Ongoing Alaska Chat ~~ New for January 2009!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 121 Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year!!!
: : :

Here's to a new beginning -- may you each find every happiness you seek.

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 121 Old 01-02-2009, 06:16 PM

Right now, the happiness I seek is warmer weather. And yes, I know, some of y'all are a lot colder than we are here in the Valley.

We tried to drive out to Knik glacier yesterday. Didn't quite make it all the way back there due to the snow drifts, though it looks like some people made it out there on snow machines. We were within a couple miles, though. Amazingly beautiful country out there. Bit cold, though, even in the truck. And going pee was really not fun.
#3 of 121 Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Now WHO is delivering fresh produce from the valley?

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/640276.html
#4 of 121 Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 PM

I had heard something last year about Valley farmers selling to Anchorage restaurants. W do get some lovely produce out here, so I can see where it would make sense. Much cheaper to ship from the Valley than overseas, too.
#5 of 121 Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Right now, the happiness I seek is warmer weather.
:

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#6 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 AM

-20 in Anchorage is pretty cold. Comparable to the -30's and colder in Fairbanks.

I could go for some warm too. I was actually cold today at work. that was NO fun at all.
#7 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 05:38 AM

I am freezing. I can't believe I was raised in Fairbanks, these -20 temps have me dreaming of moving to someplace warm and moderate. Ugh, when will it end!? Are all of your kiddos as stir crazy as mine?

On a positive note, Bouncin' Bears is open in Anchorage now! I didn't know, guess they've been open for a while. www.bouncinbearsanchorage.com We've been out to the valley locations a few times, gonna check out the BB in town soon.
#8 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 03:20 PM

That looks interesting! There used to be a similar co. up in the Northway Mall, I believe. Arctic Gym has open hours and is pretty fun, too. I've actually gone to the gym 6 straight days w/the kids so they can use the playroom ball pits and run around. Swimming almost everyday, too. I just can't believe it's too cold to run outside. It's -19' on my deck right now. :

Funny, since I've gotten back into gym mode, I did some googling on the AK Club Fbks. I didn't realize it has a pool!! : I'm taking the kids camping up around Denali, Fbks for 10 days in June and we plan to hit the gym everyday for some indoor lighting and plumbing. lol

oh just brrrrrr I'm ready to go outside....
#9 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 06:18 PM

it was -40 at my house this morning when I took the dogs out, we just paid $75 to have out water delivered instead of dealing with hauling it ourselves for $9. At this temp. it seems worth the $66.

Something positive about all this cold, it sure makes 0 degrees feel positively balmy! I also always get a kick out of square tires.

Stay warm everyone, DH said that the online forecast is expecting it to last all week up here in Fairbanks.

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#10 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
Stay warm everyone, DH said that the online forecast is expecting it to last all week up here in Fairbanks.
Shhhhh! I don't want to hear about it! think warm thoughts.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#11 of 121 Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 PM

Yeah, due to break end of the week here in Anch. Fri may be a balmy 10'

Oh, my friend who walks to/from work in Fbks, said the readerboard today was -62' when he passed it in the ice fog.... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
#12 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
Shhhhh! I don't want to hear about it! think warm thoughts.

sigh...my propane has been frozen for 4 days now...I am seriously running out of non-stovetop ideas...ideas anyone...creative crockpot cooking????

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#13 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh! I'm sick of being sick! I picked up a head cold while on vacation, and am STILL sick from it! I'm so miserable...

It just occurred to us the other night that we don't have anyone to watch our dog when I give birth. Anyone have a kennel they recommend? or any other suggestions?

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#14 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 AM

what about the Delta Lumber people? They breed and raise pugs. also they are on the highway on the way to Fairbanks just our old house. Mile 273 maybe???

Nice folks.
#15 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 05:48 AM

Anyone know of a church or other organization that takes clothes donations but instead of selling them they just give them away to needy people???

Also looking for information about this "backyard coalition" and Title 21??? I guess they are working on something to help make it easier to have a couple of chickens in Anchorage???
#16 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Anyone know of a church or other organization that takes clothes donations but instead of selling them they just give them away to needy people???

Also looking for information about this "backyard coalition" and Title 21??? I guess they are working on something to help make it easier to have a couple of chickens in Anchorage???

Well, if it is children's clothes (most likely just baby and toddler sizes) a pregnancy center would probably take them. I know here in the Valley we have HeartReach, but am not sure what is in Anchorage. Try calling Anchorage Baptist Temple. If they don't have something set up, they could hopefully point you in the right direction.
#17 of 121 Old 01-04-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
There's always holiday helper!!!

I usually give to Goodwill or St Vincents (SV will pickup...although I don't know if they're up in AK!) If it's available though, I do give to Deseret Industries, which is connected with my church. I don't know how much they have up here in AK either, although I could chase down contact info if you don't find anybody else. They do sell some things, but when families are in need they will let them 'shop' for free, and they also send some things to third world countries and things like that. Also in their stores they do a lot of hiring those who need jobs to help them get on their feet and things like that.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#18 of 121 Old 01-05-2009, 01:53 AM

Or just do freecycle. We've given away tons via that group and always seen it positively. We had one lady p/u some old futons, sheets & kid stuff who said she had 3 single Moms w/kids living w/her. Totally believed her.

Wow, 7 days in a row of hitting the gym & swimming pool. I am READY for some temps close to 0.
#19 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 AM

If you're interested, I'm from the Kenai Peninsula and I'm working on starting a project called the Cuddle Bug Clothing Project, which gives a bundle of infant and toddler clothing to individuals for the price of shipping (if they're local, there's no shipping) and a $5 fee to cover the detergents, stain removers, and costs associated with donation pick-up and such.

We're hoping to have everything launched by January, but unless we get more donations, I don't see it happening.

http://www.cuddlebugclothing.com if you want more information.

[B]Due on Valentine's Day.
I refuse to be sliced again and I'm documenting my efforts not to be.
#20 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 02:43 PM

Wow. Its cold. And windy. Hellacious windy. Brrr.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#21 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthavv View Post
If you're interested, I'm from the Kenai Peninsula and I'm working on starting a project called the Cuddle Bug Clothing Project, which gives a bundle of infant and toddler clothing to individuals for the price of shipping (if they're local, there's no shipping) and a $5 fee to cover the detergents, stain removers, and costs associated with donation pick-up and such.

We're hoping to have everything launched by January, but unless we get more donations, I don't see it happening.

what a neat idea! I hope it work out well!!

#22 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post

...I am seriously running out of non-stovetop ideas...ideas anyone...
for that reason i have a little electric stovestop works fantastic wasn't very pricey and no gas needed. I think I got it at Freds? or maybe SamsClub.

Quote:
Women's shelter always needs women/children/baby clothing and other items. If you got teenaged sized things you might also check with Covenant House.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#23 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 PM

Well, Andrew got orders, though he expects them to change before we actually get out of here. Will miss Alaska, but I am somewhat excited to move. I rather like going new places and whatnot. But, now I have to get the house ready to sell on top of everything else I am already doing. But we have a meeting with our realtor tomorrow night to get things going. Never gone through this before, though, as this was our first house. And we'll probably be back to renting when we move. So, please pray the house sells.
#24 of 121 Old 01-06-2009, 08:19 PM

nak
we might be moving too. we just did a trip back east and my dad is at that point where I feel like he needs me.

the idea of leaving ak is very surreal. my dh's family does have property in the poconos and offered it to us.
#25 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthavv View Post

that is an awesome Idea! But unfortunately, I have not had a toddler in my house for 5 years!

thanks everyone for the information. I'll find somewhere around here!
#26 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Well, Andrew got orders, though he expects them to change before we actually get out of here. Will miss Alaska, but I am somewhat excited to move. I rather like going new places and whatnot. But, now I have to get the house ready to sell on top of everything else I am already doing. But we have a meeting with our realtor tomorrow night to get things going. Never gone through this before, though, as this was our first house. And we'll probably be back to renting when we move. So, please pray the house sells.
Ah, we are going to miss you!
Where are you headed???
I wish you all the best on the house! We just bought and as far as I know the market is still decent! Let me know when you are listed. I might know some one looking. They are Army.
#27 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrozncavegrl View Post
nak
we might be moving too. we just did a trip back east and my dad is at that point where I feel like he needs me.

the idea of leaving ak is very surreal. my dh's family does have property in the poconos and offered it to us.
We have older parents too. My dad is 70 and all alone. I worry about him. But he has obnoxious dogs he wont leave and I wont allow in my house.
We brought my MIL up here to stay. Please pray for me! LOL
#28 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Ah, we are going to miss you!
Where are you headed???
I wish you all the best on the house! We just bought and as far as I know the market is still decent! Let me know when you are listed. I might know some one looking. They are Army.
Well, they are telling us Las Vegas, but we are expecting that to change. As for the house, if you know someone looking out here in the Valley, we're hoping to be up and listed within the next week or two. Not sure whatall we have to do before being listed, but we'll find out more tomorrow. I will try and remember to say something when we are up.
#29 of 121 Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
But, now I have to get the house ready to sell on top of everything else I am already doing. But we have a meeting with our realtor tomorrow night to get things going. Never gone through this before, though, as this was our first house. And we'll probably be back to renting when we move. So, please pray the house sells.
Quote:
As for the house, if you know someone looking out here in the Valley, we're hoping to be up and listed within the next week or two. Not sure whatall we have to do before being listed, but we'll find out more tomorrow. I will try and remember to say something when we are up.
In the valley? when will you be going? We hope to be moving there around June 1... We have a pretty small budget for the moment, so I don't know if we'd be in the market to buy it (although you could PM me with bed/bath count and rough asking price ) BUT if you haven't sold yet by June (and it's out of our range, and DH's job is within commuting range) we might be interested in renting for a few months or something... we'd really like to buy but we don't have a way to get up there in person prior to actually moving, so we figure we're stuck with renting for a little while anyway.

#30 of 121 Old 01-08-2009, 06:48 AM

Well, ladies, since we are moving this spring, we are clearing stuff out. I am going to have a sort of indoor yard sale, I think. Haven't quite worked out all the details. But anyway, I know I will have quite a lot of books -- adult books, youth books, kids books, toddler books, all ages. I will have some homeschool stuff. I will probably have a few toys and movies. And I am sure I'll have some other random stuff, including a few pieces of furniture. So, if anyone is interested in looking through my stuff, let me know and we'll work something out. Or if there is something specific you are looking for. Oh, and for the record, I would like to sell the stuff rather than give it away, but mostly it just needs to go, so please don't feel like you have to pay or that you'll be paying lots of money or whatever. I negotiate. And most likely, you'll get your way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page