01-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Wait, you are closed when schools are closed? Why? Where are the kids supposed to go if they can't go to school?
I suspect the reasoning is that if there is too much ice & snow for school age kids to get to school. Then staff, and little kids couldn't safely get their either. My daycare is infant to pre-school so there isn't an issue of not having a place to go if schools aren't open - mom or dad just has to make other arrangements, like staying home.

My work is getting clobbered by the weather though this week. On Monday, the pipes froze in my office building causing sewage to back up into the 1st floor bathroom and out into the hallway. So, no potties for the building. Makes an work day interesting - hold the coffee. Then I took off Thursday to stay home with DS.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#64 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
A brand new teacher that doesn't know what they are doing (not that all new teachers are bad, just an example) could get a bonus in a school where the kids come from wealthy families while teachers that work their butts off in a school where the primary language is not English for example doesn't get it.
But, it wasn't just the wealthy schools that got the bonus. It was also received by Title 1. It was a 3 Tier system. Or, was it 2? Geez, can't recall that far back. lol
#65 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 AM

Seriously, I'd like to see the end of teacher tenure, then have third-party evaluations and teacher pay incentives on an individual scale (ie, not the whole school, but just the individual teacher). Tenure is such a flawed system because
experience does not always = competence
newness does not always = incompetence
At least that's my perspective as a former teacher/wife of a teacher/daughter of a teacher/granddaughter of teachers. I've been watching this insanity for years and it frustrates me to no end.

NCLB may have been created with good intentions, but it's a crummy piece of legislation--every teacher I know thinks so.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#66 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
But, it wasn't just the wealthy schools that got the bonus. It was also received by Title 1. It was a 3 Tier system. Or, was it 2? Geez, can't recall that far back. lol
Retirement is a three tier system. That is different than this program. The schools that met all the NCLB requirements got the bonus- my point is that that tends to be the schools with wealthier kids. Therefore, the system is flawed, and divisive. Even the teachers unions said so.
#67 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Seriously, I'd like to see the end of teacher tenure, then have third-party evaluations and teacher pay incentives on an individual scale (ie, not the whole school, but just the individual teacher). Tenure is such a flawed system because
experience does not always = competence
newness does not always = incompetence
At least that's my perspective as a former teacher/wife of a teacher/daughter of a teacher/granddaughter of teachers. I've been watching this insanity for years and it frustrates me to no end.

NCLB may have been created with good intentions, but it's a crummy piece of legislation--every teacher I know thinks so.
I agree.
#68 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
I suspect the reasoning is that if there is too much ice & snow for school age kids to get to school. Then staff, and little kids couldn't safely get their either. My daycare is infant to pre-school so there isn't an issue of not having a place to go if schools aren't open - mom or dad just has to make other arrangements, like staying home.

My work is getting clobbered by the weather though this week. On Monday, the pipes froze in my office building causing sewage to back up into the 1st floor bathroom and out into the hallway. So, no potties for the building. Makes an work day interesting - hold the coffee. Then I took off Thursday to stay home with DS.

Right but I wasn't really asking about snow/cold/ice days. Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I am more curious about teachers' inservice days and such that the kids are off. Parents wouldn't be off then.
#69 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Retirement is a three tier system. That is different than this program. The schools that met all the NCLB requirements got the bonus- my point is that that tends to be the schools with wealthier kids. Therefore, the system is flawed, and divisive. Even the teachers unions said so.
No, the amount of $ paid out by the bonus was different. There were either 2 or 3 different amounts of $ paid to each teacher depending on the SBA results from their school. I know 1 amount was $1000. But, it's not just the wealthy schools. Yeah, the Union was upset but I think that an incentive program is a good idea. Maybe not in this particular format, though. I still think it's pretty cool that a little Spenard school did as well as a wealthy neighborhood school. Interesting at the least!
#70 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
But the program was faulty and as such was NOT useful. The teacher incentive program was set up so that schools that passed their NCLB stuff got bonuses. It is a divisive program. It pays everyone from the particular school from janitors to principals a bonus, no matter if that teacher JUST got to that school and influenced the outcome scores or not.. A brand new teacher that doesn't know what they are doing (not that all new teachers are bad, just an example) could get a bonus in a school where the kids come from wealthy families while teachers that work their butts off in a school where the primary language is not English for example doesn't get it. The program is not equitable because of this discrepancy (problems with NCLB really rather than problems with the State), so when it was awarded in the past, the staff refused it and sent it back. EVERY staff member in that school. Even the custodians and food servers.- obviously the program doesn't work when teachers refuse money.

So although I am open to getting more money to teachers (cough, cough), it has to be done the right way, and the incentive money was just sitting there.. I would MUCH rather it go to kids who need health insurance.
Ah, thank you so much for clearing that up! I needed to see the bigger picture!
#71 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 AM

Nice opportunity.

Quote:
Hi All,

Sam here from Alaska Center for Acupuncture. Rinn Mandeville, CDM, CPM and Rebecca McKimmey, CDM just opened their Midwifery Practice in Palmer and they will be doing a FREE presentation at our Acupuncture Center entitled "The Wisdom of Our Birthing Bodies." The
presentation will be from 7-8pm on Wednesday, January 21st. Please
pass the info along to anyone you know in the Valley who is interested in learning more about natural childbirth and homebirth specifically.

Here's a link to a printable flyer you can hang in your office or
workplace:

http://www.alaskaacupuncture.com/pdf/birthing_2009.pdf

Thanks!
-Sam

P.S. We have free talks every month at our center featuring a member of the healthcare community - so if anyone has a presentation they would like to offer in the Valley please contact us. We have space for about 20-25 people. To learn more about us, visit:
http://www.AlaskaAcupuncture.com

or call 907-745-8688
#72 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
This is why I am soooo grateful for DH and his job. I get awfully frustrated with both him and his job at times, but it allows me to stay home with our son and very soon our daughter.

I wish we had huge communities of women to gather around us, much like you would read about in The Red Tent.
My husband only earns $2000 a month, so his salary isn't allowing me to stay home. If I worked, we'd be putting out more in childcare than I was bringing home.

I've never heard of that book, but I will have to look into it. It sounds interesting.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#73 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I read on ADN today that Valley of the Moon area roads are closed off due to flooding and one person's home was evacuated.. OMG.
Quote:

There needs to be affordable childcare and an equitable living wage for caregivers. I've taken about 10 years off from being an "active" activist - I feel it rising up again.

Maternity Leave, Childcare, Sustainable Energy, Clean Water and now I'm pulling out my anti-death penalty material as well.

Quote:
My work is getting clobbered by the weather though this week. On Monday, the pipes froze in my office building causing sewage to back up into the 1st floor bathroom and out into the hallway. So, no potties for the building. Makes an work day interesting - hold the coffee.
EW!

And how uncomfortable!

And here's a link to another thread I started about a tree falling on our trailer house.

I also want to add that I was shocked watching the news regarding the flooding in Anchorage. One culvert?!?! for the entire city?

Seriously, I thought the road maintenance was one of the worst things I've seen in this city since I moved here. But no proper drainage? This city seems miles behind it's development here.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#74 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
My husband only earns $2000 a month, so his salary isn't allowing me to stay home. If I worked, we'd be putting out more in childcare than I was bringing home.

I've never heard of that book, but I will have to look into it. It sounds interesting.
The Red Tent is a good read.
#75 of 121 Old 01-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

Sam here from Alaska Center for Acupuncture. Rinn Mandeville, CDM, CPM and Rebecca McKimmey, CDM just opened their Midwifery Practice in Palmer and they will be doing a FREE presentation at our Acupuncture Center entitled "The Wisdom of Our Birthing Bodies." The
presentation will be from 7-8pm on Wednesday, January 21st. Please
pass the info along to anyone you know in the Valley who is interested in learning more about natural childbirth and homebirth specifically.

Here's a link to a printable flyer you can hang in your office or
workplace:

http://www.alaskaacupuncture.com/pdf/birthing_2009.pdf

Thanks!
-Sam

P.S. We have free talks every month at our center featuring a member of the healthcare community - so if anyone has a presentation they would like to offer in the Valley please contact us. We have space for about 20-25 people. To learn more about us, visit:
http://www.AlaskaAcupuncture.com

or call 907-745-8688
this looks great! Anyone want to carpool? I would be coming from Tudor/Muldoon curve.
#76 of 121 Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Right but I wasn't really asking about snow/cold/ice days. Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I am more curious about teachers' inservice days and such that the kids are off. Parents wouldn't be off then.
Okay. My center is open on those days. Just closed on some federal holidays & 2 days for Thanksgiving & 2 for Christmas.

On in-service days & in the summer they take "alumnae" kids. These are kids who attended when they were younger or have younger siblings enrolled. On days they can't go to school, they come to the center and usually serve as helpers or special play-mates. Over winter break, the helper in my son's room eas a 7th grader "erin." My son cried every day when her mom came to pick up her and her4 y.o. little brother. (incidentally, they aren't actually put to work. But most help play, read & feed the little ones.)

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#77 of 121 Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Okay. My center is open on those days. Just closed on some federal holidays & 2 days for Thanksgiving & 2 for Christmas.

On in-service days & in the summer they take "alumnae" kids. These are kids who attended when they were younger or have younger siblings enrolled. On days they can't go to school, they come to the center and usually serve as helpers or special play-mates. Over winter break, the helper in my son's room eas a 7th grader "erin." My son cried every day when her mom came to pick up her and her4 y.o. little brother. (incidentally, they aren't actually put to work. But most help play, read & feed the little ones.)
Ahhhh, thanks for the further information. What a wonderful idea to put the "big kids" to "work". It's good for the bigs, and good for the littles.
#78 of 121 Old 01-23-2009, 03:05 AM

Can't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but I have a Nourishing Traditions class in my home in Willow this Saturday at 1:30 pm.
PM me if you want to come and I can give you directions.
The class is free, and will cover the first 3rd of Sally Fallon's DVD on Traditional Foods.
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#79 of 121 Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM

Would you like a burger with that SHAKE Shake?

Wow, it nearly woke DP up this morning.. I was ready to grab the kids!
#80 of 121 Old 01-24-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Would you like a burger with that SHAKE Shake?

Wow, it nearly woke DP up this morning.. I was ready to grab the kids!
EarthQuake??

I thought I felt something but I feel that shaking a lot and was not sure if it is an earthquake or just my heavy footed hubby! LOL
#81 of 121 Old 01-24-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
EarthQuake??

I thought I felt something but I feel that shaking a lot and was not sure if it is an earthquake or just my heavy footed hubby! LOL
http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/Seis/rece...evid88513.html

Yes, It was an earthquake I felt this morning........
#82 of 121 Old 01-24-2009, 11:16 PM

What earthquake?

I must have been sleeping heavy.

Many of you know how much I needed a good sleep last night.

Ha ha. I just clicked on the link. 9:09 am...

I think I actually woke up momentarily around that time and went back to sleep.

Maybe that was when Abigail crawled into bed with me from her mattress on the floor next to our bed (her very first time ever sleeping all night down there! I read her to sleep and waited until she was snoring before leaving her side).

I'll bet she felt it and it woke her up and that was why she climbed in bed with me.

I think we all three slept until nearly 11 AM though.

#83 of 121 Old 01-25-2009, 12:30 AM

That was rather widespread! I felt and heard it quite strongly in Willow!
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#84 of 121 Old 01-25-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
That was rather widespread! I felt and heard it quite strongly in Willow!
Paula
It was pretty strong at our house, but short with no aftershocks. I am SO glad there was no tsunami .. that I think was a clear possibility with that one..
#85 of 121 Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM

I didn't feel a thing. But I'm okay with that. Was there much damage anywhere?
#86 of 121 Old 01-25-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I didn't feel a thing. But I'm okay with that. Was there much damage anywhere?
I didn't see any damage reported.. art house/s in Homer was very concerned that they would find broken glass in their shops, but only one metal object was found on the floor (not breakable).. they said that pieces had been moved around a bit, but none apparently got close enough to an edge to fall over/off..

:
#87 of 121 Old 01-25-2009, 03:30 PM

here's me this week http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=13062292

kinda pulling my hair out over it.

#88 of 121 Old 01-25-2009, 03:32 PM

ooo, earthquake. nada down here, but we're 1000 miles from anchorage. Hopefully I'll be there for the next one

#89 of 121 Old 01-25-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
here's me this week http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=13062292

kinda pulling my hair out over it.
hey, relax, if you are pg (and here's hoping!) stress is NOT going to make you feel better (nor baby)..

What did women do about this a couple of hundred years ago? I guess they just waited 9 months until the baby showed up?
#90 of 121 Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
hey, relax, if you are pg (and here's hoping!) stress is NOT going to make you feel better (nor baby)..

What did women do about this a couple of hundred years ago? I guess they just waited 9 months until the baby showed up?
yeah, I know.
Either AF will come or it wont...and if it does, that's an answer, and if it doesn't...well, I've realized that by a week from now I should be feeling sick so that should be an answer as well, right?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page